HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2007, 04:58 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
827 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Siren Hotliner

What do people think about this ARF from Great Planes? I looks great and I'm sure it will go fast. Has anyone owned one or seen one fly? Pros and Cons of the ARF?
panzerd18 is offline Find More Posts by panzerd18
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2007, 05:17 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,413 Posts
Well, most hotliners are very fast I had a look at their website and it doesnt seem too bad. I dont know anyone who has one but if you post in the Hotliners thread you should get some results i would think
SNIPE_53 is offline Find More Posts by SNIPE_53
Old Nov 22, 2007, 05:54 AM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi Guys

I was told that Hyperion the G-22 series motors fit the best.
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Last edited by rcozstyle; Nov 22, 2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 06:17 AM
knee ligaments are over rated
Melbourne , Outer East .
Joined Dec 2003
2,578 Posts
Head over to the high performance forum . There is a very big thread on the Siren . My personal view on the Siren " it`s a bit wimpy as far as hotliners go . It`s a bit more like a fast thermal plane that doesn`t thermal real good "
dingo is offline Find More Posts by dingo
Old Nov 22, 2007, 03:22 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
827 Posts
Dingo thats pretty much what I want, a fast thermal plane. I have looked at the CMPro Omei and Thunder Tiger Hawk-e 2000/Soaring star and they all are much heavier. I'm having trouble deciding :S
Old Nov 22, 2007, 05:14 PM
knee ligaments are over rated
Melbourne , Outer East .
Joined Dec 2003
2,578 Posts
I`ve seen the e-Hawk , Omei & Siren fly ( never seen a soaring star ). The ehawk is the best thermaler out of this bunch but put it in a steep dive & the wings can really start to flap . The Omei performs well but is a bit weak in a few areas ( fuse is like an egg shell & the wings will eventually break if often pushed hard ) I can`t comment on the longivity of the Siren as friends owned the ehawk & Omei but I watched a stranger fly the Siren . I would think the Siren is stronger than the Omei & Ehawk . I have also often wondered how the Supersonic from Precision aerobatics performs . You`ve got a tough decision there Panzerd , let us know the out come . If it helps there`s a huge thread on the Omei in the electric sail planes forum . Omei anyone parts 1 & 2 .
dingo is offline Find More Posts by dingo
Old Nov 22, 2007, 05:22 PM
Upside down Miss Jane....
Georgetown, Newcastle, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
2,153 Posts
Go with the siren if you want something you can thermal and have some fun with. Its without doubt a warmliner.

A G2220-10 on 3S and 10x8 will take a mouton vertically but would be a little wimpy for this plane in my opinion. It would still give a pretty climb though. A Bigger outrunner like a hyperion 3025 will be tricky to fit due to the sirens hotliner esq nose. Its doable but the Omei and TT Hawk would be much more suited to an outrunner.

Have a look at the Himax 3615-1600 as a possible cheaper option for the siren.

cheers, Shawn
Stuntman is offline Find More Posts by Stuntman
Old Nov 22, 2007, 05:27 PM
Joined Aug 2002
2,153 Posts
The siren will be "easier" to thermal than the PA supersonic. Worth considering though.

Both require the wing to be removed for a battey change - so consider this if its going to be a potential issue
Old Nov 22, 2007, 08:49 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
827 Posts
I like the idea of the Omei or TT Hawk having an outrunner as there is so much more choice out there.

I have found this inrunner motor that might be suitable for the Siren and sure would give it performance but is it too heavy?

http://www.highendrc.com/index_eprod...products_id=52
Old Nov 22, 2007, 08:56 PM
Joined Aug 2002
2,153 Posts
Yeah, that motor would work. They recomend a 10x6 but you could go bigger - maybe a 12x8 or 13x7 for starters on 3S.

(they recomend a 10x6 for sailplanes yet a 12x7 for sportplanes?)

Under 35amps on 3S - I'd try an 11x8 first.

You will probably need a little extra weight to get it too balance and in my opinion its better to use a more pwerful motor than add lead The elevator servo is mounted in the fin which will not help balance issues either. - have look in the high performance or E-sailplanes forum all those guys are using fairly hefty motors.

Balance will definetly be an issue with the G2220 motor.
Last edited by Stuntman; Nov 22, 2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 09:05 PM
Joined Aug 2002
2,153 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=siren

check here. Maybe worthwhile giving David a PM given he is relatively local to you and the thread is current. The HET motor you are looking at has similar figures to the himax/himark one he has.

cheers, Shawn
Last edited by Stuntman; Nov 22, 2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:09 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
827 Posts
The Himark motor looks good and he bought it from Roj Hobbies where I buy all my stuff. It is a little heavier than the HET motor but around 30 grams, but did you say that it needs to be heavy for it to balance the Siren?

A person from the Siren Review thread on RC Groups said it is possible to put an outrunner on the end too. But this would be mounted on the end of the firewall not before it like an inrunner?
Old Nov 23, 2007, 02:57 AM
Joined Aug 2002
2,153 Posts
I haven't had one myself, but like most T-tailed hotliners they need a bit of weight up front to balance. From what I gather from the siren threads this seems to be case. Seems to be a couple of guys using outrunners mounted up against a nose firewall as per an inrunner. So its doable but its a PIA in my opinion. I have seen lately a few guys mounting a firewall further back down the fuse and rear mounting the outrunner so thats a possibility too.

I am guessing you are going to need a motor of around 150-200 grams to get the balance right without adding lead (just move the pack around to fine tune).

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1065.html

Download the build manual to get an idea.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:44 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
827 Posts
Ok I think I have decided to get the Siren. I can have fun with it to go fast and then be able to thermal it ok due to its relatively low weight.

I think I will get the 200gram HET 600-34 or Himark 36-30-3 inrunner with a KV of 1000. Still deciding on a 3S or 4S battery. I like the new Hyperion Cool Bec 35 and 50 amp speed controllers.

Did some calculations on drivecalc with a similar motor with the same Kv and found to keep the Amps below 35amps with a 3S lipo that the AeroCam 12x6.5, 12x7, 12x8 folder was good producing around 1.5 to 1.7 kgs of static thrust. If I go up to 4S also keeping below 35amps a Graupner or AeroCam 10x6 for around 1.7 to 1.8 kgs of thrust.

To go close to its 600 watt power in figure for the 600-34, I would use a 4S with a 12x6.5 aerocam to get 583 watts in and a static thrust figure of nearly 2.4 kgs. They say the flying weight without battery is around 950gram so add battery to get around 1.1kg and thrust of 2.4kgs thats a lot of power!!
Last edited by panzerd18; Nov 23, 2007 at 06:52 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 07:08 AM
Molded Hotliner Destroyer
Perth, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerd18
To go close to its 600 watt power in figure for the 600-34, I would use a 4S with a 12x6.5 aerocam to get 583 watts in and a static thrust figure of nearly 2.4 kgs. They say the flying weight without battery is around 950gram so add battery to get around 1.1kg and thrust of 2.4kgs thats a lot of power!!
Oh no, another addict in the making Soon enough you will work up to 3000 watts and 10+kg thrust on a 2kg plane. 240km/h VERTICAL, yeah baby!

I don't think you will be disapointed with the Siren. It is probably not the best thermal plane, but a great all rounder.
Magnum9 is offline Find More Posts by Magnum9