HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2003, 04:35 PM
Backyard Bomber
Joined May 2002
401 Posts
Sturdyboard for micro models?

Hi everyone, I'm askinf for a JMP rx and accesories for Christmas and was wondering if stripped Stturdyboard would be suitable for these light weight models. it is about 3/16" when ready. It is quite lightweight, but would it be too thick for the tail feathers?
Bsmooth is offline Find More Posts by Bsmooth
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2003, 04:39 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,435 Posts
Just to give you a comparison, generally 1/32 contest balsa is used for the tail when balsa is used. I often use 2mm Depron for tail surfaces, and sometimes sand that down to 1mm. Weight is everything.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is online now Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Dec 03, 2003, 04:43 PM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,979 Posts
That is close to 5mm - much too thick (read heavy) for micro models IMHO. I would consider 3mm Depron too heavy for anything but the wings. Don't despair though, you can sand the foam thinner. I use a cheap oscillating sander for thinning down sheets.

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Dec 03, 2003, 04:46 PM
Backyard Bomber
Joined May 2002
401 Posts
I may still make a "universal" fuselage out of it so I may try different wing/tail configurations out of balsa wood. I really need a hotwire bow

what other materials are there that I could use (aside from balsa) to make micro tails/wings out of?

I do have acess to balsa and cf rod, but i'm just wondering what is commonly available (in the US )
Last edited by Bsmooth; Dec 03, 2003 at 04:49 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2003, 05:27 PM
Lenexa KS USA
Joined Jun 2001
347 Posts
bsmooth
For your micro tail feathers go to grocery store and buy a package of styrofoam plates. Not trays. Round plates, the flat part should be large enough and only about 1-1.5mm thick. I think it's the Hefty brand that has the larger 10 inch. The always save brand is smaller but a little lighter foam. For less than three dollars you should be able to make fifty tail feathers. For the wings go to Depron USA and get a couple sheets of 2mm Depron and you should be set for the winter. If that doesn't work then wrap the 2mm depron around your favorite drink and serve lunch to your flying mates with the plates.
Dan
Dan Leonard is offline Find More Posts by Dan Leonard
Last edited by Dan Leonard; Dec 03, 2003 at 05:32 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2003, 05:40 PM
Backyard Bomber
Joined May 2002
401 Posts
hey that is a good idea, well thought! I could probable even use it for wings if I made a four-panel polyhedral
Old Dec 03, 2003, 06:15 PM
Lenexa KS USA
Joined Jun 2001
347 Posts
You can try it for wings but it doesn't like to be rolled. It was heat crushed into the flat shape.
Dan
Dan Leonard is offline Find More Posts by Dan Leonard
Old Dec 03, 2003, 07:20 PM
Backyard Bomber
Joined May 2002
401 Posts
I planned of using the heat gun to flex shape it
Old Dec 03, 2003, 08:49 PM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
The sturdy board or art board seems close to depron.
Maybe you can hotwire cut some to 1mm or 2mm.
It might come out better shape than the foam plates as only the outer surface will have seen much heat. If you cut it quick enough maybe it will be good with a little sanding. I'm not sure though as I am a foam newbie.

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Old Dec 03, 2003, 09:14 PM
Las Vegas Realtor
Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2002
1,114 Posts
You can also score (under side) the styro plates to make an airfoil shape. Just smear a bit of foam-safe CA glue over the score marks and hand-form or use tape to hold the shape until set. I have made several models this way including this one.

-John
Inari is offline Find More Posts by Inari
Old Dec 03, 2003, 09:59 PM
Backyard Bomber
Joined May 2002
401 Posts
Interesting model there Inari, is the fuselage made out of plate foam as well?
Old Dec 04, 2003, 12:00 AM
Las Vegas Realtor
Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2002
1,114 Posts
Yep, all Hefty foam plate: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=barbar
Inari is offline Find More Posts by Inari