HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2014, 03:19 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
699 Posts
Jim, sorry the parts didn't turn out as you expected, but thanks for posting the result here. Sometimes you get more info from "what not to do" than successes. I look forward to seeing what you come up with to remedy the situation... I know the end product will be outstanding! Still really enjoying your two builds going!
shoey is online now Find More Posts by shoey
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:17 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,977 Posts
I can definitely see why you are using foam because I have had a tough time keepibg weight down using glass with mine. My bombs are big (34"long), but the best ilI have been able to do is 3.5ozs. First one was 5.5. Just keep at it!
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Aug 17, 2014, 06:29 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
Shoey... Thanks for the feed back. Yes, failures make one more creative which furthers the hobby.
Tumbler..... Nice work on the ordinance. For that size it seems you are getting good results. Nice pics.

So after flying this morning I decided to give it another go. Last night I was thinking that one of my issues maybe the flex in the mold. The silicone that I'm using is a bit softer than other types that I normally use and may be the problem. This stuff is designed for super high details and not being able to pressure cure it makes it a bit flexible. So I built up enclosing walls around the molds so that I could clamp them together from all sides. I also, cut pour vents into the tops of the molds where I had smaller air vents. I then poured in from the top keeping the mold vertical and used less foam.

It worked!! So as you can see in the pics. I have to sand the pod nose points back after molding which is acceptable. The pour that I did today was with no prep to the molds. So no primer or skinning. I let the foam harden for three hours and so far no deformation of the foam after it comes out of the molds. So tomorrow, I'll try one with primed walls but no skin except in the detailed parts.

At least I had 95% success without hardly any flashing and that makes me think that a stiffer silicone will be better for the next go around. Well these pods are costing about $250 to make but should come out ready to mount and thats worth it.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Aug 18, 2014, 09:51 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,159 Posts
The repeatability will be fantastic, I am impressed with your efforts. I can make stuff all day long but a one off is only good for the first "re-kit". You have some longevity going here, that's what impresses me!
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:06 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,845 Posts
lookin great!!!!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 24, 2014, 05:44 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
Eddie..... Yes, the plan all along is to have the ability to manufacture parts when required. I'm a firm believer that spending big bucks on molds and such that it makes sense to go the extra mile and have re-production capability.

Thanks Nut.......

I'll be away for a few days due to a must do trip. BTW, today I maddened the T28 with all going very well. So she should be with the two Euros in Vegas.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:10 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,066 Posts
Congrats on the maiden Ace! Did you get any video?
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:48 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,845 Posts
exellent news jim!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut