HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2012, 02:19 AM
USA, MS, Picayune
Joined Nov 2010
30 Posts
Discussion
Modified Deb question

Hey guys,

A few weeks back I built a Deb but with a flat wing. I left the wings at the full 60".

Also while I was building this, I had came across a post where somebody had cut the wing down a little. For some reason now I can't find it, of course I may be looking in the wrong place.

Anyway, question is, how much can I cut the wing down?? And if I do, what can I expect? Will it fly more aerobatic?
Gooseoverland is offline Find More Posts by Gooseoverland
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 02:25 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
Hey Goose, I'll give this a stab since no one has answered..... a lot of the guys are getting ready for Spadfest. I *thought* I had seen where someone had cut 4" off each end, but don't know if that's accurate or not. If you've got the standard open end wing, I would cut an inch off each end and fly it. You know it's going to increase your roll rate the more you cut it off, while increasing your wing loading. Compare the size of the wing to planes on Tower Hobbies that fly like you want to fly. I wouldn't go past 4" until you find that other post or someone pipes up and gives you more info. You could also post over on Spadworld.net to see if you get an answer. I know Clean, Chris or Gravity can give you the answer you're looking for. Good luck with it!
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:07 AM
USA, MS, Picayune
Joined Nov 2010
30 Posts
Hey Johns,

Thanks for the reply.

I thought more about it, and plan on just taking 1" total off (1/2" on both sides) and start from there.

I will try spadworld and see what I can come up with.
Gooseoverland is offline Find More Posts by Gooseoverland
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:44 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
I doubt you'll see any difference taking off just an inch total but probably better to nibble at it 'til you get it where you want it instead of lopping off too much. If you've got one of those multi-tools they are GREAT for cutting stuff like that because they don't vibrate a lot and don't sling a lot of dust everywhere. They cut like butter, but if you slip they don't do a lot of damage.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ing-tools.html

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pa...spx?catid=2094
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop