HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:20 AM
Joined Dec 2012
215 Posts
Discussion
Canberra parks, anyone know of good ones?

Hi guys, I've just moved to the north side of Canberra and I'm wondering where there are some good parks to throw a foamie around after work?

I've found plenty of small ones with light poles all around but so far nothing that I would call suitable and if anyone has experience dealing with the councils here that would be a bonus as well?
I don't want to just rock up and start flying somewhere only to get fined 15 min later.

btw I already know about all the clubs in the area so this thread is just about parks, cheers.
balsadude is offline Find More Posts by balsadude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:25 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,901 Posts
I used to fly out at Bonner, mostly FPV but some LOS too.

I flew alot on ADFA sports grounds, but i was allowed on the grounds

Amaroo District Playing fields are pretty good too but you could pretty much fly anywhere along Horse park drive, just stay northside of the road as its all bush.

I was pretty regular at Charnwood sporting ovals on a sunday morning, there are a few folks that get down there to fly, friendly group!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Last edited by Teamsherman; Jan 17, 2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:55 AM
Joined Dec 2012
215 Posts
awesome info Teamsherman, I'll be sure to check those out. cheers
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:58 PM
Alphabets make great soup
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jul 2008
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
I used to fly out at Bonner, mostly FPV but some LOS too.
Where in Bonner?
Hamburglar is online now Find More Posts by Hamburglar
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:00 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburglar View Post
Where in Bonner?
On Mulligans flat road just after the new housing estate on the left there is a small carpark, just hop over the gate (its a public reserve but gated to keep hoons ect out) and fly from there.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:16 PM
Alphabets make great soup
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jul 2008
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
On Mulligans flat road just after the new housing estate on the left there is a small carpark, just hop over the gate (its a public reserve but gated to keep hoons ect out) and fly from there.
Thanks man!
Hamburglar is online now Find More Posts by Hamburglar
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined Dec 2012
215 Posts
Thanks for the info, went and checked them out this morning, Charnwood seems like the go. Had a quick fly and just put one battery through, it was way too windy but I thought I can't go home without flying at least once.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:15 AM
Crashing on a budget.
Canberra, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsadude View Post
I've found plenty of small ones with light poles all around but so far nothing that I would call suitable and if anyone has experience dealing with the councils here that would be a bonus as well?
I don't want to just rock up and start flying somewhere only to get fined 15 min later.
Canberra authorities are pretty relaxed in regards to parkflying. As long as you don't break the noise laws; stay out of the way of organised sport; watch out for passersby; and don't fly anything too big, they will leave you alone.

Almost every suburb has a "neighbourhood oval", usually located next to the primary school. These are good for small park flyers and the concrete cricket pitches make for okay runways.

The bigger sports fields with lights are great for a bit more space, but they can be booked for sport, so you can only use them when they are empty.

The ovals with fences around them are private and you would need to seek permission from the owners to fly there.

All the big nature parks are also an option, you just need to find one with easy access.

Charnwood and Kambah (near the Burns club) are the two fields where people tend to gather on the weekends. Both are worth checking out, but I heard that someone put a fence around the Kambah landing strip, making it a bit hard to land.
dusk is offline Find More Posts by dusk
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:26 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk View Post
someone put a fence around the Kambah landing strip, making it a bit hard to land.
More than a damn fence - the RC car club got a lease on the old bitumen netball courts, fenced it, brought in containers and awnings, put some curbs down - basically unuseable except for really small stuff, and major obstacle for flying nearby as well. The northern soccer field area is still OK though.

Maybe not so bad - I think larger faster stuff than appropriate for a public park was starting to creep in.

Seems to get a lot fewer people hours use now than before though
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:39 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,809 Posts
Yep - Kambah WAS brilliant. We had a couple of concrete netball courts to use a strip, but I hear now that it has been turned into a model car race track.

Here are is a vid that shows what Kambah use to be.

Another Day in Kambah (3 min 37 sec)
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member