HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:06 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,559 Posts
Here's a good size comparison. I'm 71 inches tall if I stand up straight (for you, Mom). Thanks to Tom Wagner for the photo.

Gary
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:47 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,765 Posts
With those very tapered wings Gary, how do you avoid tip stalling, especially when making low, slow turns indoors?

I'm guessing lots of washout, differential and a very low wing loading.

Lovely work!

Nick
nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:29 PM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,559 Posts
No washout, some differential, and low wing loading.

Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:40 AM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,746 Posts
I saw the C-47 and the Spacewalker fly in Texas last year and I was so impressed! We left the event and on the 5 hour drive home all we could talk about was building giant indoor foamies. Awesome airplane.
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:27 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,765 Posts
Giant Foamy Starship

Here's my giant foamy, inspired by Gary's C-47. Waiting for the maiden now.

Here's the build thread.Thank you Gary!

Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:57 AM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,559 Posts
Still Airworthy!

Here's a new outdoor video taken January 31, 2013.

Gary

120" RC C-47 only 6 Pounds Version 2 (3 min 51 sec)
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:52 PM
Make me a proper Spitfire!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
1,016 Posts
Very , very nice. Thanks for sharing!
SAPSPIT is offline Find More Posts by SAPSPIT
Old Jul 05, 2014, 11:26 AM
Lookout For The!Radio Silence.
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Nov 2007
5,841 Posts
Please build another one with a proper step by step build thread for us to follow.
We can all appreciate.
After that I am sure there will be many of these planes flying.
wingspan100 is offline Find More Posts by wingspan100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I really like this video:
Old Jul 08, 2014, 11:52 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,857 Posts
Big C-47 Foam RC Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan100 View Post
Please build another one with a proper step by step build thread for us to follow. We can all appreciate. After that I am sure there will be many of these planes flying.
You are probably right about others needing more pictures and guidance to do a copy. At the moment I am trying to remember who else built on of these that might have more pictures to look at.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Jul 09, 2014, 06:39 AM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,346 Posts
It seems this was built using a Fiddlers Green paper/card model. I guess most any card model would do. I also recall some blog posts that this is how the US air pilot who goes by Neffwaffe builds those amazing airliner models.
So if we don't get anymore details on this particular airplane, it would be nice to see a general build article/thread for any large airplane on how to scale these card models up and make a foam model.
I there anything special about scaling up the model and using the skins as templates to make the new upscaled skins? And how to ensure you get zero gap seams on the sheet skins?
After all the fitting do you still need to use any filler?
What do you do about fuselage formers? Especially if they are not part of the paper models - taking some from another 3-view may not match the skins. Is there any "science" to where you might need thicker foam or some lite ply strengthening in the design, without making it too heavy?
How about the wings - picking airfoil if you want more than a flat plate or KF airfoil? I've seen some done with undercambered wings - I think the B-17 by Rabidmodels is built this was (very nice assembled model buy very expensive too).
I don't think there would be too many big obstacles, but I am guessing that these few things ought to take away any excuses for people who aren't sure where to start in building their own.
So if someone can summarize how they do this with some photo examples of key steps that would help a lot of us who would like to build one of these. And then it needs to be made into a sticky here. And maybe even have AMA or Flying Models make it into a magazine article.
jonquinn is online now Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Jul 09, 2014, 06:58 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,765 Posts
I built a 92" Beechcraft Starship from Depron and I didn't make the structure stiff enough. Directionally, the plane had a mind of it's own. So, what I learnt was: make sure everything is rigid.

I have since learnt that bigger planes can take higher wing loadings, 30 or 40oz per sq ft are perfectly acceptable. So, keeping it light is less of an issue than keeping it rigid.

It might be worth looking up some links to WBPU and fibreglass, basically the same technique as pioneered by Hoby to make surfboards, and Burt Rutan at Scaled Composites.

Old Jul 09, 2014, 11:33 AM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,559 Posts
8-Foot B-17 Using Fiddlers Green Plans

My good friend, Reegan May, built an 8-foot B-17 in much the same way I built the C-47. I opted for bulkheads in the fuselage; he didn't. Here's his build thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=8+Foot+B+17

Gary
Old Jul 18, 2014, 03:24 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,857 Posts
Big C-47 10 foot Wingspan Indoor RC Model

There are more than a few builder/pilots that have used enlarged scale paper airplane plans to build an enlarged RC version. The result is often called a thin foam shell park flyer since scale paper airplane models are thin card stock skins with very little internal structure. Many of the paper models don't require internal structure, but experienced paper model builders tend to include some so the main wings don't sag over time. It is often desirable for the main wing to have an airfoil, which often means adding a spar in the best location. This is also often the case with thin foam skin RC versions.

I find it very easy to first build a build-over plug, or frame to wrap strips of foam around to make what I call fuselage rib rings that are kept in place by friction. The fuselage skin panels are glued to the rib rings. Later the build-over device can be removed and the thin foam will duplicate the shape in the thin foam fuselage scheme. The result is a very lightweight fuselage with rib rings inside that adds stiffness to the model. You can read more about this construction process and others in my blog. Just click on my avatar.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah