Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:18 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
Yes Luis, get lighter high power lipo's like 2S 325mah G6 thunder powers from rclipos.com.

This is most important! You must go the best to help get through the maiden launch and flight while trimming after launch. Make sure you have high and low rates ready to go in case it is too wild on high rates!

Nice nose work Kevin.
I smeared my nose in epoxy to make it strong.

With it being winter here, it has meant the grass is rough and long so I haven't flown my Hawk for a while. Being so small and coming in hot means catching a hard tuft of grass may spin it and break it which I am not interested in risking. Poor nitro - starting to treat his Hawk like a baby.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio View Post
Kevin,

Very nice turtle deck! Why didnīt you told me before your idea? If I knew, I would make mine just like your deck . Now itīs late, mine is already glued in place. But thereīs no problem, letīs do the second Bae Hawk just like that! It is more scale with the curved detail, but I would use 2mm depron, I think it will be better to curve and the effect easier to do Did you put carbon fiber rods in the leading edge of the wings? Since it is a very small jet, we have to care about any extra weight, I think mine was a few heavy.
THANKS Luis!!!

I didn't plan the turtledeck until the day I did it (Saturday)...The turtledeck is made from 2mm Depron---I just used some 6mm triangular strips on the corners so that I could get aggressive with the sandpaper to round the corners...Since this is my first rodeo making a complete model from Depron (I've made flat replacement parts for some micros) I don't yet have the experience/confidence to bend Depron with heat to make a one piece 2mm turtledeck...As far as making more of these Hawks I do have 3 more 18" x 36" sheets of 2mm Depron in my shop...There's a plane or two (or 1/2 dozen!!!...) begging to be born from those virgin sheets!!!......

I did put 1mm carbon fiber rods along the leading edges of the wings...The weight of them is only a couple of grams at the most...Reason for the CF on the leading edges is that I do occasionally fly from open fields of field grass...Past experience (GP Sabre) shows that even a small 1/8" in diameter hard stick can really tear up the leading edges, causing a 1/2" to 3/4" gash in the leading edge...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:29 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,393 Posts
Hi Dave, you mean this battery here?

TP325-2SPP65J * 7.4V * 325 * 21.1A * 42.2A 44.0 x 24.0 x 13.0 22g In Stock $16.99 (from RCLipos)

If so, it is only 4gr lighter than the Turnigy 2S 370mAh, that weighs: 26.22gr Will it worth to save 4gr?

Iīll use the Spektrum DX6i DSMX that I recently bought on ebay for this bae hawk and is here with me brand new! And about the high and low rates, you mean Iīll need to be able to change it while flying ? Or to set it according to the kind of flight, after see the need of put it with high or low rates?

I did put the taller arms in the micro servos to let it get more movements. But I know how faster it is, less movements it needs, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Yes Luis, get lighter high power lipo's like 2S 325mah G6 thunder powers from rclipos.com.

This is most important! You must go the best to help get through the maiden launch and flight while trimming after launch. Make sure you have high and low rates ready to go in case it is too wild on high rates!
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:34 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
Yes, that lipo - way smaller and has way more punch than the nano-tech. 4g of weight is almost 10% of the weight of the model so yes - it is very important!

best to read the txer manual about setting rates up on it Luis so you have a full understanding of it.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,393 Posts
Ok Dave, your words are an order to me, Iīll buy a couple of them

Iīll read the DX6I manual to learn how to set quickly the rates
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,007 Posts
Worked on the T-45 more this evening...

I got the foam canopy shaped and fit to the fuselage...On the bottom of the canopy I added indexing strips to align the canopy to the fuselage...This greatly aided in keeping the canopy firmly indexed to the fuselage to be able to accurately sand the foam to shape...

Like the nose cone I used florist foam for the canopy...Next comes the sealing of the foam...I'm going to use epoxy for this instead of adding the veil like I did to the nose cone/turtledeck...The black areas in the pics are carbon veil which is ultra light...I used the veil to harden the foam...I added another piece of foam to the turtledeck to fully round it out...The carbon veil added stiffness...One of the bad things about glueing foam together and feather edge sanding it to shape is that the glue is harder than the foam, leaving ridges when sanding where the glue has been applied...I used the veil to smooth out and harden where I added the extra foam...

Back to the canopy---I think that I got the shape right!!!.......It fits well to boot......After I seal the canopy and fill the pores of the foam I'm going to hollow out the canopy for lightness...I'm not going to go with a clear canopy as this takes time to shape a form and make the canopy...The canopy will be painted and shadowed to create depth...I'm shooting for a maiden this weekend!!!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,007 Posts
I'm ECSTATIC!!!.....

I just weighed my T-45 but without the vertical stab and mine weighed in @ 53.2 grams!!!......I still have some filling to do, paint the model, and install the 2 gram RX so it will gain some weight---But---I still need to cut off the long/heavy ESC and battery wires---So, I'll loose a couple of grams there...I'm anxious to see how light this baby is gonna be!!...The battery I'm going to use is a 3S Hyperion 240mAh 25C..

Kevin
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:19 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Kevin I know you have the fan and two servos in there when weighed. If you pile everything on the scale right now, including battery, no trimming wires, do you have that weight. Sounds like you are really in the right range for a super light finished airframe.

My favorite thread right now too, BTW. Been working on an idea today that may pan out, but no talkie unless it pans out.

Something is coming, or is that leaving.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:39 PM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Nederland, GE, Wageningen
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Yeah, sure, be that way! Just leave us here wondering what that idea could be...
hanzie is offline Find More Posts by hanzie
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:59 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
What a big tease you are Fred!

Good weight there Kevin. I think the excitement is building for all to see these take flight.

I'll admit I feel a little nervous for you both with the upcoming maidens....
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:14 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
What a big tease you are Fred!
No I am not............ So here you go...........

This is just a hint though.

That is all......

Fred

Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:25 PM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Nederland, GE, Wageningen
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Ooooooowwwww, I know that one! It's in IL-2 isn't it? It's either a Yak- or a Lagg- something if I'm right. Did you draw it yourself?
I have also been thinking of making one some time ago. I'd say go for it! (If thats what your plan was)
Hanzie

Edit: No, wait, those had a tailwheel. Hmmmm....
hanzie is offline Find More Posts by hanzie
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,393 Posts
Little nervous?

No.. Iīm much more than this! I planning to handlaunch my Bae Hawk this weekend, in the morning without any wind. Here in Brazil the season (winter), there are great mornings with Zero wind

I remember my first flight with a Graupner Tipsy, when the plane was flying and I my legs were shaking so much Iīm sure Iīll feel like that again. I think the big deal and I am worried about trimming it on the air, once it is fast and Iīll use a new radio (DX6I), that I never used before;I allways used FM radios. And the other problem is with the rates, hope this donīt goes like a wild horse in the air

But letīs think positive, it will fly! Donīt you agree friends?

Dave, yesterdat I bought two 2S 325mah G6 thunder powers from rclipos.com.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,393 Posts
This weight with battery???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I'm ECSTATIC!!!.....

I just weighed my T-45 but without the vertical stab and mine weighed in @ 53.2 grams!!!......I still have some filling to do, paint the model, and install the 2 gram RX so it will gain some weight---But---I still need to cut off the long/heavy ESC and battery wires---So, I'll loose a couple of grams there...I'm anxious to see how light this baby is gonna be!!...The battery I'm going to use is a 3S Hyperion 240mAh 25C..

Kevin
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Kevin I know you have the fan and two servos in there when weighed. If you pile everything on the scale right now, including battery, no trimming wires, do you have that weight. Sounds like you are really in the right range for a super light finished airframe.

My favorite thread right now too, BTW. Been working on an idea today that may pan out, but no talkie unless it pans out.

Something is coming, or is that leaving.

Fred
The weight that I quoted is everything except the vertical stab (what can a piece of about 5 square inches of 2mm Depron weigh???) a 2 gram RX, and the 3S 240mAh battery...And no clipped wires as of yet...I'm thinking that the plane will weigh when finished about 3 ounces total---84 grams...At least that's what I'm shooting for!!!......

Today I used some light weight spackling to fill some of the voids around the canopy/turtledeck...I think that the rounded canopy and turtledeck is coming along nicely...I still have more filling to do and progress to finer paper until the plane is as smooth as a baby's rear...Here are some pics as of this evening...

Kevin