HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:00 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
I think why I like the inverted 45 degree up line is I get a better view of the arc of the plane if she is indeed nose heavy as well as not being as sensitive to motor thrust, like inverted level flight.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:24 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Well I'm up bright an early this morning and I wanna wish Snowdogm K49 alias Lt Dan an all the rest of you travelers a safe trip

I'm hoping to put in a pre thanksgiving day fly day.I did some work on my buddy Jim's astro hog. I had to repair the landing gear blocks. The poor plane has been setting for 4 years now
How many of you have a plane more than 2 years since it's last flight, and in some need of crash repair.
I have one that I havn't flown since 2007 a Dymond Tiger Moth, But my oldest is either 1996 or 95. I'm leaning towards 1995 It's a sig astro hog that I got from my dad. Hangar rash has been hard on her.
But it's always great remaiden an old resurrected plane.
That is if you don't crash it . LOL
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:02 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post

Je sius comprende mon amis

Beau coup de twist

Lol
OK, he said:

I understand my friend.

Many twist

Laugh out loud
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:17 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
I think why I like the inverted 45 degree up line is I get a better view of the arc of the plane if she is indeed nose heavy as well as not being as sensitive to motor thrust, like inverted level flight.
I think the sequence you tune things is also important. I look at thrust when I get the CG in the ball park and then retest CG. In fact, I am always thinking about CG I guess. I don't have to see an arc when I fly inverted because I am judging based on down elevator pressure. So if there is an engine incidence problem it could affect it but I also do the inverted about 1/4 to 1/3 speed. This reduces some of the effect of the engine. When I need just a touch of down elevator, I start looking at anything else.

I am not a precision pilot so I don't do a lot of the trimming on most of my planes that I did on my 50cc Yak. I will be paying a lot of attention to the Extra if I ever get it started.

CG and lateral balance are the two main things I try to get right.

I usually don't like the recommended CG on ARFs. I wonder if you guys think the same way. They always seem to be pig heavy in the nose. When I balance one, I am always thinking about what am I going to do to move the CG back (without adding lead of course). We just pre-balanced the Big Stik 60 at 4" and the battery has to be behind the wing bolts. I am going to suggest we cut a bottom hatch in it today.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:18 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Hey DR! you are missing some serious technobabble.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:22 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
I'll give that a try wayne .
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:48 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
All in all I got two five minute flights before dark.
Nice flight report kerwin even if it was only for 10 minutes it was worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
The big stick 60 build is close. One problem is the bracket for the HSN is broken. I am trying JB Weld.
If we had beveled the wings for the ailerons and had a bigger power plant, this would be the Big Stik 60 I always wanted.

Took a break at lunch and maidened a little electric DR VII for a club member. It is a little under powered but we got it up for about 4-5 min and landed on the wheels - cross runway because of the wind. I call that success.
I tried JB weld On one of mine and its holding just find with a rubber band since the JB weld let go twice LOL I might have not had it cleaned enough or something but after 2 attempts I rubber banded it on top of the fuse cheek lol
I love the Stick series they all fly awesome and as a matter of fact it is my Ultra Stick with the evolution 61 engine that has the rubber banded LSN holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Waldo, every year I think you are going to make those pies available for shipping to Twistaholics everywhere!! I'd buy one!
I'll have to ask them but I think they are LOL Maybe not, well we finished early this year over 200 pies and 4 or 5 cakes By 11:30 last night we were in clean up mode, one of the bakers said I remember last year at this time I was sitting in a chair crying Knowing they still had over 30 cream pies to make and they just stayed there all night LOL Well we had all the doughs rolled by 6 and we had 3 of us just mixing the creams, the others were putting together all the berry pies, all the cream pies are hand mixed from scratch and take about 15-20 minutes per pie to make the filling,when we asked why we couldn't just use an electric mixer instead of a whisk because our hands and arms were going to fall off from whisking for 4 hours, the Pie Squared quenn said "Because I said So" with a big smile on her face lol but this is why her pies are so dang mouth watering, so no arguments there LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post

Je sius comprende mon amis

Beau coup de twist

Lol
LOL Wayne you just beet me to the answer LOL

Nate can you make a vacuum box and make your own canopy? I have a link of a very simple one to make and I know there are other ones out there also.

Heres some pics of the bakery madness last evening LOL
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:37 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
All I can say Waldo is if I was there. There'd be a few less pies. I spy with my little eye one less of waldo's pies.

Well I went flying again this morning with the Little MX The winds at ground level were out of the south at 5 mph or so.
Not wanting to fly into the sun I launched my little foamie down wind to the north. I launched her WOT in a 45 degree plus angle. She gained 20 ft very quickly but by the 30 ft mark she was being carried down wind very quickly.
Turning her around into the wind she gain another 30 so foot and the winds were much stronger.
I had to dive in a 45 degree downline to get her back down to the 10, 15 ft mark.
This little plane always hovers better in the wind. I had a blast just putting her in a hover and watch her drift with the wind.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:39 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I think the sequence you tune things is also important. I look at thrust when I get the CG in the ball park and then retest CG. In fact, I am always thinking about CG I guess. I don't have to see an arc when I fly inverted because I am judging based on down elevator pressure. So if there is an engine incidence problem it could affect it but I also do the inverted about 1/4 to 1/3 speed. This reduces some of the effect of the engine. When I need just a touch of down elevator, I start looking at anything else.
2 tests for thrust line... Full throttle level flight LOW and when the plane is infront of you, chop the throttle. If the plane climbs, too much down thrust, if it dips, too much up thrust... Testing this inverted at 8 foot off the deck has some pucker factor.

Vertical climb is another, unload that wings and see what it does.

ARF recommended CG is just that, if its in that area is should be managable to start, after that it is up to the pilot to sort it out. If the US World Champ says do it with the wing fully loaded, I am not going to argue, and maybe the 45 upline give the same results, but who am I to argue with Jesky.

None of us may ever be a precision pilot, but with a little work, we should not have to fight a plane that can make us look better, if set up right.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:55 AM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Ready to Start

The PT 19 wing rebuild. I was able to get plans but not actual size templates. Was able to get the manual which had an 8X10 sheet of the templates to scale. So I measured the number one Rib length, which measured 16 inches.
friend of mine had a plotter, so we blew up the 8X10 sheet until the number one RIB measured 17 inches, and printed the entire sheet twice. Looks great, so now I should be able to cut the ribs out to the size they are supposed to be. should be flying it again in no time!!!!
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post

I'll have to ask them but I think they are LOL Maybe not, well we finished early this year over 200 pies and 4 or 5 cakes By 11:30 last night we were in clean up mode, one of the bakers said I remember last year at this time I was sitting in a chair crying Knowing they still had over 30 cream pies to make and they just stayed there all night LOL Well we had all the doughs rolled by 6 and we had 3 of us just mixing the creams, the others were putting together all the berry pies, all the cream pies are hand mixed from scratch and take about 15-20 minutes per pie to make the filling,when we asked why we couldn't just use an electric mixer instead of a whisk because our hands and arms were going to fall off from whisking for 4 hours, the Pie Squared quenn said "Because I said So" with a big smile on her face lol but this is why her pies are so dang mouth watering, so no arguments there LOL

Heres some pics of the bakery madness last evening LOL
Yumm! Good looking pies Waldo.

Q: How do you fit a square pie in a round hole?
A: Yep, you guessed it...one bite at a time!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,363 Posts
Kerwin.....you're the only one flying! Wow!
DOG.........Who is this Jesky guy? First I've heard of him....course I don't pay any attention to the organized aspects of this hobby anyway......so that might explain it!
Waldo, you're a good egg for helping out the family......
Bonjour David22.....Comment allez-vous? Ja vais bein, merci. Quel temps fait-il aujourd'hui?Allez-vous prendre l'avion aujourd'hui? J'espère, mais j'ai tellement de choses à faire. Quoi qu'il en soit ... Je dois y aller .... bonne journée.
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:01 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
DOG.........Who is this Jesky guy? First I've heard of him....course I don't pay any attention to the organized aspects of this hobby anyway......so that might explain it!
Bonjour David22.....Comment allez-vous? Ja vais bein, merci. Quel temps fait-il aujourd'hui?Allez-vous prendre l'avion aujourd'hui? J'espère, mais j'ai tellement de choses à faire. Quoi qu'il en soit ... Je dois y aller .... bonne journée.
Andrew is arguably one of the best pattern/IMAC/3D pilots in the US. He is also a member of the US F3A team. In addition to his piloting skills, he has developed some of the most successful airframe designs that 3DHS produces, including the "A. J. Slick" airframe.

http://andrewjesky.weebly.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=andr...MfwI-OjyAGa9gE

Andrew Jesky Saturday at AEF 2012 (6 min 1 sec)
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Designer of the AJ Slick and the Osiris
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...championships/
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,363 Posts
I have assembled the old loom ,purchased recently, and have taught myself to weave rugs these past few weeks so that I may then teach/encourage my daughter to learn by doing rather than giving up in frustration.....the curse of having a debilitating learning disorder. At 25, she's watching her brothers and sister make a way for themselves in the world and it's a daily struggle to keep her from becoming more and more withdrawn. I'm hoping this will aid in building her sense of self worth.
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman