Old Dec 08, 2011, 06:08 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,900 Posts
Build Log
'FROG' Jupiter

Hi Chaps,
I spotted one of these at Old Warden in 2008 and fell in love with it, managed to find a plan but have never got round to building one.
We are having a vintage fly-in over here next year so decided I would have a crack at the Jupiter for this event.
I am in 2 minds whether this will work or not.
The plans I have had enlarged to around 48" span, I wanted to go diesel but this I think may make things a little exciting! so will go electric.
First thoughts when looking at the plan was there is no way this will work!, bags of positive incidence and 5 or so degrees negative on the tailplane.
So first job was to make everything neutral, this has been done and I have made a start on the fuselage with a little added strength.
The tailplane has also been constructed but I altered the tips so that they are laminated, again just for strength.

I am more than likely going to have lots of questions to ask as this is something I have never tackled before.
Here are a few photos of what I have constructed so far, if you do see if I am going in the wrong direction with something then please let me know.

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:42 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,227 Posts
Rich: That seems like a nice distraction nice job so far.

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2011, 08:13 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,980 Posts
Looks good to me so far Richard, I see no reason why it shouldn't be fine. I think it is wise to go electric, it should be a delightful model.

I've added a link to this build log to the first post in the Frog build off thread.

Be watching with interest, any problems or concerns do ask, there is loads of expertise on this forum, although you may get several conflicting views - but then you can make your own mind up!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:16 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,900 Posts
Front section has been rolled in 3mm thick balsa, which was soaked in boiling water for a couple of hours.
I will be using a gearbox so as to swing a more scale like prop, the mount I will work on today if 'her down stairs' lets me.

A couple of snaps

Regards

Rich
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:04 AM
Use your imagination....
Turkey, Izmir, Seferihisar
Joined Oct 2007
1,165 Posts
Looks good...

Cem

Not: Scarab very beautiful model...
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
Last edited by czirh; Dec 11, 2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:23 PM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Rich,
Very good choice of FROG model might I say!! I built a Saturn (scaled up to 38") a couple of years ago for electric, as a follow on to my very successful Linnet. I am shortly to start Venus.. when work allows! Keep up the good work.
Mark
marksherlock is offline Find More Posts by marksherlock
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:59 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,673 Posts
Quote:
when work allows!
Still not finished those ancient 727s yet Mark I thought those beasts were banned because of noise.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:56 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksherlock View Post
Rich,
Very good choice of FROG model might I say!! I built a Saturn (scaled up to 38") a couple of years ago for electric, as a follow on to my very successful Linnet. I am shortly to start Venus.. when work allows! Keep up the good work.
Mark
Come on Mark, stop playing about with those old wrecks and get that Frog started - you've only got 4.1/2 months left, which might be enough time for Ray to build another half dozen, but it's not too long for us mere mortals!

Back on topic; the Jupiter is looking seriously nice, excellent work.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:03 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,900 Posts
Slow progress!

The nose is all but finished now and I have made up the wing mounting box.

I have reduced the dihedral from 22 degrees to 18 degrees but I'm unsure if this is the way to go?
At this stage I can make up a new box as its just dry fitted at the moment.

Regards

Rich
Old Dec 14, 2011, 05:03 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,980 Posts
Re Dihedral

Is this a rudder/elevator model? If so I always use the rule of thumb "1 inch per foot of semi-span plus 1 inch" - in other words a 36" span model would have 2.5" under each tip. Don't know what your 18 degrees will equate to, but the above works fine on all my rudder/elevator models.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:00 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,900 Posts
Yes,
Just rudder, elevator and throttle is the plan. The plan shows a trim tab on the rudder, just not sure if the area will be enough? I want to keep it looking something like the original.

Made up the box for the UC mount and I'm sticking with the original design in that it is a 2 part job. I see no reason why it shouldn't work?

I have 2 spinners, one too big and one too small. So I used the smaller one and laminated it up with 1/4" balsa, then machined it back to the right diameter. Will dope or varnish it to finish it off, I think it is more fitting than having a plastic one slapped on the front. Also the prop driver that came with the motor and gearbox was a little short so I have made a new one up with a little b it more length to suit.

Regards

Rich
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:25 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,980 Posts
Really nice work Rich - love the spinner, as you say much more appropriate than sticking a plastic one on the front. I am planning to build a KK Bandit next year and it famously had a laminated balsa spinner, which will be essential in my view on my electric version.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:35 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Very cool Rich, watching with interest. Do you know who designed the Jupiter? It doesn't always say on the Frog plans...

Jon
Yak 52 is offline Find More Posts by Yak 52
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:54 PM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Rich,
Very nice build so far
It was quite unusual for FROG to have 3 models in a series (Jupiter, Saturn and Venus) that seemed to have very little in common with each other.
Keep up the good work
Mark
marksherlock is offline Find More Posts by marksherlock
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:51 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2014
195 Posts
Hello Safelandings - any photos of the your finished 133% Jupiter ???
I just printed out 100% plans, want to go true to plans on first go, but it looks like a nice plane to scale up.
My reason for picking this plane? It is the one that SteveWMD uses as his logo - or maybe mascot - on his Outerzone site. I'm looking through all these planes on his site and come across one I was trying to figure out where I had seen it before. It was a moment like in It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World when the cast is scrambling around under the Big W Tree Formation looking for the Big W where the money is hidden. A few moments later and I realized it was the drawing at the top of just about every page served up from Steve's server...

Anyway, do tell - even better, show if you have any photos!

Cheers,
Poughkeepsie Pete
PGregory is online now Find More Posts by PGregory