HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Jun 2013
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N99JH View Post
No, not at all. They work just fine as far as CG is concerned.
I like those 2200 mah batteries as well. What points and procedure do 'ya all use
for CG location / loading?
capoli is offline Find More Posts by capoli
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:45 PM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
While surfing Flea bay I stumbled a cross these little jewels.

RC ZIPPY Compact 2700mAh 3S 35C Lipo Pack

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-ZIPPY-Com...item3cd76cb265

Since Ill be flying my FPV V450D03, I would like to have a few minutes more of flight time to video these "Hills & Hollers"
Here in Euope I can't access your link to Ebay, but if those zippies are the same than on the hobbyking site :
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=21396
I think they wont fit under the canopy, it's too narrow towards the nose.

Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Old Nov 06, 2013, 08:11 PM
Hartsville, SC
Joined Apr 2006
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoli View Post
I like those 2200 mah batteries as well. What points and procedure do 'ya all use
I just stick them on the tray and go fly
N99JH is offline Find More Posts by N99JH
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:37 PM
United States, TN, Pioneer
Joined Sep 2013
116 Posts
Quote:
I know some of the old timers around here know how their birds are gonna fly. us newbees, without the aid of a real live teacher, have to learn the hard way.

I have been toying with the idea, well, testing, using a button level. In the manual it states the helicopter must be level when binding. But if you bind in the same place, every time, you are going to "Level" your bird at that place whether its 1/2 1 or 2 degrees off. You will trim your bird to that error, and the same for the CG condition,sometimes without even knowing it.

While practicing here at home, I bind the birds on my desk. My desk is 2 Degrees off level. And when I "Hover in hand" I can feel it wanting to compensate in that direction.

Its a bit confusing about level and what part of the bird should be level. Not all the RXs are perpendicular to the main shaft. When I checked my 3 birds, the KDS was closest to level on the Gyro, and I suspect that was due to the rigidity of the carbon fiber body. The V450s gyros were not even close.

Your Center of gravity goes straight up the main shaft, not the Gyro, that sits back so many inches. The main shaft is what interacts with gravity. You want the main shaft level, not the gyro. The gyro is going to "set" its zero points anywhere you level from.

So what I have been doing is taking a Button Level and placing it right on top of the main shaft on the stop disk. After leveling this way, "Hovering in hand" is almost spot on. I remove the level after binding lol.

I also check my weight and balance in the same manner using the button level in the same place. This way, there is no guess work

These little guys

Round bubble levels
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-Stick-...item51a59610a3

Name: DSC_5909.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 84.4 KB
Description: Bubble level
case is offline Find More Posts by case
Last edited by case; Nov 06, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 10:03 PM
Hartsville, SC
Joined Apr 2006
893 Posts
Seems to me that you are trying to make this leveling concept into a science where I believe the original intention is in the realm of engineering.
Level to me has always been pretty much when the heli sits on the skids on a level surface. I never felt a need to level the "Level Surface" and in close to a total of 1000 flights between my MCP and V450D03 never felt any need for more precision than that as far as trimming is concerned.
It is said the flying a helicopter is like trying to balance a needle on its head, and, with the help of advanced gyro systems that has become infinitely easier task although still a considerable technical challenge.
Just my 2c.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 10:11 PM
Joined Sep 2013
116 Posts
Quote:
Case,
Have you rigged up your camera set up? Videos coming soon?
Capoli
My first V450D03 came as a FPV version. It was a pretty penny. Anyways, too much to practice on. It works as advertised but I went ahead and got the goggles with it. Im working up to that day. Maybe one or two months down the road.

I bought another V450D03 on Ebay. Took it out to practice and right off the pad it went back and to the right, into the dirt. Only rubbed the paint on the blades. I thought the vibration on lift off was odd, compared to my other that has no vibration.

I should have inspected it closer. It was never going to fly the way it was. Thats the one that had a bent main and screwy RX. Ill post a vid of what the RX is doing.
A new RX on order, and straighted the main. At least the vibration is gone lol lol.
Old Nov 07, 2013, 06:31 PM
Joined Jun 2013
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticojon View Post
Same thing happened to me. A bent tail rotor shaft & worn belt was the culprit for me. Preventative maintenance & not crashing would avoid tail issues. Iíll upgrade to an aluminum tail if I ever have to deal with the tail assembly again.
I did upgrade the tail servo to the Align DS525M as someone recommended recently. I donít notice a performance upgrade but I am very happy with it.
Ticojon, where, how did you mount the 525M? Any pics? Thanks, Capoli
Old Nov 07, 2013, 10:34 PM
Joined Jun 2013
157 Posts
Is the toothed synchromesh tail belt for the 450D01 & 450D03 the same animal?
All I find is D01's advertised. Any recommended sources? I opened up the tail assembly for a look see and found some belt grit residue. No issues but I think the 100 flight new belt
suggestion makes preventative sense based on the wear I found with easy flying. Anything else to replace while I'm in the area?
Capoli
Old Nov 07, 2013, 11:29 PM
Joined Sep 2013
116 Posts
Quote:
Is the toothed synchromesh tail belt for the 450D01 & 450D03 the same animal?
All I find is D01's advertised. Any recommended sources? I opened up the tail assembly for a look see and found some belt grit residue. No issues but I think the 100 flight new belt
suggestion makes preventative sense based on the wear I found with easy flying. Anything else to replace while I'm in the area?
Capoli
I just received the replacement belts for my KDS 450, and one for the V450D03, and they are identical. So T Rex, Align clone belts will work.
Old Nov 08, 2013, 02:18 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
645 Posts
Quote:
Capoli
I think there is a little preventative maintenance wich makes sense :
- replacing the bearings (mainly the tail bearings) every 100 flights (and test if they have too much free play in between)
- replacing the links (or at least the plastic ends with the holes) between the swashplate and the rotorhead. The holes can wear out, and in extreme cases centrifugal forces may pop them out during flight. I do that every 100 flights too.
- The servos. My experience shows me that after more then100 flights (maybe less or more depending your flying style) they can show problems. I had a crash because of a servo wich was about 130 flights old.
Concerning the tail servo it may be worth to replace it with something better like the Align DS525 M.
I didn't find yet another model for the swash servos wich fits on the V450D03 (models wich fit on the V450D01 will often not fit on the V450D03)
Concerning the belt, I just visualy verify it every 20 flights, until now there is not a lot of wear.

The other solution is to do no preventative maintenance, but in case of a crash you may end with a lot of damaged parts.
So what is the best solution ????
It's up to you to decide...

Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Last edited by Rollmops67; Nov 08, 2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2013, 05:04 PM
Joined Sep 2013
116 Posts
Well I finally ordered batteries and a charger. I also received the new RX, installed, and working as advertised. Later on Ill try flashing the old RX and see if it helps.

The batteries are from Columbus Oh. So for us in the south and south east, its a short delivery time.

I'm really wanting to stay with the larger batteries, the 2600 at minimum.

http://www.buddyrc.com/

http://www.buddyrc.com/gt-power-x-ch...e-charger.html
http://www.buddyrc.com/glacier-30c-2600mah-3s1p.html

We will see how they work out......
Old Nov 09, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined Sep 2013
116 Posts
A very nice article about lipo batteries, care, charging, storage, C rating, and suggestions, etc.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
Old Nov 09, 2013, 11:50 PM
Joined Jun 2013
157 Posts
Just made this video of the fall colors while testing CG for more permanent gambrel mount.

Capoli Ranch Out My Back Door (1 min 36 sec)
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:23 AM
Joined Sep 2013
116 Posts
Quote:
Just made this video of the fall colors while testing CG for more permanent gambrel mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdKqf...ature=youtu.be
That too cool That looks like out my back door lol. Great job!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 06:54 PM
Hartsville, SC
Joined Apr 2006
893 Posts
Strange Thing

I flew my V450D01 today and after landing and throttling all the way down, the motor kept on revving slowly for about 30 seconds before it finally quit. It would wind down - than, accelerate to a low rpm, and wind down again and so on and so forth about 4 time.
Has anyone experienced this?