HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2001, 08:59 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,806 Posts
Ejf F-22

OK ! I'm sure ill get a phone call tonight but I could not resist posting this. Robert may not want to sell me stuff anymore

I was the guy that got a semi kit from EJF for the hw-750 fan size P-80 (prototype) but was to chicken to fly it and sent it back for Robert and BOB R to test fly.

Well this one is another prototype for the midi fan. It will take retracts with plenty of room and will use a hot brushless motor only. it should be flight ready in a couple of weeks.

I put the coke can on the wing to give scale, I'm thinking of painting it something else than the standard gray any suggestions ?

I wanted to post it after full primer but I ran out and could not wait. I'll be flying this one

I hope i used this new forum software corectly
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2001, 10:09 AM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
OOOOOOOOOH! I like it So what is the airframe weight so far? Do you have glass ducts for the front too? How many cells are you going to run?

Great project.

Gordon
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy
Old Sep 13, 2001, 11:01 AM
CMFC Secretary (UK)
Swindon, UK
Joined Oct 2000
309 Posts
How long have I been waiting for Robert to get a Midi-Fan sized f-22 ?

Looks excellant already !!!

Come on Robert - my Mastercard is waiting
BioHazard is offline Find More Posts by BioHazard
Old Sep 13, 2001, 07:29 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,806 Posts
airframe with radio ,no fan batteries or gear is at 43+oz.

final weight will be around 94+ oz with 14-16 cells

first flight will use 16 1250's, but lots of wing area so it should do good even when i go to 2400's.

anybody have any paint scheme suggestions apart from gray ?

here a scarry one thanks to photoshop
Old Sep 13, 2001, 07:31 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,806 Posts
airframe with radio ,no fan batteries or gear is at 43+oz.

final weight will be around 94+ oz with 14-16 cells

first flight will use 16 1250's, but lots of wing area so it should do good even when i go to 2400's.

anybody have any paint scheme suggestions apart from gray ?

here's a scarry one thanks to photoshop
Old Sep 14, 2001, 02:58 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2001
283 Posts
Daaang Hoser!

Upstaged before even getting out of the gate! Just last night completed a plastic model of an F-22 in preparation for a new scratch EDF project. Was thinking a little bigger (2 X MIDI-fans/1412 Aveox/32-40 cells) inspired by Plane Crazy Gordon. Yours looks way sharp though. Love that blue color sheme; needs some prudent yellow stripes to complete the look . That is the problem with military camo paint schemes : what makes them hard to see from the ground makes them hard to see from the ground! Up until recently, most military projects began with a "sales model" painted in a high contrast, high ground vis color scheme. That particular color became a popular modeling choice. Oh well, I guess times are getting tougher. Even numero uno needs to be a military flyer.

Couple of questions about obvious stumbling points on the F-22 if you wouldn't mind : elevator control and MLG retracts. All flying stabs as in full scale or hinged tailerons? Flaps?

Thanks in Advance for the Info,

Steve Manganelli AKA Prof. Maneuver
Prof. Maneuver is offline Find More Posts by Prof. Maneuver
Old Sep 14, 2001, 08:07 AM
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Joined Nov 2000
667 Posts
Greetings -

I look forward to a flight test report!

You're out of luck for real live paint schemes other than grays, but that's no reason to not use a bit of imagination. One of these days, there may be an F-22 at a Tiger Meet so go with some tiger markings. At the rate we keep aircraft flying for years and years, you could also do a tri-centennial scheme - go back aways and look at some of the great paint schemes used in 1976 for the bicentennial.

Fly Fast! Mark
Mark Nankivil is offline Find More Posts by Mark Nankivil
Old Sep 14, 2001, 09:47 AM
Electriaddict
Melville Saskatchewan Canada
Joined Mar 2001
1,579 Posts
Or you could be presumptuous and try a Thunderbirds or Blue angels scheme?
dorysch1 is offline Find More Posts by dorysch1
Old Sep 14, 2001, 04:42 PM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
I was thinking of a red white and blue stripe scheme with some stars for the F-18 but I think It would work better on the F-22, what better way to fly your flag high .
JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ
Old Sep 14, 2001, 04:46 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,773 Posts
Looks good Hoser.

As for paint schemes you are out of luck dude. But! If it was me looking for a non-scale scheme I woud look at the colorful F-15s flying and model after them. Good luck.

Prof. Maneuver,

The MLG (scale like) would be a problem on a twin but easy on a single IF the wing root is thick enough. Good luck and let me kno w what you com up with.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Sep 14, 2001, 10:06 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,806 Posts
Thanks every one on the complements, should have it 90% by weekend.

the plane will use the mini spring airs with plenty of room, I don't understand the MGL question though ?

the plane will have no flaps I'm assuming it will behave like a delta and I should be able to really slow it down at landing with a high angle of attack.
full flying stabs too.

i woud appreciate any in put on the throws, I have beem flying the wattage f-22 for practice

I built a little scale balsa and paper model to test the CG.

the plane is in full primer now looks like the real one maybe ill do some panel lines and leave it at that If it flies I'm doing something wild for sure.

I will have video taken at the event whatever the outcome.
Old Sep 18, 2001, 01:59 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2001
283 Posts
Hoser-

With regard to the Spring Air retracts : where are you going to put the mains (MLG) and which direction are they going to retract? In the full scale, they appear to telescope staight up, then the axle probably pivots or something. No way germane for a toy airplane! Plz keep us informed.

V/R

Old Sep 18, 2001, 11:31 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,806 Posts
Steve, Hope the pictures help. the gear were located about 1" behind CG on bulkhead. did not want to go back any further which would damper ROG.

the gear swinging back is not optimal but it looks better than going forward since the wing hides the gear hole till I put gear doors on.

go to my site and see it ready for flight in primer at :

http://homepage.mac.com/hoser1/PhotoAlbum.html

If all goes well it should fly this weekend.... wish me luck I hate first flights... especially on prototype kits.

Jose M. Martinez
Last edited by hoser; Sep 18, 2001 at 11:33 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2001, 11:41 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
All right Hoser sounds like we are really cooking. Can't wait to hear about the flight report. I can definitely relate to the needles and pins on first flights. Take a couple of aspirin, a few deep breaths and go for it.

Good Luck.

Gordon
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy
Old Sep 19, 2001, 02:14 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2001
283 Posts
Hoser (or should we call you Jose?)-

Yes, the pictures help. Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post them for me. Kind of what I expected. Rigged up a Byron F-16 a long time ago in roughly the same manner. The secret has got to be the gear doors to cover up the gaping hole. When the gear is up and the doors are closed, it is scale, right? This could be a bit tougher on a twin. Probably end up designing the ducts to fit around the retracted gear.

Good luck on the maiden voyage.

V/R