New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2015, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by bredler
United States, PA, Pitts
Joined Jan 2015
22 Posts
Question
Removable Stab Designs

I'm gearing all of my stuff up right now to build my Oly III from Skybench. I'm looking at the tail group and thinking that it would be nice to have it removable. I've seen several designs and there's quite a bit of variation. I have a few questions:
  1. Are the vertical and horizontal stabs typically independent or is that just inviting poor alignment and weak joinery? It would save a lot of space for storage if they were separate.
  2. What additional structural elements should I incorporate to make the removable stab?
  3. Can you please post some pics or a link to a post of your own removable tail setup?

Thanks!
Brendan
bredler is offline Find More Posts by bredler
Last edited by bredler; Dec 18, 2015 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Changed type of post to 'Question'
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2015, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by Pauliwog
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
1,034 Posts
My 2 Cents on Removable Tail feathers....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529033 Very Modified GP Spirit 2M Woody, Page 8

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408867 Guillows Arrow rubber powered freeflight conversion to a 2ch RC glider, page 2.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1953676 Goldfinch scratch build scratch design, pages 2,3 & 4

Hopefully this works and you'll be able to see these build logs I've posted over the years. You may have to dig through the build logs but each one will have a removable set of tail feathers. I also have build logs posted on an Ace RC Easy Eagle with a bunch Mods and House of Balsa "2x4" with removable tail pieces but they seem to have faded away from the archives over time, but the build logs I have posted here have better methods and final results anyway.

I really like having removable tail feathers for storage, transport, and ease of repair reasons. I also do most of my flying-by-bike(everything loaded in and on my backpack and bike to the flying sites). I see no reason not to have removable tail feathers, especially on larger gliders.

Good Luck - Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Last edited by Pauliwog; Dec 18, 2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:23 PM
Find More Posts by buzzfly
Joined Apr 2003
611 Posts
I seem to recall (perhaps incorrectly) that Ray offered a removable tail option on the Oly III.

I have an Oly III a friend built with a fixed tail. A removable tail would add greatly to its transportability and storage. Check with Ray to see what he says about it. Perhaps he can send you parts and plan updates easily!
buzzfly is offline Find More Posts by buzzfly
Old Dec 19, 2015, 03:24 AM
Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
3,584 Posts
making the fin a permanent part of the fuselage goes a long way in keeping things straight and stiff but it needs to be built as part of the structure and not just glued on top. will still make storage and transportation a breeze compared to permanent stabs.

look at plans on outerzone to see the various methods. the sagittas come to mind.
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:00 PM
Find More Posts by jetmaven
Joined Oct 2004
1,182 Posts
If you go to outerzone take a look at the Aquila as well , fixed verticle , removable stab halves .
Been flying the same one since the 70's , never had a problem .
jetmaven is offline Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by lincoln
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,561 Posts
I had an Oly 650 where I put tapped holes in the stab and put nylon screws passing through the fuselage and screwing into the stab. Or maybe just one screw. I left the horizontal and vertical stabs as one unit. A bit bulky, I suppose, but it worked.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
Old Dec 23, 2015, 06:34 AM
Find More Posts by whacker
Canada, NS, Tatamagouche
Joined May 2005
326 Posts
Here's what I have done on a number of occasions

A lot of little pieces, but mechanically solid

whacker
whacker is online now Find More Posts by whacker
Old Dec 28, 2015, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by ultimatetwo