HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:49 AM
Crash Test Pilot
Houston, TX
Joined May 2004
105 Posts
R.I.P. Slow Stick

After fixing my CG problem, I got up early and went to the field to fly. Everything looked good, so I hand launched her. She climbed fine, but immediately started banking left without any input. Made a few passes around the field, but even with trim could not straighten her out or make her do a right turn. Managed to land somehow without breaking anything. Looked at the plane again. Wing was on straight, rudder was straight, what the heck is going on? I adjusted the rudder to give it a little more right, hand launched her again, and did the exact same thing. When I gave her full right rudder, she barely straightened up.

Well, a couple more passes around the field, and right into the branch of a oak tree about 25 foot off the ground. Sheesh. So I tried the stick thing, couldn't knock it out. Got some twine and fishing weight, and looped the branch and shook it free. Broke the elevator and rudder off, everything else looked fine.

I don't know what happened. Only thing I can figure out is that the wing was warped, but I looked at it closely and couldn't see anything noticeable.

I have a Tiger Moth 400 waiting to be built in my closet. I'm really considering not trying again with the Slow Stick. At least the wings on the Tiger Moth come in one piece. I don't know.

cjmclean is offline Find More Posts by cjmclean
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:06 PM
Pro Bro #1442
Detroit City, Michigan, United States
Joined Oct 2003
520 Posts
Plane Stupid came to the same conclusion about his slow stick. They are just much to delicate. In my opinion they fly unrealistically slow, not truly preparing you for a next plane. We currently have a Smooth-E on the way. Good luck with what ever you chose to do.
W'rkncacnter is offline Find More Posts by W'rkncacnter
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:20 PM
Sanford, FL
Joined Sep 2003
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W'rkncacnter
Plane Stupid came to the same conclusion about his slow stick. They are just much to delicate. In my opinion they fly unrealistically slow, not truly preparing you for a next plane. We currently have a Smooth-E on the way. Good luck with what ever you chose to do.

Unrealistically slow for what ? A Slowflyer ? This is a slow flying plane that is advertised as just that. If you need more speed - get bigger batteries or a bigger motor.

And a Slowstick not preparing you for your plane depends on what your next plane is going to be.

And if the photography guys can load a modified slowstick up to 28oz and fly it to over 1,500 feet I dont think delicacy is an issue in the right hands.

And I've yet to see a plane that can slam into an oak tree, fall 25 feet to the ground and land without any damage and still float the way a slowstick does. And when all is said and done he only broke the tail and rudder.

This is a cheap plane - if you want anything that is much better (in the same class) you need to spend around $100.

Digsy
digsy is offline Find More Posts by digsy
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:21 PM
space for sale
Joined Sep 2003
181 Posts
My slow stick had the same problem I did ok but it just would not turn very fast to the left. My guess is the wing is warped plus my one has less dihedral than the slow sticks I have seen on rc groups. The end for my slow stick came when I destroyed the gear box.
plane stupid is offline Find More Posts by plane stupid
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:37 PM
Moncks Corner S. C.
Joined Jun 2003
1,387 Posts
i gave away my slow stick last year due to the same problem. the guy i gve it to found out the wing was warped. he put it on top of his SS wing and the warp was easy to see.
Mangyrat is offline Find More Posts by Mangyrat
Old Jun 10, 2004, 02:57 PM
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!
Knoxville Tyson, Tennesse, United States
Joined Feb 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Problem come and problems go, but the GWS Slow Stick is designed to be slow!
Hey that rhymes, does that make me a poet?
Planes are designed differently to do different things. I don't think an all out fast acrobatics screamer is what a newbie needs to learn to fly on. I also don't remember reading about the fine pictures made from an on board camera attached to an or a Smooth-E or a Hobbico Super Star. That's not to say that they are not fine planes in their own respect, but I can't replace one of these for $35 bucks either.
Different strokes for different folks.
I love my SS after years of flying. I've got one that's been flying for over a year. I still love to watch it float along, and still be able to loop at will.
Don't be so critical of a plane that you can not master. I'd say that 95% of the time, problems are as a result of pilot, and (or) builder error and not the plane. Constuction is very important, Tuning and trim is very important, proper flight training is important, and knowing your planes capibilities including atmospheric conditions is important.
Build it right, and understand it's capibilities, and you stand a much better chance of success.
Ron
ronmar1 is offline Find More Posts by ronmar1
Old Jun 10, 2004, 03:31 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Houston, TX
Joined May 2004
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmar1
Don't be so critical of a plane that you can not master. I'd say that 95% of the time, problems are as a result of pilot, and (or) builder error and not the plane. Constuction is very important, Tuning and trim is very important, proper flight training is important, and knowing your planes capibilities including atmospheric conditions is important.
Build it right, and understand it's capibilities, and you stand a much better chance of success.
Ron
That being said, I have flown a .40 size gas trainer before and it was much more stable than this slow stick was. Obviously it wouldn't fly as slow, and nor would I be able to fly it from a soccer field. My only point being that it seems to be documented (from this post and others) that a fair number of slow sticks come with warped wings.

As far as it being rugged, I'm sold. I dorked it into the ground twice at full speed, coming out with only a broken prop and landing gear popping out. My concern is more with the quality of the kit. Again, not complaining. It was just an experiment on my part to try and get re-acclimated to flying.

It was my fault for letting the plane get so close to the tree, as I was trying to trim it out to be able to fly somewhat straight. Had the tree not been there, I probably would have been able to land it with minimal damage.

My only irk being, a potential design flaw. But what can you expect from a 25.00 airplane kit (including motor) ? I'm going to try the TM 400, as I expect with the wing being thicker, there will be less chance of it being warped.

And I have a Corsair sitting in my closet waiting for me to get good enough to fly it..

- Corey
cjmclean is offline Find More Posts by cjmclean
Last edited by cjmclean; Jun 10, 2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 04:00 PM
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!
Knoxville Tyson, Tennesse, United States
Joined Feb 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmclean
My only irk being, a potential design flaw. But what can you expect from a 25.00 airplane kit (including motor) ? I'm going to try the TM 400, as I expect with the wing being thicker, there will be less chance of it being warped.
Hey I understand where you're coming from here. It's really frustrating when you take a brand new plane from the box and find poor product quality. It's enough of a challenge to get these things to do what you want them to do, with out them having production flaws that give them a mind of their own. I've had to use a heat gun to reform those main wings before. Heck, I've even had to straighten the aluminmum fuselage before. They some how occasionally get an arc in them from the factory.
I guess that the old saying still holds true. (You get what you pay for), But then I bought a brand new Dodge Ram truck that was nothing but trouble. It wasn't cheap either!! Others swear by them. Thus (different strokes for different folks)
But for the money I feel the SS is an excellant buy. You just have to do a little extra tuning sometimes to get it airborne, but I expect this from any kit considering the medium we work with. I just get over it much sooner if I only pay $35 vrs. $100 or more.
Ron
ronmar1 is offline Find More Posts by ronmar1
Old Jun 10, 2004, 04:15 PM
Moncks Corner S. C.
Joined Jun 2003
1,387 Posts
dont get me wrong i loved the slow stick. up till the day i had the warped wing problem.
ill probly get a new ss one day but till them i prefer Tiger Moths for slow flying. or a bettery way to say it crawling threw the air at a awsome 5 mph
Mangyrat is offline Find More Posts by Mangyrat
Old Jun 10, 2004, 04:23 PM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
Don't give up on the SS. I've not found a more sedate, easy flying plane. Warped wings can be fixed with some packaging tape stretched on tight to bend the wing the way you want. Properly setup it will fly hands-off in a straight line, correct itself out of a turn, and turn inside a 10' circle.
Newberry is offline Find More Posts by Newberry
Old Jun 10, 2004, 07:27 PM
Pro Bro #1442
Joined Oct 2003
520 Posts
What I meant by unrealistically slow is that very few planes will fly as slow as the SS. For the most part Ailerons become useless at that speed I have heard. My point was that just about all the slow stick is good for in a beginners hands is to teach against reversal, which they can do on a sim. Go ahead and laugh and yell at me all you want, I still will not recommend the Slow Stick.
W'rkncacnter is offline Find More Posts by W'rkncacnter
Old Jun 11, 2004, 12:33 AM
Can't build them all!
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2004
363 Posts
Quote:
What I meant by unrealistically slow is that very few planes will fly as slow as the SS. For the most part Ailerons become useless at that speed I have heard. My point was that just about all the slow stick is good for in a beginners hands is to teach against reversal, which they can do on a sim. Go ahead and laugh and yell at me all you want, I still will not recommend the Slow Stick.
Slap a 350 on her and she's not quite so slow. I was quite surprised.

Bill "AKACully"
AKACully is offline Find More Posts by AKACully
Old Jun 11, 2004, 01:42 AM
Joined Feb 2004
578 Posts
Quote:
W'rkn, great comments and views.
Yes you can practice on the sim reversals, and more! however flying a real plane is nothing like a sim.
I believe the SS is recomended is because of the price and the crashability.
and also the ease of building.
What was your first plane?
There are others ppl swear by like the aerobirds, but they are RTF and comes with the TX and all which most of the time cannot be reused. (please correct me if i am wrong.) they are 3 channels and one of the best advice i have had was to get the best radio for the monee you can afford.

If the multiplex easy star was cheaper, i would definately recommend it! it flies without input!

Smoothe is another great trainer plane but it require some building skill and it is balsa, not as easy to mend then a foam plane.

These days GWS foamys have taken away the true days of building planes from plans and there are ppl who can fly an RC plane very well but not able to build one for nuts. some reason why warped wing is a big deal though it can be easily fixed if you knew how to. where i come from the air is really humid and it can warp the balsa quite abit due to the moisture.

please do share your view of my points as i would like to give accurate and good information to new users as well. the last thing i want is to put some new flyers out by giving bad advices

Happy flying! and keep it safe too!
Ken

edit 3 channels not throttle.. wat was i thinking of! :P
kennyc is offline Find More Posts by kennyc
Last edited by kennyc; Jun 11, 2004 at 01:58 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 02:33 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,948 Posts
When my SS does not turn well (in calm conditions), it's usually a CG issue. Regardless of what the instructions say, I move the pack or wing around until the problem is solved.

Also, maximum surface area throws help!

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Jun 11, 2004, 03:06 AM
space for sale
Joined Sep 2003
181 Posts
W'rkn has a t-hawk and it is much easyer to fly than my slow stick you can get it with or without the tx. It looks just like the a aerobird but uses more standard parts. I also must point out how much punishment the t-hawk can take one time W'rkn looped it and the bottom of the loop just happend to be below the ground he only broke the horizantal stab.
plane stupid is offline Find More Posts by plane stupid