HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:10 AM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
800 Posts
This plane would be awesome for me, if I can take the gear off, get the CG right and belly land in the grass field next to the house. The grass is to long for gear unless you're flying a 5X" inch plane with larger wheels.

Now belly land in longer grass, and this bird has major uses for me.

Mike
Brownie433 is offline Find More Posts by Brownie433
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:06 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasantia View Post
Was that in 3D mode or general flight mode?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:39 AM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
So because some videos contain flight that isn't 3d, it is going to prevent you from flying the plane 3d?
sorry ,i did not say that right,,,,,i am getting vision to learn more slow flying 3d,,,
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:33 AM
United States, IA, Fort Madison
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
3d and high rate
pasantia is online now Find More Posts by pasantia
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:25 AM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Got mine!!! Just completed build, this is one sweet airplane…………..

CHUCKT nice review, I drove to the LHS right after viewing your video and picked one up, good to see videos at a level I understand!!... LOL

General comments:

This is not your ordinary park flyer, this is a more serious foamy, sorta like the CZ Yak, it is stiff and has a lot of nice aerodynamic features. Looking at it in more detail, it looks a lot nicer in my house than the videos or the model on display at the LHS, Horizon raised the bar!!!

Mount the SFG’s dry first to see where they belong in relation to ailerons the bottom SFG’s have
a plastic cover.

If this is your first AS3X, it is important not to use trim or sub trim on the Tx, like the AS3X helis’
As per instructions, fly, trim, land, set trims mechanically, zero Tx trims  Repeat.

For those of you who are curious, you cannot use elevon or flap mode, it must be “Y” connected.

Mine hits the COG with the battery all the way forward (have not flown it yet)

Based on Turkee’s flight post this might be my new go to plane (currently CZ YAK).

Looks a lot nicer in my home than in the videos
Nice sized wheels for grassy landings
E-flite motor ESC and servos
HUGE battery compartment
Easy assembly / clear instructions
Neat little arrows on the fuse to set aileron trim
Stiffeners throughout, especially the belly of the fuse
All the trims look perfect out of the box
Canopy latch
My 3D buddies are calling me a cheater!!!

Dislikes:
Wish the AR635 manual were included in the kit
Watch out for the soft spots on the wing that ChuckT pointed out in the video, I learned to carry by the wing closer to the root.

Confusion:
I have a DX7, and am getting dual rates on both the aileron and gear switch. The throws are greater if I use the aileron switch in addition to the gear switch. I assume the gear switch sets the gyro and the rate switch sets the rates, I cannot get full high rates unless both switches are on high rates.

Lastly if you did not order one what are ya waiting for ???????

I’ve been waiting for a plane like this, Thank you Quique, Dave and Horizon
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Last edited by windrnone; Jan 22, 2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:38 AM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
SO the one thing about this plane that worries me a bit is the hollow wings.
I understand WHY they are hollow.

BUT, if you do break off a wing or seriously crack it - is the material so thin that:

a) small pieces on the break edge may fly off so you cannot just re-glue?
b) the surfaces will no longer be flat, they may "deform" during crash, so that you cannot simply glue the edges back together and get a flat wing surface?

I guess no one at this point knows how thick the surfaces are. But this business about them deforming when grabbed made me think about this. Does anyone fly a different hollow wing foam plane of this size and know how it works out with a break?
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:47 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,296 Posts
DX7s, DX8, and DX18 / DX18QQ setup files are now available at parkzone.com in the Support section:

http://parkzone.com/Products/Default...ProdId=PKZ6580

Also available on spektrumrc.com. Should go live on horizonhobby.com tomorrow.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:18 PM
United States, IA, Fort Madison
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
can you explain what to do with zipfile for dx8 setup files. thanks
pasantia is online now Find More Posts by pasantia
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:19 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2010
100 Posts
Which is the GF/3D - Channel 5? and Trims?

Okay, mine just arrived, still have to build it. Two questions on things I don't understand just from the manual. First, it says the General Flight (GF) vs. 3D setting is channel 5. I have a DX8. I'm confused if this is the Gear or Flight Mode switch, or maybe another one if the post above about the aileron switch is correct. Can anyone confirm which switch is the 3D/GF switch for me on my DX8? If it is flight mode, there are three settings, not just two, which is also a question (Gear only has two settings). Second on the trim issue, I do see that we should not use sub-trim, but is it really true that you can not do the regular digital flight trims as a post above suggests?
rsobel is offline Find More Posts by rsobel
Last edited by rsobel; Jan 21, 2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:21 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,961 Posts
Quote:
can you explain what to do with zipfile for dx8 setup files. thanks
Unzip the file and load it to the SD card. Install it on the Tx in a blank model.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:40 PM
lownslow
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsobel View Post
Okay, mine just arrived, still have to build it. Two questions on things I don't understand just from the manual. First, it says the General Flight (GF) vs. 3D setting is channel 5. I have a DX8. I'm confused if this is the Gear or Flight Mode switch, or maybe another one if the post above about the aileron switch is correct. Can anyone confirm which switch is the 3D/GF switch for me on my DX8? Second on the trim issue, I do see that we should not use sub-trim, but is it really true that you can not do the regular digital flight trims as a post above suggests?
I have a DX7 but IMO the gear switch should set your hi-lo gyro rates, it also seems to affect rates, you will find you have to use each dual rate switch to set your travel rates. Or from my post I put all my rate switches on one - the aileron switch, but it does not matter, I tried both ways and the results are the same. When you move the gear SW you will see the gyro blink rate change from hi to lo gyro rates. However it also changes my travel rates, then in addition I get more travel by switching my dual rate switch...

Regarding trim /sub trim, I would go by the book, on my MSRX heli with AS3X three clicks of trim and the gryo changes modes.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:43 PM
lownslow
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texbird View Post
SO the one thing about this plane that worries me a bit is the hollow wings.
I understand WHY they are hollow.

BUT, if you do break off a wing or seriously crack it - is the material so thin that:

a) small pieces on the break edge may fly off so you cannot just re-glue?
b) the surfaces will no longer be flat, they may "deform" during crash, so that you cannot simply glue the edges back together and get a flat wing surface?

I guess no one at this point knows how thick the surfaces are. But this business about them deforming when grabbed made me think about this. Does anyone fly a different hollow wing foam plane of this size and know how it works out with a break?
Dont crash !!!! I am already way beyond the soft spot while handling.........
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:49 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsobel View Post
Okay, mine just arrived, still have to build it. Two questions on things I don't understand just from the manual. First, it says the General Flight (GF) vs. 3D setting is channel 5. I have a DX8. I'm confused if this is the Gear or Flight Mode switch, or maybe another one if the post above about the aileron switch is correct. Can anyone confirm which switch is the 3D/GF switch for me on my DX8? If it is flight mode, there are three settings, not just two, which is also a question (Gear only has two settings). Second on the trim issue, I do see that we should not use sub-trim, but is it really true that you can not do the regular digital flight trims as a post above suggests?
Yes. AS3X interprets more than 3-4 clicks of tx trim (tx trim-step set to minimum) as pilot input. After in-flight trimming, be sure to transfer any tx trim to mechanical trim. Even without AS3X, it is considered standard modeling practice to get the mechanical trim as close as possible, and then use tx trim for fine adjustments.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:04 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Yes. AS3X interprets more than 3-4 clicks of tx trim (tx trim-step set to minimum) as pilot input. After in-flight trimming, be sure to transfer any tx trim to mechanical trim. Even without AS3X, it is considered standard modeling practice to get the mechanical trim as close as possible, and then use tx trim for fine adjustments.

Joel
If subtrim is not to be used, after attaching the servo horn as close to 90 degrees, how do you center the horn? Or do you have to "live" with it offset a little? I usually like to get my servo horns at a perfect 90 degrees and that's usually only acheived with subtrim...
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:22 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
If subtrim is not to be used, after attaching the servo horn as close to 90 degrees, how do you center the horn? Or do you have to "live" with it offset a little? I usually like to get my servo horns at a perfect 90 degrees and that's usually only acheived with subtrim...
Mugen,

I prefer to do the same as you. However, with AS3X, we have to live with it. The manuals of all AS3X aircraft note that subtrim is not to be used.

Joel
RCG Plus Member