SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2003, 09:19 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
What's wrong with my Tantrum landing gear?

I've flown my Tantrum on the stock motor 5 times and I'm having a problem with the landing gear.

On the fourth flight I landed at about 3 mph, about 6 inches off the deck I cut the power and kinda flop down bending the landing gear backwards and breaking the front bottom bulkhead reinforcement.

I cut the bottom of the fuselage off to get to the broken parts, replaced the bulkhead reinforcement and added a second reinforcement for strength. It seems you could use additional beefing in front of the bulkhead as the force of the landing gear will move the top of the landing gear forward.

After reinforcing I flew again today, landed again at about 3 mph cut the throttle about 6 inches off the deck and.... yep broke the bulkhead reinforcement again. Anyone else having this problem. I think I need to use ply instead of balsa, this doesn't make any sense.

I burned up my Speed 300 motor on the 2nd flight and now I think the GWS 300-C "D" is about ready to go. The motor was very hot when I landed.

Grant
Parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2003, 09:46 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,973 Posts
Grant,
You have my sympathy. You've had your miniflash and your tantrum go down.

I've also busted the reinforcements for the landing gear. I used both, 3/32 balsa and liteply to reinforce the reinforcement. My tantrum is a little heavier than the average, but then so am I. I cannot land successfully on grass as it just flips over. I busted the reinforcements just as you did, so now I fly it in with power all the way, and it lands soft and smooth. If I try to flop it in, I just seem to slam it, so I fly it in, cutting power on touchdown. Still land slow, but it lands and doesn't fall.

I have done a few other things because of my lack of sensitivity in my hands, I tend to crush things. I've braced the velco canopy hold downs so I can use oppossing force to close them. I also ran a support between the front parts of the wings. I can pick it up almost anywhere without crushing it. mine weighs in at a bout 12.5 oz without batteries.

The Tantrum is my favorite plane and I think Doug did a great job designing it. I use the old Harley Davis method, if it breaks, make it twice as strong. Then you break something else.

Good Luck,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jul 08, 2003, 09:56 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
I fly my Tantrum really light and haven't broken the gear yet but I will look into beefing it up

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Jul 08, 2003, 10:24 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Yep, it was a bad day today, the Miniflash was my fault but this thing flys so dang good.

The Tantrum is frustrating because I know how hard I landed and it wasn't hard at all. I think you may be right though, fly it in and it will probably survive.

thanks for the support
Old Jul 09, 2003, 12:28 AM
pfm
Patrick Mahoney
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Sep 2002
1,070 Posts
I bet it would be great for belly-landings on grass.
pfm is offline Find More Posts by pfm
Old Jul 09, 2003, 03:22 AM
Lurker
Longmont, Colorado
Joined Nov 2000
493 Posts
I have really dorked mine in several times, even bent the gear but it has yet to come apart. I tend to bring it in a little hot and it just rolls on to a stop. I am landing on a short grass though. About the length of a front lawn.

My gear fits really tight. How about others? You might try some thin CA followed by thick CA as a fillet around the gear bulkheads.

K
KonstantKrash is offline Find More Posts by KonstantKrash
Old Jul 09, 2003, 12:27 PM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Did you guys put a couple of pieces of kevlar line
about halfway down the gear legs tieing the
gear legs together.

This keeps the gear from spreading out on landing.

Dave
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Jul 09, 2003, 01:30 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KonstantKrash
You might try some thin CA followed by thick CA as a fillet around the gear bulkheads.
This is my suggestion as well. It really helps harden up the balsa. I soaked mine with thin and I cant see it breaking.

Mike
www.atlantaeflyers.com
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Jul 09, 2003, 08:19 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
I think I may have the spectra thread a little too low on the landing gear. It prevents the wheels from flexing very much, transfering the shock to the mount. After I fix the bulkhead I'm going to remove the thread and move it up about a 1/2" higher for more give.

I'm going to use ply for the reinforcement and soak it in CA. That should do it.

Grant
Old Jul 09, 2003, 10:57 PM
Lurker
Longmont, Colorado
Joined Nov 2000
493 Posts
I never did add the thread to my gear. hmmmm
KonstantKrash is offline Find More Posts by KonstantKrash
Old Jul 10, 2003, 01:15 AM
TeamZiering
Chandler, AZ
Joined Mar 2002
1,860 Posts
I had this problem on the miniflash. I broke the landing gear bulkhead 8 or 10 times. It become ridiculous to even try and fix after a point. The key is to keep your landing gear flexible. Ideally, Use it until it stops working. Then, take it out (It uses friction fit) and put in new gear. I'm not one for consumerism, but I can justify a once in a while gear change.

My gear has been holding up well, and Im using HECells and a brushless. I have no kevlar on the wheels, and it's built bone stock.

-Josh-
enigmabomb is offline Find More Posts by enigmabomb