HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Discussion
Vintage 1/5 scale Atlas Unlimited

What might this be worth? I've listed it locally (for $1500), but I really have no idea what it could be worth (beside the normal "what someone will pay"). A family member has asked me to sell it. I've done my best to prep it to be RTR, but it's got some issues that would need to be resolved before regular running. Engine seems to run great (fires on first pull, throttles well...even after sitting for 2 years).

Basic specs:

7hp chainsaw conversion with belt drive.
17 lbs
~5 feet long
Based on some kind of kit, but most parts were refashioned in some way.
Early 80's era radio (Cirrus System 3 TX, combination of vintage futaba and other servos).
It's functional, radio works (only issue is serious binding in adjustable stabilizer), and engine runs.
Props are custom (builder was an engineer for boeing)...there are 3 custom props with different designs.
The paint is amazing, all of the stripes and detail are paint (Atlas Van Lines decal is vinyl as is the "A" insignia on the vertical stabs).

I'll have more pics up soon.
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts

Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Feb 2012
93 Posts
I would say it is not what it is worth more like what will somebody be willing to pay for it. It is old but truly unique and awesome. I would keep it.
MN fish is offline Find More Posts by MN fish
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:22 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,939 Posts
Unfortunately the Quadra engine and antique radio system may lower the value. It's not a chainsaw engine that I know of but may have been a converted RC plane engine. This is going to make it really slow. The radio system is an older one most likely not currently FCC legal.
Oh yeah, with it using an Octura rudder on the left side for a turn fin is going to severely affect handling. Other than those issues it is a great looking boat! $1,500.00 is going to be hard to do though as in reality you'd be lucky to get a Grand to $1,200.00 but it sure doesn't hurt to start high.
Craig's List buyers think that they can get everything for a song. I tried selling my recumbent bike on there and got really low-ball offers although my ad stated my bottom dollar price. I also stated that it was for people under 220 pounds and had 350 pound people calling on it.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
Unfortunately the Quadra engine and antique radio system may lower the value. It's not a chainsaw engine that I know of but may have been a converted RC plane engine. This is going to make it really slow. The radio system is an older one most likely not currently FCC legal.
Oh yeah, with it using an Octura rudder on the left side for a turn fin is going to severely affect handling. Other than those issues it is a great looking boat! $1,500.00 is going to be hard to do though as in reality you'd be lucky to get a Grand to $1,200.00 but it sure doesn't hurt to start high.
Craig's List buyers think that they can get everything for a song. I tried selling my recumbent bike on there and got really low-ball offers although my ad stated my bottom dollar price. I also stated that it was for people under 220 pounds and had 350 pound people calling on it.
Thanks so much...we are open to reasonable offers. I have no idea about the engine, just going on the docs from the builder (he is 80 now, but would love to chat about the boat).
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Oh and there is an ad on our local news site....www.ksl.com. I don't have the link handy (on my phone)....but it should pop up if you go to classifieds and do a search for atlas hydroplane.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Here is the text from the ad. It has the history and what I have done. I am not a boat guy so its quite possible some of my fixes arent right...tried to get things correct...

1/5 scale hydroplane modeled after the Atlas Van Lines racer. This was purchased by a family member 2 years ago, it has sat in a museum in Conrad, MT for most of that time. I was tasked with getting it ready for sale.

Built by Don R. Archer
Specs:

Length 5' 4"
Width 2' 10"
Weight 17 lbs

Power: Converted 7hp chainsaw engine with water cooled head.

Here is the history:

The construction kit was bought in 1988. The materials are fiberglass and wood. Most wood parts were remade. All parts of the frame for the hull were remade. A metal mount for the motor was also added to the hull.

The skag(turn fin) and drive line were fabricated and installed. A cogged pulley was added to the driveline and connected to the engine with a belt drive.

The deck of the boat was then glued on to the frame and the cockpit and windshield was installed. Servos control the rudder, spoiler, and throttle. There are three custom propellers, each with a different design, and each required approximately 3 days of work to manufacture.

All decals and the Imron paint colors are authentic to the year the full scale boat was competing in the unlimited hydroplane season.

The boat required approximately 2 years of labor to complete.

After receiving the boat a few days ago, I have done the following:

Refashioned the throttle linkage to work properly (the geometry was incorrect and throw was excessive to the point full throw was attained with 1/4 throttle movement).

Started the engine.

Eliminated the electric cooling pump and substituted it for an impulse pump common to modern large scale RC boats. (pics do not show the pump as they were taken before the install)

Revamped the cooling water circuit so that water is taken up through both the turn fin and the rudder, and expelled into the exhaust header.

Rudder servo was rewired to work in reverse as the rudder was not moving the proper direction. It appears the boat was never actually run...or if it was...the steering was reversed.

While the model is essentially ready to run there are the following issues:

1. The controllable spoiler binds, it may be possible to rework the mechanism, but not without serious surgery on the hull. I'm not willing to do this as the boat is beautiful and I do not believe the radio control adjustable spoiler to be absolutely necessary. I would recommend removing the servos and locking it down. It could be set up to be statically adjustable for trim, this would be a much more reliable setup.

2. The radio is an early 80's vintage Cirrus System 3. It does not conform to current FCC requirements. While it is fully functional, it would be wise to replace it with a modern narrow band or spread spectrum system. Servos are in excellent condition and appear to be adequate for the task (save the dual servos on the spoiler which bind).

3. Electric cooling pump motor, switch, and 9 volt battery socket remain, but pump has been removed in lieu of the impulse style pump.

That's it. The engine fires on the first pull once primed. Here is a short video of it running:
1/5 Scale Atlas Van Lines Vintage R/C Hyrdoplane Startup (0 min 17 sec)

Paint is in excellent shape.

Extra parts include:

A spare rudder
The aforementioned props
Spare belt
Plans
Instruction booklet
Photos of the first run and documentation photos of the full scale Atlas.

I can show it to the new owner, and will run it for a short time
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:41 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,939 Posts
Here ya go: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...=&search=Atlas hydroplane
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson