HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:59 PM
Bulgaria, Sofia-grad, Sofia
Joined Feb 2012
1,940 Posts
Build Log
FMS Mini F4U Corsair (new larger battery)

Hello guys,
I would like to present to you my new FMS Mini F4U Corsair from HK.

Right from the start I would like to say that this plane really surprised me in how easy it is to fly, how stable it is, even at low speeds, and how it doesn't suffer from tip stall.

For full details of the build and of the issues I came across while putting it together, please visit my blog: ArxangelRC.blogspot.com

The most annoying of the build issues was the fact that the screw holes on the wing and the fuselage DID NOT align by 15mm. This is no small distance, it is as if the wing and the fuselage were made in two different factories and they were hoping the parts will fit.

The holes in the fuselage for the tail push rods are not well calculated, so the push rods do bend while going through them, which really messes up the travel of the elevator (it is made up of two independent parts. Also, the rudder servo is a really tight fit - the HXT500 worked great, but a bigger servo will not work well.

There were a couple more issues, but nothing major. The magnets hold the hatch pretty nice. I decided not to glue the nose part, but rather epoxied magnets to hold it in place.

The paint job and foam quality is pretty good. The sticker decals are peeling off easily, but I guess this is to be expected. The plane is quite solid and scale looking. The landing gear is pretty nice with good quality rubber tires all around.

The build took a bit longer than expected, but the results were well worth it. I have to say this is the most beautiful plane that I have. I really, really like it.

The first attempt at a maiden failed due to the stock 7x6 3-blade prop not being able to provide enough thrust for a proper take off. After it broke, I replaced it with a 8x6 2-blade prop, which provided more than enough thrust even for verticals. The plane flew for 10 mins at 40% throttle, and it could go even longer. The CG turned out to be at around 50mm from the LE and it balanced pretty nicely with the Nano-tech 950mAh 2S li-po that I am using to fly it.

I have not yet tried to dig out the ball of washers in the nose, but the plane flies great as it is, so I don't think I will mess with it that much. Possible future upgrades might include a more efficient motor and a lighter ESC, but for now I will fly it with the stock setup.

AUW according to specs should have been 420grams, but actually came at 450grams. Even so, like I said at the start, the plane flies beautifully and is quite stable in the air for its size. It is quite maneuverable and resistant to low speed stalls.

Here is the maiden flight:

FMS Mini F4U Corsair Maiden Flight (3 min 35 sec)

So, if you are interested in more details about the plane and the build, visit the plane's post on my blog: FMS Mini F4U Corsair
Arxangel is online now Find More Posts by Arxangel
Last edited by Arxangel; Mar 07, 2014 at 07:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:17 PM
United States, NY, Hyde Park
Joined Aug 2012
63 Posts
Great video. I have same plane and love it. You can bounce it of ground pick it up and fly again
Drttrack97 is offline Find More Posts by Drttrack97
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:26 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drttrack97 View Post
Great video. I have same plane and love it. You can bounce it of ground pick it up and fly again
Yes, the landing gear proved to be very good. This is the first plane that I have with a landing gear and am still getting used to taking off and landing on wheels. You can see in the video that the plane did jump a couple of times on all landings, but it handled that pretty well and there is no damage.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:16 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,940 Posts
I had a great time with this plane this weekend, even though it was quite windy. It already has 1 hour of air time. It handles GREAT in the wind, definitely waaaaaay better than I would have thought. There was 1 broken prop at the end of today's flight session due to my mistake - I stalled the plane on purpose close to the ground, but instead of punching it so I can pull it up easier, I just left the throttle at 50% and it hit the ground at speed, nose first. I thought that the plane was done, but as it turned out, the only damage was the broken prop, the rest of the plane was in perfect condition. Praise the EPO foam!!!!

When I came home, I dug through the box of props, but was not able to find the exact same 8x6 prop, so instead I put a 9x6 Master Airscrew prop. The amp draw at 50% with this prop is 6 amps, and at 100% it is 18 amps, however, I can't compare it with the draw of the 8x6 prop, because I did not measure it. The original 3-blade 7x6 prop drew around 14 amps at WOT, but it did not produce nearly enough thrust for a comfortable flight.

Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:52 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,291 Posts
Heres the new FMS Version 2
http://www.motionrc.com/fms-800mm-f4u-corsair-v2-arf/
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:06 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemynameis View Post
Well, the paint job on the one they used for the photos looks amazing, but I doubt it will be the same when it arrives. This looks like they used a couple of layers of paint to cover the foam 100%. Otherwise, except for the horizontal stabilizer and the bombs and fuel tanks, and the details on the landing gear, it is exactly the same. I would think it would need a more powerful motor to pull all that excess drag through the air. I will not trust the 4-blade prop, though, to provide enough thrust on a 2S. I had bad experience with the 3-blade on my V1, it was just too inefficient. As for the better servos and motor - those are mods that I have planned for mine anyway, but in my case, I will be able to put in very good servos that I actually trust.

Otherwise, this V2 does look amazing if they manage to keep the paint job the same on the production models. The prop looks nice, but again, I would not trust it to do much pulling at 7.5x4. I can also see they've added a steerable rear wheel, which a VERY good thing to have, I really miss this on mine.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:26 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,291 Posts
If you look its a different Corsair and is not the same mold. Its got alot more detail and I have seen it fly and flys very well with that 4 blade prop. That is the paint job that come with it, dont now why you say that. It also has a upgraded motor.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:27 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,291 Posts
Heres a video of the P-47 which is also V2
P-47 Thunderbolt "The Jug" Fun Scale Flight Review in HD! (6 min 8 sec)
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,940 Posts
Quote:
If you look its a different Corsair and is not the same mold. Its got alot more detail and I have seen it fly and flys very well with that 4 blade prop. That is the paint job that come with it, dont now why you say that. It also has a upgraded motor.
I am just stating my opinion, no offence meant. There were some issues with the build of the V1, I am glad to hear they fixed those with the V2. The V1, as I've said many times in the few posts above, flies amazingly and I hope the V2 flies just as well. As fate will have it, though, I have the V1, so I will have to resort to replacing servos, the ESC, and the motor if I want better performance.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:23 AM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
There is another FMS 800mm F4U thread here. Many of us have V1 of this, my Son has the blue and I have the silver/yellow. They actually fly just fine with the 3 blade. Prob is the 3 blader breaks very easily. Mine flew 3s with nothing more than an ESC change for a long time, was fast and would go vert out of sight. Another gent does 3s in his using an APC 2 blade s/f prop & completely stock. I've flown the crap out of the silver/yellow bird for 2 years and still using the servos it came with. You may want to check the other thread, lots of good info there.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by comanch View Post
There is another FMS 800mm F4U thread here. Many of us have V1 of this, my Son has the blue and I have the silver/yellow. They actually fly just fine with the 3 blade. Prob is the 3 blader breaks very easily. Mine flew 3s with nothing more than an ESC change for a long time, was fast and would go vert out of sight. Another gent does 3s in his using an APC 2 blade s/f prop & completely stock. I've flown the crap out of the silver/yellow bird for 2 years and still using the servos it came with. You may want to check the other thread, lots of good info there.
Yes, the 3-blade prop breaks easily and it is quite expensive to replace - 3.36 USD, compared to 1-2 USD for 1-2 pieces of other 3-bladed props. Furthermore, I really like 2S setups and wanted to keep this 2S, so replacing the ESC to run it on 3S was not an option. It is really comforting to hear that the stock servos actually last a long time, because I was worried about those breaking mid flight. So, the only mod I will be making some time in the future, would be to replace the motor with one that still spins a 9x6 prop on a 2S, but produces around 500 grams of thrust at 7-8 amps, and to replace the ESC with the Turnigy Plush 12amps as it will be more than sufficient, but much lighter than the stock ESC.

Thank you for your input, it is much appreciated.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:27 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,291 Posts
I had one of those Corsairs as well but I put a different motor and esc and ran it on 3s. Sure was a rocket
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,940 Posts
Quote:
I had one of those Corsairs as well but I put a different motor and esc and ran it on 3s. Sure was a rocket
Did you have any issues with the wings coming off? I can't help but think that if I put too powerful a motor, the wings might come off mid flight at some point!!!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:15 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,291 Posts
Nope never had that problem
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:59 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Nope never had that problem
Good to know, I just might put in a stronger motor when the plane has done around 10 flight hours, IF its still in one piece.