HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2013, 07:03 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Help!
JR 9X/DSX 9/9303 aileron to flap mix problem

Hi folks, hope you can help with this little problem.

I'm installing wing servos in a new F3J glider and hit a slight snag that I can't see the answer to.

I'd like to install the flap servos with the output shaft towards the flap (instead of towards the spar as the transmitter manuals show).

On trying this I can simply reverse the flap servos on the Tx to get the flaps working in the right sense (butterfly mode on the throttle stick) but they are moving in the opposite sense to the ailerons when using aileron/flap mix (full span roll control).

I've tried reversing the ailerons on the Tx which made no difference then I thought I'd found the answer in the aileron/flap mix menu where the percentage of flap mix is set. The percentage has a positive or negative value option, played with that and it still didn't work!!

I could fly it without aileron/flap mix or I could install the flap servos as shown in the manual and live with a longer link arm.

I'm sure the answer must be stupidly simple!!

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2013, 07:23 AM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,097 Posts
Was there a need to reverse the flap direction? There shouldn't be just for flipping it over.
Change the value for Flap in Butterfly to a negative number?

Dennis Phelan
dephela is online now Find More Posts by dephela
Old May 01, 2013, 07:45 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Hi Dennis,

Yes, I needed to reverse the flaps. I copied a model memory of a similar F3J glider (with all servo shafts forward and outboard) so it does look like they needed to be reversed. Just taken the servo out and reversed it again and it does work the wrong way.

Strangely I think I've got it now, it was the positive/minus sign in the aileron/flap mix, somehow it didn't seem to work the first time I tried it.

Been at this for days!!
Old May 01, 2013, 10:48 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,344 Posts
Can you swap the left and right flap channels?
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old May 01, 2013, 11:15 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Didn't think of that! I have solved it now, thanks.

It's not something that's covered directly by the manuals, good as they are.

I've had the DSX 9 for over two years and I'm still discovering things, a wonderful thing with it is that it can be programmed in different ways to achieve the same result, maybe a bad thing if you're easily confused like me!!

GB
Old May 01, 2013, 12:31 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,344 Posts
Check if the differential settings work like you expect on the ailerons and the flaps. If differential doesn't work as expected on the ailerons, maybe the ailerons need to be swapped and there could be a typo in the manual for which is left and right channel.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old May 01, 2013, 04:48 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Yep, all to be checked.

I'm setting it up with just one servo (waiting for the other five) so things are taking a while.