HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2009, 02:50 AM
USA, TX, Dalworthington Gardens
Joined Aug 2007
25 Posts
Discussion
Getting back in the hobby...Which way do I go?

Ok Guys and Gals I got my radio now I am going to build a plane and then I need to power it... SOOOOOOO I am here to figure that part out...this I hope will help me decide what weight I will be toteing around. I have a huge fear of Lipos I have seen just what can happen with them and I really want no part of it...so with that said what are my choices and where can I get them inexpencevly and chargers as well since I have nothing at the moment....

I am looking either a NiMh or 123A possibly unless yall can point me in a new direction.. Most Likely will be a slow stick plane as I can reapir that easy enough and yes I do expect to crash a <ahem> few times.
oimmuk is offline Find More Posts by oimmuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2009, 09:52 AM
Bob
Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2005
252 Posts
oimmuk,

I believe lipos have so many advantages that I'd encourage you to consider again. I don't think RC lipos of the last couple of years have had any troubles. I've crashed, dented, cut through, dunked in water, and left on the charger overnight (forgot) many times and never a problem. (That last sentence sounds like a guy I wouldn't take advice from! But I have a dozen batteries, and have flown a lot of new ways lately, like thermal, slope, waterplane, so have had new opportunities to "learn".)

Second choice would be 123A.
4444 is offline Find More Posts by 4444
Old Jun 02, 2009, 10:10 AM
My Bulldog is my copilot ..
Joined Feb 2004
2,263 Posts
In no particular order..

cheapbatterypacks.com
maxamps.com
battlepack.com

I have always received amazing service from those vendors. The all will have the items your looking for.

IMHO.. There are no SAFE batteries. If you're only getting one plane I would say get two lipos of the same size, a good quality (but not too expensive) charger and have fun.

~Brian
TheLost is offline Find More Posts by TheLost
Old Jun 02, 2009, 10:12 AM
USA, TX, Dalworthington Gardens
Joined Aug 2007
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444
oimmuk,

I believe lipos have so many advantages that I'd encourage you to consider again. I don't think RC lipos of the last couple of years have had any troubles. I've crashed, dented, cut through, dunked in water, and left on the charger overnight (forgot) many times and never a problem. (That last sentence sounds like a guy I wouldn't take advice from! But I have a dozen batteries, and have flown a lot of new ways lately, like thermal, slope, waterplane, so have had new opportunities to "learn".)

Second choice would be 123A.
I too have read many good things about them, but the RC market is imho a place where the seedy gets mixed in with the good and you oft times cant tell the difference till it is too late. I also am not liking the short lifespan of lipos versus other choices.

I am even looking at RCR123A batteries they run about 4 to 5 dollors per and are rechargable like the 123A used in the power deills and such, are readily available and can be sleeved in plastic tubes to make sticks; I would just have to dissasemble the sticks or packs each flight, which is something I dont mind, time is not a premium here.
oimmuk is offline Find More Posts by oimmuk
Old Jun 02, 2009, 10:39 AM
My Bulldog is my copilot ..
Joined Feb 2004
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oimmuk
I too have read many good things about them, but the RC market is imho a place where the seedy gets mixed in with the good and you oft times cant tell the difference till it is too late. I also am not liking the short lifespan of lipos versus other choices.

I am even looking at RCR123A batteries they run about 4 to 5 dollors per and are rechargable like the 123A used in the power deills and such, are readily available and can be sleeved in plastic tubes to make sticks; I would just have to dissasemble the sticks or packs each flight, which is something I dont mind, time is not a premium here.
I think you'll find the weight heavy and the performance lacking.
TheLost is offline Find More Posts by TheLost