HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2013, 08:01 AM
Joined Aug 2013
5 Posts
Mini-HowTo
RC Hovercraft building

Hello,

I'm trying to build hovercraft with the size of 60cm*30cm

I don't want to make a super-fast hovercraft.I just want it to go steadily and easy to control.
Also,I don't care about loading heavy things on my craft but I want her to float in the water when the lifting fan is shut down

My available DC motors are:
1) 24V,350W,2750rpm 1.7kg
2) 12V,100W,3800rpm 1kg
3) 12V,7W,5000rpm 0.25kg (250g)
4) Brushless Motor Albratoss 1400 KV (I think the weight is lesser than No.3)

I want to make 2 propellers at the back and 1 lifting fan at the center of the craft

My questions are:
1.What motors should I use?
2.Should I attach rubber buoys at her bottom to make her float when the lifting fan is shut down too?

Thank you
BlackMelon is offline Find More Posts by BlackMelon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2013, 04:56 AM
MHA webmaster
United Kingdom, England, Reading
Joined Mar 2011
207 Posts
For something that size I would go for the lighter motors, using the 5000 rpm one for lift and the brushless for thrust - you won't be able to have 2 thrust fans unless you have matching motors. In terms of flotation, you can build in buoyancy by using foam construction in the hull. Keep the construction as light as possible.
jpcwebb is offline Find More Posts by jpcwebb
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined Aug 2013
5 Posts
Thanks for your suggestion

Ps. Have you got any ideas about attaching motors on the foam body?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:17 PM
MHA webmaster
Joined Mar 2011
207 Posts
Typically you would use lightweight ply spars glued and taped in place using foam safe adhesive. Generally it is good to construct the duct out of something more sturdy than foam which gives more opportunity for a solid motor mount. Then you can build the hull from foam. Thin (0.4mm) marine ply and balsa is a good option for the duct.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 07:25 AM
Joined Aug 2013
5 Posts
Thank you for your advice again...

I've done the hovercraft drawing. Please comment it so I can know whether it is good or not

I've planed to attach the lifting fan at the hole to drain air to the skirt. The propeller(s) will be attach as jpcwebb suggest....

Would it gonna work?
Last edited by BlackMelon; Oct 03, 2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 02:12 PM
MHA webmaster
Joined Mar 2011
207 Posts
er, not sure what I'm looking at. I guess the hole is for the lift though seems small (but there is no scale so difficult to say though if it is only 300mm wide, then I'd stand by this assertion), but I'm not sure what the raised platform is doing. Where are the thrust duct/ ruddders going? Where is the skirt attached and how is it inflated (or are you going for open C section/ fingers)? Where will you site your batteries and electronics?