Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
23,397 Posts
Mini-HowTo
E-Flite BAE Hawk MOD thread

Welcome to the E-flite BAE Hawk Mod thread ...all mods welcome here, photo's, disscussion ,fan/motor mad ect.
I'll start it off with a list of what i have planed
1) Add Rudder
2)Inlet ducts
3)mold a fiber glass part to fill the square hole in back
4)do you think we could make the wings removable?

OK i spent about an hour tonite getting to know the hawk it appears that a few thing are going to need to be done to get ducts in this plane
1)the inlet ring needs to come out for installation ...and then replaced as i feel it helps align the fan.
2)the cross brace that the elev. tubes are glued to needs to be temp remove also ...maybe.
3)a slight triming of the batt tray corner.
i am trying to design the duct so little modification has to be done to install them ..as most guys dont have the time or pactice to do a lot of mods
here some pics...if i can load them
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Last edited by AIR SALLY; Dec 14, 2008 at 01:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:39 PM
Find More Posts by Bajora
AA6JB
Joined Sep 2004
14,711 Posts
Glad you are gonna make your ducts for this one Rodger!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:46 AM
Find More Posts by bmiller
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Looking good!
don't forget the wing spars in your duct measurements!
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:49 AM
Find More Posts by falcon101
havent crashed yet
Joined Dec 2008
46 Posts
need help efite f16 need new motor i need to know a good motor
falcon101 is offline Find More Posts by falcon101
Old Dec 14, 2008, 01:02 AM
Find More Posts by PlaneCrazee
Burner!!
United States, AR, Sherwood
Joined Jun 2005
1,050 Posts
You should start another thread falcon 101; you'll get more responses and not clutter this one.
Welcome to the Ezone by the way
PlaneCrazee is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCrazee
Old Dec 14, 2008, 01:44 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
23,397 Posts
the wing spars are not even close....the batt plate and control tubes are in the way of duct install....one side goes in easy ...but the right side one will be a bit of a chore....hoping just undoing the bracket holding the push rod tubes will allow ducts to be installed.the inlet ring looks like it needs to come out temp. my e-flite fan appears to angled down toward the rear? is that normal ? the position of the bulkhead holding the inlet ring is what sets this angle .
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:19 AM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
It's normal, the fan is angled downward. Don't like that as it wastes power but it helps the exhaust clear the stabs inside the fuse. I was thinking of realigning the fan and cutting the leading edge half of the stabs off and putting an arch reinforcement to reconnect so the thrusttube has a straight shot out the back. Of course that plays havoc with the stock inlet ring....
Old Dec 14, 2008, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by Highlander
Lubbock, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
980 Posts
Subscribe. Good luck, everybody! Watching with great anticipation. :

AirSally: Your photos look very promising! I know they are probably posted around here somewhere, but would you comment on how you know these will work. Is there a formula or some imperical guideline that you figure on based upon the opening size and length of tube. You don't have to get too detailed. Please don't think I am trying to acquire "trade secrets" or "sensitive proprietary information". I've been accused of that before. Thank you!
Highlander is offline Find More Posts by Highlander
Last edited by Highlander; Dec 14, 2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 07:51 AM
Find More Posts by Highlander
Lubbock, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller
It's normal, the fan is angled downward. Don't like that as it wastes power but it helps the exhaust clear the stabs inside the fuse. I was thinking of realigning the fan and cutting the leading edge half of the stabs off and putting an arch reinforcement to reconnect so the thrusttube has a straight shot out the back. Of course that plays havoc with the stock inlet ring....
Why is it so fun to play Aeronautical Engineer and redesign these things? Almost all of you guys are like me. I just can't help it!!!
Highlander is offline Find More Posts by Highlander
Old Dec 14, 2008, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by carl rich
EDF Nut
Cincinnati
Joined Jan 2006
2,152 Posts
Aren't the most efficient inlets those that have a bit of a radius? Wouldn't cutting away the radius be a bad thing? It does make sense that it would give more inlet area. Would be interesting to note radar speed and ability to climb, before and after the change. I am curious.
Will be great if ducting will give equal or better performance than w/ the cheaters. Good luck w/ it!
carl rich is offline Find More Posts by carl rich
Old Dec 14, 2008, 11:21 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
23,397 Posts
guys

high lander ;will i've been doing ducted fans since the 80's ....if you want to go you need ducts ...and good ones .....back when BVM came out with there new fan and planes there ducting was state of the art...now every body does there the same way ...no secretes here i use "french curves" that i have had to help make flowing curves.
Carl there was no radiius at the scoops ..the part i removed was a 3-4 mm wide "ramp" where the bountry layer bleed would be on the full scale jet ...the way it was set up would have caused more tubulance than anything.i hope to put a small radii on the lip of the scoop that will help more than any thing. i may still need to add some naca type cheaters on the bottom of the ducting and i will leave 3-4 of the triangled cheater uncovered to feed the aux air . i will cover the rest of them with monocoat type material.no rocket science here just commensence approace to ducting ...it's just like porting clyinder heads for cars ..put yourself in the air' place which way would you rather go....open for any suggestion as i surley don't know every thing. and yes a test with and with out would be cool
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by carl rich
EDF Nut
Cincinnati
Joined Jan 2006
2,152 Posts
Ducting is 1/2 voodoo magic and 62% guesswork, if I were to attempt. Sorry I'm of no help. Will look forward to see how she does when you're done.
carl rich is offline Find More Posts by carl rich
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by mk1spitfire
uk
Joined Oct 2007
668 Posts
will this model take off grass???
mk1spitfire is offline Find More Posts by mk1spitfire
Old Dec 14, 2008, 07:46 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Grass usually needs 2.5inch wheels minimum. Barring that, mine has enough power to fly off short grass.

Just flew mine - great flyer! only got one flight in with 3 landings to trim it out.
Used a shim on the thrusttube. Will remove it tomorrow to see effect.
I can already tell the stock cheese grater intake is holding the speed down somewhat.
Wheres my duct!LOL
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:52 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
23,397 Posts
it's snowing right now ...if it keeps up and sticks ...snow day and i'll be in the shop making "blue snow"
Bruce try monocoating the frist half of the cheese holes and report back