HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:13 AM
RC - MA LSV
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Jan 2010
450 Posts
Question
Can anyone ID these power pods?

These were atop a couple of Craft Aire Drifter II's. They appear to be .049 sized on the engine but have the carb on the front. I will probably wind up selling them.

Thanks.

GS
Gear Swinger is offline Find More Posts by Gear Swinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:09 AM
AMA 5285 LSF 8104
United States, OR, Hood River
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Those were pretty common back in the '70's and '80's. I can't remember who made them (and I just threw away all of my old catalogs... rats!). Looks like you have a couple of Cox TD .049's or .051's. Good running engine. I thought they ran better than the .049's with the built in fuel tank. I built my own power pods which had the base under the wing rubber bands. I did not like the mounting system of the pod you have, thought they were too prone to breaking off on landings, plus not stable on top of the model.

Scott
Aquila Guy is offline Find More Posts by Aquila Guy
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
RC - MA LSV
Joined Jan 2010
450 Posts
Thanks for the input Scott. I also have a couple of heads for the engines and a few Cox 21530 wrenches. I was wondering if they might be .051's. These components are newly acquired so I really don't know too much about them, hence my question. The plans for the plane show a different, built up, powerpod option. It looks like it would attach with a wider base under the rubber bands as you mentioned.

GS
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:15 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,072 Posts
They look like D&R Power pods and as mentioned by Scott, popular in the 70's. D&R made servo cases and stick gimbals for various radio suppliers.

- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,145 Posts
Toughs are Cox TD's they are getting rare and take some finesse to get running right .But they scream when tuned right .If your not going to use them some one will buy them.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:00 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,385 Posts
Hey I had one of those on a 2m glider.... yup... kinda kewl! Thanks for sharing.
Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:30 PM
RC - MA LSV
Joined Jan 2010
450 Posts
Cool. Learning more everyday.

I about have one of the glider's ready to fly. I don't plan on using the power pod however. I am not feeling too excited about really old monokote. I did manage to get most of it tightened up, but these planes probably should be stripped and recovered. I got the Huge, slow Hobby Lobby servos mated up to a Futaba receiver now.

Thanks for the info on these items.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:56 AM
El Dorado Hills, California, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2000
548 Posts
These are great little engines, I have several handfuls of these; They are making a comeback as the result of high fuel costs.

The one on the yellow pod has a high compression glow head from the top stamp markings.

Very powerful engines for a Drifter II.

Best of luck with them-they are marvels of engineering.

Martin
MAVA is offline Find More Posts by MAVA
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,344 Posts
Red plastic I think was the .051. I have several in the basement. I also may have one or two new pods from way back in the 70's. I also have a Graupner pod that worked for the TD .09's. Too many things gathering dust....
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,072 Posts
TD .051 has a groove cut around the base of the piston. You would see it looking through the exhaust port as it reaches TDC.

- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:25 PM
RC - MA LSV
Joined Jan 2010
450 Posts
They both have grooves. If anyone has a need for them send me a pm.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:05 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
746 Posts
About power pods

Many years ago, I learned to fly sailplanes with a power pod equipped with a Cox .051. One persistent problem with the pods pictured was that vibration from the engine caused the fuel to foam up in the built in tank making engine runs irregular. We solved the problem by mounting a small metal tank on a piece of foam in place of the molded tank. I don't miss wiping the goo from my sailplane after each flight.
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:32 PM
Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA
Joined Jan 2005
240 Posts
[QUOTE=Norm Furutani;20826755]They look like D&R Power pods (Snip).../QUOTE]

Yup, that power pod was by D&R... decades out of production. It's configured for the Cox TeeDee 049 & 051.

The engine's red plastic nose piece and the groove around the base of the piston indicate an 051. The 049 looks the same but with the plastic nose piece in black, and no piston groove. The two engines are basically the same, but straddle the 1/2A and A class displacement limits, so one model can be flown in both classes with a simple engine change. Configuration, weight and power differences are nil, sizes just bridge the rules.

TD's are high rpm screamers, and not the best match for a slow speed glider. If you go with a TD on a sailplne, at least stay with a low pitch prop, like a 6 x 3, or a 6 x 2 if you can still find one.

A better personallity match would be a reed-valve 049, like the QRC, but it would need a completely different style of power pod... like the white Cox unit. Use a 6 x 3 prop, or a 7 x 3.5 if you can find one.

Tim
Esprit2 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit2
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:35 PM
Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA
Joined Jan 2005
240 Posts
Deleted double post... sorry about that.
Tim
Esprit2 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit2
Last edited by Esprit2; Mar 24, 2012 at 12:21 AM.