Old Apr 30, 2015, 06:24 PM
Find More Posts by Sculptor
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
If you want really effective ailerons, leave the undersized faux ailerons alone, remove all of the dehidral and add strip ailerons to the trailing edge

Those planes are absolutely beautiful and your wing arrangement seems to be to wings glued together.

Since we are building these planes as trainer planes for hopeful future pilots. We must keep them at a baseline that they can actually achieve. Cutting out ailerons, mounting servos and getting the CG right. Later whenever they become an aficionado of the slow stick they'll do everything you're suggesting. But not now.

DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2015, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by phoam
KE your SS
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,407 Posts
Right, those two would be terrible planes for beginners.

The red one's wings are just taped shut, comprised of two wing sets for a symmetrical airfoil. The other has the center wing hinge sectioned out, with the standard undercamber airfoil and bottom side fiberglassed.
phoam is online now Find More Posts by phoam
Old May 01, 2015, 07:26 PM
Find More Posts by Sculptor
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
Right, those two would be terrible planes for beginners.

The red one's wings are just taped shut, comprised of two wing sets for a symmetrical airfoil. The other has the center wing hinge sectioned out, with the standard undercamber airfoil and bottom side fiberglassed.
Rick, have you made any videos of these planes flying? Does putting two wings together and making them symmetrical change the flying characteristics very much and the 'V' tail one. How does it fly differently.

I know that's a lot to ask for but I'm very excited about what you made and how it might fly. I would love to show up at my airfield was something like that but one. I must be able to fly it and secondly I must be able to fly it.

Your planes would be. What my flight instructor and myself would want to build for ourselves just for the fun of it.

DJ... Kamikaze ace...." He wares no helmet!"
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old May 01, 2015, 08:05 PM
Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,430 Posts
Good news! The SportSTIK will be in production this month (May 2015) now updated from V2 to V3. The SportSTIK was removed from production last fall for design changes and to let inventory clear at our dealers. The latest offering can be built in both extended and clipped wing variants from the same kit. This essentially covers the ground that both the Sport and SoarSTIK occupied and the new platform is better suited to the brushless / lipo solutions on the market today.

As a side note, our SoarSTIK will be re-introduced later this year as a full 2M RES soaring offering with balsa equipment podů essentially it only makes use of the 10mm square fuselage boom from GWS.

-Bill
Stevens AeroModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddogxxx View Post
Just bought two of the Slowsticks from HeadsUP for my kids birthdays..(Both are in May).. Going to see how much interest they have if they have their own planes to muck about with...Hopefully I'll have time to go back through this thread and see what kind of nuggets of info I can find to share with them! I also hope that StevensAero puts their sport wing back into production for the GWS! I love their stuff!

Ddog

Ddog
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old May 01, 2015, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by phoam
KE your SS
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Rick, have you made any videos of these planes flying? Does putting two wings together and making them symmetrical change the flying characteristics very much and the 'V' tail one. How does it fly differently.

I know that's a lot to ask for but I'm very excited about what you made and how it might fly. I would love to show up at my airfield was something like that but one. I must be able to fly it and secondly I must be able to fly it.

Your planes would be. What my flight instructor and myself would want to build for ourselves just for the fun of it.

DJ... Kamikaze ace...." He wares no helmet!"
Hi DJ.

Sorry, I've not made any videos of them flying. In fact I've not made any videos of anything. And I'm embarrassed to say that the blue one hasn't even seen a maiden flight yet. That was about the time my DX7 crapped out. When my new DX9 arrived I had already lost focus of it as I was distracted with other new planes. So it has just been hanging from my rafters waiting on standby.

I'll hafta re-program it in the new radio and learn how to setup a v-tail again. I have not flown a Slow Stick with a v-tail so can't really say how it will fly, but there is at least one video on YouTube of somebody flying their SS with a v-tail and it did well. It's just a stock elevator/hor stab cut in half with a v-notch near the fuse and the outer tips trimmed a bit. The wooden v-tail mount is from Radical RC.

It's also my first trike gear on a Slow Stick.

I also have another wing for it set up with dihedral and 3-channel.

The red one flies entirely different than a typical SS. The airfoil cuts though turbulence heaps better and still lands like a pussycat with its thick chord. Aileron rolls are incredibly quick and almost a blur using only a pair of 9g servos. The ails are made of 2" balsa aileron stock found at most hobby shops. They're just taped to the trailing edge with Blenderm. The blue one's ailerons are made from 6mm Depron fiberglassed on either side.
Old May 01, 2015, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by phoam
KE your SS
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,407 Posts
Looking forward to the new SportSTIK, Bill. And maybe the SoarSTIK
Old May 02, 2015, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by Ddogxxx
crash test dummy
Joined Jun 2013
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens AeroModel View Post
Good news! The SportSTIK will be in production this month (May 2015) now updated from V2 to V3. The SportSTIK was removed from production last fall for design changes and to let inventory clear at our dealers. The latest offering can be built in both extended and clipped wing variants from the same kit. This essentially covers the ground that both the Sport and SoarSTIK occupied and the new platform is better suited to the brushless / lipo solutions on the market today.

As a side note, our SoarSTIK will be re-introduced later this year as a full 2M RES soaring offering with balsa equipment podů essentially it only makes use of the 10mm square fuselage boom from GWS.

-Bill
Stevens AeroModel
That is great news! I figure that by the time the original foam wings become a mosaic of tape and glue, I'll be ready to help them build one of your kits. I am looking forward to this fall and I can plck out one of your sportier offerings now that the fullhouse 500 and I are getting along fine now. Not trying to be a pitch person for Bill but I am surprised he didnt mention his new quarterly magazine.

Ddog
Ddogxxx is offline Find More Posts by Ddogxxx