SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 30, 2014, 01:28 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
Question
Am I the only one not impressed by any of the RTFs?

I can pretty much fly anything you put in my hands, but my all time RTF favorite was the Megatech Avion. All this Parkzone/E-flite stuff is just meh compared to that simple 2ch brushed actuator plane. I consider the original Vapor to be the last good RTF.

Opinions?
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2014, 05:11 AM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Apr 2007
1,705 Posts
when i got into micros it was the avion, plantracos, and cessna 210 and all the airhogs, it was definately simpler then and required alot of effort and risk to fly them around.

but now, theyve definately gotten more technically advanced, better details, and now enthusiast battery charging requirements. but thats all because of THE SIZE increases.

i likes the micros better when they were MICROS.
i understand its hard to pack all the new tech into something as small as the cessna 210 or avion, but imo theyre gradually going away from micro/ultra micro into "small parkflyers"

i dunno, maybe im just getting old but every new plane thats been released is just getting bigger and bigger until the point where theyre the size of standard parkflyers.

i do miss the old days
Torx is offline Find More Posts by Torx
Old Oct 30, 2014, 07:53 AM
Joined Jul 2006
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torx View Post
i dunno, maybe im just getting old but every new plane thats been released is just getting bigger and bigger until the point where theyre the size of standard parkflyers.
I disagree, the eflite spacewalker with 22g is in the same range looks with all the details much better than all the badly flying cheap toyplanes and fly like a dream even with more wind.
There are three things for me that a must have for every micro:

-not less than 3 channel
-exchangeable batteries
-compatible with a real TX (expo and good range)

I never miss the toy stuff without this properties.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Oct 30, 2014, 08:12 AM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
877 Posts
I'm guessing BNFs don't count in this discussion?
If its RTFs I would say for a beginner the original Champ is amazing when trimmed properly. It has power, it can glide with no throttle, it can handle 10mph winds. It is very tough. Stable. Not sure what else is needed?
I started off with Kyosho Flybaby, then original UM P51, and I would say the Champ beats them hands down for pure flying pleasure. I still fly it even though I moved onto EDFs. Its just relaxing.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:08 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
The BNF's are the same crap really. I kept saying the same thing about the sizes.

As far as weight class. The Avion had a 7.5" wingspan and was less than 10 grams. It was only 2ch but, I bet it flew better than the Spacewalker.

Another thing is the AS3X. Fly your own flipping plane!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:08 AM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
388 Posts
Which planes did you fly?
Currently really enjoying the AS3xtra and Sbach "3d". I can't imagine how a 2 channel would compare to something like those at all.
bobbutts is offline Find More Posts by bobbutts
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:10 AM
Unregistered User
United States, LA, St Francisville
Joined Apr 2014
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
The BNF's are the same crap really. I kept saying the same thing about the sizes.

As far as weight class. The Avion had a 7.5" wingspan and was less than 10 grams. It was only 2ch but, I bet it flew better than the Spacewalker.

Another thing is the AS3X. Fly your own flipping plane!

If you've never flown the Spacewalker, you don't know.

This has all been talked about in other threads. AS3X simply helps with wind and turbulence, you still very much fly the plane.
Eagle2Nitro is online now Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:34 AM
Joined Jul 2006
660 Posts
Quote:

Never, it's impossible that a 2 channel plane flying good.
There are lightyears difference in flight capabilities between the spacewalker and the cheap 2 channel Avion Toy.
Elevator control need every good flying plane.
The only difference between RTF an BNF is you must not pay for a useless Toy-TX electronic waste collection.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:28 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,705 Posts
im aware of the spacewalker, and i did comment in that thread that its a throwback to the original ultra micros when parkzone first got into micros. i can imagine it floats and flys just like the cessna or similars since its just a basic 3ch and very small frame.

but i'd like to see ultra micros go back to their roots in being ULTRA MICROS where you can fly in a small space
thats hard to accept that theres an inevitable weight/size ratio going, but i'd like to see smaller planes.

the og vapor, and the micro vapor are awesome, i love those floaters too
Old Oct 30, 2014, 01:05 PM
micro- modding madman
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
230 Posts
The spacewalker handles very similar to the champ- just much more scaled down. It's a perfect example of 'micros' as you like them still being here, and it flies exceptional.

AS3X doesn't fly the plane for you, and these days you can plug the board into a USB plug and set the AS3X on the board or turn it off entirely. What AS3X does is takes out wind, which is a wonderful thing with these smaller planes. If you've ever flown with AS3X, you'll know that it makes the plane track much better and respond much better in wind, and you can see it visibly dampening the effects of turbulence in the air.
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Oct 30, 2014, 01:42 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2Nitro View Post
If you've never flown the Spacewalker, you don't know.

This has all been talked about in other threads. AS3X simply helps with wind and turbulence, you still very much fly the plane.
I stopped paying attention to them after AS3X, but I've flown pretty much all of the previous ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
There are lightyears difference in flight capabilities between the spacewalker and the cheap 2 channel Avion Toy.
The only difference between RTF an BNF is you must not pay for a useless Toy-TX electronic waste collection.
Understand that I didn't say anything about what a 2ch is capable of compared to what a 3ch is capable of. A lot of it also has to do with personal interest as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2014, 01:51 PM
micro- modding madman
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
230 Posts
Quote:
I stopped paying attention to them after AS3X, but I've flown pretty much all of the previous ones.

Understand that I didn't say anything about what a 2ch is capable of compared to what a 3ch is capable of. A lot of it also has to do with personal interest as well.
AS3X takes NOTHING away from the pilots though... IMO it's just natural evolution of the technology.
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Oct 30, 2014, 02:15 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,797 Posts
this is a 2-ch plane acting like a 3-ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
this 20mm wingspan "toy" left the factory at ca. USD$5-

note the vertical roll in the middle of the vid

Micro Fighter /StarScream RTF R/C F-22 ORIGINAL version (0 min 42 sec)

Indoor Aircraft Carrier Landing (0 min 5 sec)

Micro Fighter /StarScream RTF R/C F-22 takeoff/landing (0 min 24 sec)

F-22 Maneuver Test (0 min 23 sec)
xlcrlee is online now Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Oct 30, 2014, 02:28 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,705 Posts
i had the starscream. i remember those days. that one took some skill to fly, not paying attention and its gone off into a tree easily. not to mention the signal cutout lol. good times

those vids are CLASSIC
Old Oct 30, 2014, 03:04 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torx View Post
i had the starscream. i remember those days. that one took some skill to fly, not paying attention and its gone off into a tree easily. not to mention the signal cutout lol. good times

those vids are CLASSIC
Sorry, Torx: video titles misleading. They show the unproduced pre-production ORIGINAL F-22 with the motors on the verts, NOT the conventional motors-on-wing T.E. version sold by ITC.

ONLY the original version has the 3-ch effect. The ITC "Starscream" version was a noseheavy 2-ch plane that couldn't fly slow nor tightly maneuver. If you watch the vids, you can see the ORIGINAL version fly as slow as the Silverlit/AirHogs biplane AND as fast or faster than the ITC "Starscream".

Further, the ORIGINAL version, as shown, is VERY easy to fly! How else could I land it on that tiny table or do any of the stupid stuff in the vids? And of COURSE it could easily handle 25KPH/15mph gusty winds, in unfiltered Mode 3 with an experienced pilot.

Lee

P.S. When I left the factory, before all the idiots messed with it, the RC was excellent, easily controllable till almost vertically out of sight.
xlcrlee is online now Find More Posts by xlcrlee