HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2014, 05:51 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,431 Posts
It was flying too slow half throttle isn't enough for the war bird she need der powah.
At speed you will find the true trims. Once its tracking your pilot needs to back off the throttle to see how it handles near stall. Learn its slow flight characteristics - Just in case there is a early flame out he can land without stalling to high off the deck.
It took off with a few clicks up elevator than once the initial thrust from launch was done the low rpm was not enough to fly the plane / yes it may be enough once the elevator is dialed in.. just tad low on power 3 clicks up throttle needed min.
You should alway horse a new plane up with plenty power to get it up at trim height as soon as possible.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2014, 07:42 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil U View Post
There's plenty of washout at the tips. It's hard to see from the vid, but it was picking up speed and altitude before the crash and behaving much better than previous attempts. The movement was due to the pilot's aileron input. The increase in angle was the plane picking up speed and climbing.
I've looked at the video a few times more now and I cannot see any pickup up of speed or climbing.
To me it looks like the speed is simply too low for level flight, the pilot then gives more up-elevator which gives a higher angle of attack, the plane then slows down and stalls...

The correct/better input would have been more throttle, build up speed first then climb out...
surfer_kris is online now Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Last edited by surfer_kris; May 30, 2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: corrected missspelling
Old May 30, 2014, 09:47 AM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
930 Posts
I totally agree, it looks too slow for the weight of the airplane. The launch was too slow and the pilot should have gotten the nose down right away to try to build up speed before climbing out.

On the bright side, the plane looked like it was pretty close to flying. If launched with a harder throw, followed by keeping it low and not trying to climb too soon, it might work.

I would try an 8x4 prop. I think it would accelerate quicker. You really need more low speed thrust at the dangerous point of launch. I've flown .15 size planes with an 8x4 and they can go plenty fast. A little less pitch will help it at the beginning where you need it.

The video was very helpful. Keep it up! (but not the nose)

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Jun 03, 2014, 05:42 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
331 Posts
It Flies!!

After applying as much right thrust as possible (about 5 degrees), this beast is now a flying beast!

I missed the maiden on video as I was doing the launch, so the vids are the second flight.

Same procedure as before, start off on lower throttle to reduce torque and test the thrust, then feed in the power. This baby is NOT short on power.

The added side thrust prevented the torque roll which was pushing it into the ground and causing what looked like stalling (and effectively was, I guess). This has has made it flyable, albeit still with 100% right trim to keep it steady. An adjustment to be made there at the horns. For those building this model, perhaps add the right thrust even though the plans don't call for it. I don't know why Smalley's prototype got away without it.

Once in the air the model is an absolute ratbag: super fast and almost 3D-like in maneuverability. On dead stick it glides in to land nicely as long as the nose is allowed to lead it. On the maiden it glided straight past us at eye level and was marvellous to watch.

It looks great in the air even though it was hard to see against the clouds. The test pilot loved it and wanted me to keep bringing it out. It's still a little outside of my comfort zone, but I guess there's only one way to fix that...

This is an exciting little beast and not for the learner flyer. For those about to build, we salute you!

ttelstra07 068 (0 min 38 sec)

ttelstra07 069 (0 min 43 sec)
Phil U is offline Find More Posts by Phil U
Old Jun 03, 2014, 06:46 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
388 Posts
Nice work.

One question though. Are you sure that's a warbird. I thought it was a pylon racer hahahaha.
NOI53Y is online now Find More Posts by NOI53Y
Old Jun 03, 2014, 06:51 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
331 Posts
Yes, it's not exactly sedate. Hmmm. pylon racing... Not such a silly idea!

It's bloody quick alright.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 03:26 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,431 Posts
Yay Phil Congrats!! Glad to see your efforts have been rewarded.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Jun 03, 2014, 05:42 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
930 Posts
Great job!
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Jun 04, 2014, 12:45 AM
Joined Feb 2011
96 Posts
It looks great..!
I hope all of the P-47 pilots up in Heaven got a chance to see it, too.
combatpigg is offline Find More Posts by combatpigg
Old Jun 04, 2014, 12:53 AM
United Kingdom, England, Leeds
Joined Feb 2013
87 Posts
Well done Phil excellent build log and great plane
what`s next??
marek84 is offline Find More Posts by marek84
Old Jun 04, 2014, 04:57 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,010 Posts
I'm glad to hear/see that it flies well

I don't really understand the addition of right-thrust though. I don't see how that could counteract any of the torque from the engine/prop at slow airspeeds. Is the prop really pointing 5 to the right? Perhaps something else is misaligned too?
surfer_kris is online now Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Jun 04, 2014, 11:28 AM
Joined Feb 2011
96 Posts
The best way I know of to check allignment is to bolt a thick steel plate in place of the prop and set the model down on the table standing on it's nose.
Now you can compare the model's stance with a carpenter's square and also take key measurements from the surface of the table to various points on the model.
Some right thrust is prudent [can't hurt], mainly to ensure that you do not have any left thrust. I do not think small props [8 inches or less] on a sport .15 don't create enough gyroscopic precession on a model this large to cause any worries. I've flown a lot of 1/12th scale combat with planes this size and power.
ANY left thrust is what will ruin your day. The fine tuning of this can be done after observing how it tracks in prolonged vertical lines and of course how it tracks during launch.
Having the left [port side] of the plane heavier than the opposite side will make the model swoop to that side during launch. It's easy to check for this with your finger tips. Some models are easier to check while inverted. Poor lateral balance will show itself during launch and will also make the model favor turning one way more than the other at flying speed.
combatpigg is offline Find More Posts by combatpigg
Last edited by combatpigg; Jun 04, 2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2014, 04:32 PM
mjd
MikesRC
Canada, ON, Orangeville
Joined Aug 2003
52 Posts
The tiniest amount of left on my heavier deltas makes launches a puckering experience. Had to tweak it out of two of them. I think my eyes are crooked.
mjd is offline Find More Posts by mjd
Old Jun 05, 2014, 07:00 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
331 Posts
Thanks for all the kind comments everyone. It's been fun, frustrating and rewarding.

Perhaps to put doubts to rest, the plane notably rotates to the left when the throttle is increased while it is sitting in the cradle. It seems to be well balanced down its axis otherwise. The right thrust has not cured all of the effects of this but it has done enough to make it fly in a straight line, particularly during launch. And yes, the prop is noticeably veering to the right. Measured against the firewall it is 5 degrees right, with about 3 degrees down (harder to measure accurately).

Marek if you get back to building yours perhaps hinge the rudder until you get it flying properly. Also, launch over long grass only! To answer your question I'm just finishing painting a Sig Astro hog at the moment. When that's done I'll have a break before starting on Proctor's Sopwith Camel kit, which will be a long term project. I also want to build something for an .049 and something easy for my son in the near future. Then I'll need a biplane to practice for the Camel, etc....

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement and help on this project. This is a really pretty little aircraft and i would encourage anyone to build it. Doing it on this forum has been fun and motivating too.

Cheers!