SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:53 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2010
210 Posts
Discussion
Brodak Lightning Streak Jr. engine options?

I was fortunate enough to acquire a Lightning Streak Jr. on the Bay for about half of retail. It is a very complete kit and very nicely cut. It has 230 square inches and is listed as for an .09 to .19 engine, with a P.A.W. 1.49cc (.09) diesel shown on the plans.
I have four engines which could get this plane around a circle. T.D. .09 (no!), O.S. Max .10 (new, with muffler). Fox .15 (not new, fair but not great compression), aand a Veco .19 (great condition, too big, no muffler). The O.S. and the Fox are the most reasonable options and both fit well. I don't know if the .10 has enough beans for the job, and I don't know how much life to expect from the Fox. Thoughts or experience welcome.
Gnu4FF is offline Find More Posts by Gnu4FF
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:28 PM
I'm going flying!
Colchester IL
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
why not the TD? That seems like the choice.
rcflyer-rick is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer-rick
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Jul 2011
182 Posts
On the assumption that the Brodak Lightning Streak Jr is just a remake of the old Top Flite Jr. Flite Streak I think the Veco could be made to work ok. I have one of the Top Flite birds powered by an OS Max 19 it only took a little careful work with a file to get the Max to drop right in with four screws solidly drilled through the hardwood engine mounts
Ratracer is offline Find More Posts by Ratracer
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
I'm an advocate of the TD 09. Friend has a Jr Streak with an LA 10 and it goes OK. The Fox 15 will last a long time if you run adequate castor oil in your fuel. I would think a Veco 19 too much engine, although the first Jr Streak I built had and Enya 29 on it.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:11 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
875 Posts
Engine choices

The TD 09 is the perfect engine, IMO. The Jr Streak was designed around the very first Fox 15X, the steel fin model, and most 15Xes matched to it very well. An FP 10 is a very close match to a Fox 15X, while the oldest OS Max 10, that came right after the Pet 09, was weak like a baby kitten.

One of my own early Jr. Streaks had a GH Torp 19, which was way more than it could use. It was fast, but too heavy, and not maneuverable. The best of all that flew best, was most maneuverable and pleasant in all regards had a GH Torp 15 that ran like a veritable little busy sewing machine, lovely little engine.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Sep 08, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Jul 2010
210 Posts
The TD .09 is being saved for Free Flight use. The O.S. engine is the sixties version you refer to. The O.S. (w/ muffler) weighs 3 5/8 oz, as does the Fox w/o muffler. The Veco (ball bearing model) weighs 6 1/4 oz.! I think .15 is a good fit for the plane, or a modern .10 or .12. The Brodak Flite Streak Jr. does have the same wing area as the Lightning Streak.
My concern is that there's no going back once the mounts are drilled for a specific engine.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
Just fill the old mount holes with a piece of skewer or dowel, and epoxy and drill new mount holes.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Go fast! Run the Veco .19.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Jul 2010
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
Go fast! Run the Veco .19.
Fast isn;t what I'm looking for. I have a couple of metric K&B's that could rip the wings off this thing. I'm 65 and have been around long enough to not want to go around that fast. I could make the /Veco fit and its a very nice engine, but it deserves a larger planform. I'm eyeing a few offerings on the Bay, a newer Fox and a few Enya .15's. If they stay cheap they might be a possibility. If I had a decent back up in the wings (hahaha) the Fox would be a good choice. I don't know how much weight will be needed to balance this thing out. The kit wood seems very light, maybe overly so in some locations. All in all I'm impressed with the quality of the kit. Although it's not laser cut, the parts are all so cleanly cut the will fall out without any tearing.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:59 PM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
136 Posts
The Jr. Lightnin Streak has a little different wing construction with cap strips. The tail sections are different. I like both.

Assuming the Fox is a baffle engine, the original Jr. Flite Streak was designed for it (without muffler). If yours has a muffler, it might balance out if you build a little heavy. With a Fox .15 use 52'x.012 lines. If you opt for the OS, try 42'x.012's.

As previously mentioned IMHO the TD.09 would be ideal.

The Veco .19 would be better both balance and power wise for a full size Flite Streak.

Of course we can only suggest, the final decision is yours. Good luck with it.

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Jul 2010
210 Posts
Funny you should mention building heavy. Being chiefly a FreeFlighter, I naturally try for lightness, not weight. The kit wood was surprisingly good wood for the most part, and quite light. I don't know, but I imagine mufflers are required at whatever local sites are active here in Houston.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:59 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnu4FF View Post
Funny you should mention building heavy. Being chiefly a FreeFlighter, I naturally try for lightness, not weight. The kit wood was surprisingly good wood for the most part, and quite light. I don't know, but I imagine mufflers are required at whatever local sites are active here in Houston.
The only official CL field is in the Addicks Impoundment Area, a low water catch basin with a levee around three sides of it, much of which is now George Bush Park. Scobee Field is in the SW corner of the park area, or I should say, at the boundary between the third and fourth quadrants, crossing it east to west, just before reaching the many Soccer fields.

TTBOMK, mufflers are not required on the grass circles, where the combat fliers are active on a regular basis. If anyone has started making up rules for using mufflers on the asphalt circles, I haven't heard about it, and I imagine I would have gotten that news.

Kiwi
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Jul 2010
210 Posts
Well alrighty then. Thanks Kiwi.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:48 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
875 Posts
Check your Inbox

PM posted your direction minutes ago, before I saw your reply here.

K.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
There are several active CL fliers in the Houston area. If you post on Stunthanger or the Stuka Stunt Forum, I expect someone will contact you, There is a thread on Stunthanger for people to contact. Scobee Field is the only place in the Houston area where I have flown in recent years. I have flown both muffled and unmuffled airplanes there. They fly jets on the adjacent RC field.