HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:12 PM
columbia, sc
Joined Jan 2007
315 Posts
Discussion
Columbia, SC Parkflying?

Hey folks, I normally fly at the soccer park across from LB Hamilton-Owens Airport but have seen people flying out at the Clemson Extension site across from the Village at Sandhills. What is required to fly there...AMA, Club membership? I don't want to just show up and be a "spode" about it. Was wondering if anyone knows, or perhaps I'll keep riding by and catching someone flying there to ask them!
circletree is offline Find More Posts by circletree
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,089 Posts
The field across from Sandhills is just a public area. I have only been there once but was told that lots of people fly there mostly on Thurs Fri Sat and Sun and have been doing so for years and the Clemson people have allowed them to. There is no club and no AMA requirement, just show up and be respectful to others. Would love to meet another flyer out there sometime, just PM me. I also have a soccer park near me in Dutch Fork. I guess you live in Downtown or Cayce if you are at Owens airport. Also, flying anything near an airport might be asking for trouble. I am going to start flying at Congaree flyers in Gaston, a nice club for planes and helis and they could use new members it seems. I have already joined the AMA, but not any clubs yet. Send me a PM! Lets's get a Columbia Metro area group going, any close RCG members post here!
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:45 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
I'm relatively new to the hobby, but also located in Columbia. Some guys at a local hobby shop pointed me towards the Jackson Flyers. I have yet to contact them, but it looks like they actually fly at Fort Jackson (exit 12 off 77).

p.s. Sorry if I am resurrecting a dead thread, but it's only a few months old!
drago3711 is offline Find More Posts by drago3711
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,089 Posts
Not dead at all, just not a lot of people here. I met a couple guys from Jackson Flyers at a recent fly in at the club I just joined. I fly with Congaree Flyers in Gaston. What part of town do you live in?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
I'm in the northeast corner, not too far from Providence Hospital Northeast. I had not considered the Congaree Flyers because I assumed it was too far away, but now that I actually look it's only about 30 min.
drago3711 is offline Find More Posts by drago3711
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,089 Posts
Yeah, I drive 45 minutes to get there from Irmo. Far, but it's worth it. 30 mins is nothing. Great bunch of guys.

http://congareeflyer.com/
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, SC, Chapin
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Want a flying club

Just moved here and have been flying and building for 30 years. Looking for a club near Chapin, SC. Any help is appreciated.
Simjack is offline Find More Posts by Simjack
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:34 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,089 Posts
I am in Irmo. Sorry to inform you that we live on the wrong side of town for this hobby. There is a club In Leesville which is way south, around the lake, another in Fort Jackson, and the club I belong to in Gaston, which is a 45 minute drive from Irmo. It's a long drive but it's worth it. I am a member of Congaree Flyers and we have a big grass field in a quiet place out of town. There is also a large field accross from Sandhills shopping center (NE part of town) that is owned by Clemson University and many people fly there. There is a small public park near my house where I sometimes fly small planes or helis at when it is not being used by soccer players, but that is all I have found. I have it as well as some other locations marked on the map section of this site, so check that out. I am REALLY interested in finding somewhere to fly close by so let me know if you find anything else. If you are interested in coming out to the field in Gaston sometime, let me know and I will put you in touch with one of the officers, AMA membership is required.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Apr 2011
14 Posts
My father and I fly at the soccer field across from Owens Field Airport every week. We have been out there almost every week for the last 2 years. Not as much room as I would like but it's close to my house. I fly a Jpower P-38 with a 55" Wingspan so it's plenty of room for most park flyers. We have a few Durafly models and a few Parkzone ones also. Hope to see some of you guys there. We are normally there around 7am in the morning.
SpiderMine is offline Find More Posts by SpiderMine
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:37 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,089 Posts
I would join you there but I am never free at 7am on any day. I've been to that park. A little tight for my skill level. The Ballentine soccer fields on Bickley and Bird Rd is the closest I have found to Chapin and Irmo. Very interested in any alternatives, and maybe something paved for jets in the future.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=34.12910...olina&t=m&z=15
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I am in Irmo. Sorry to inform you that we live on the wrong side of town for this hobby. There is a club In Leesville which is way south, around the lake, another in Fort Jackson, and the club I belong to in Gaston, which is a 45 minute drive from Irmo. It's a long drive but it's worth it. I am a member of Congaree Flyers and we have a big grass field in a quiet place out of town. There is also a large field accross from Sandhills shopping center (NE part of town) that is owned by Clemson University and many people fly there. There is a small public park near my house where I sometimes fly small planes or helis at when it is not being used by soccer players, but that is all I have found. I have it as well as some other locations marked on the map section of this site, so check that out. I am REALLY interested in finding somewhere to fly close by so let me know if you find anything else. If you are interested in coming out to the field in Gaston sometime, let me know and I will put you in touch with one of the officers, AMA membership is required.
Thanks, I will be looking for a place in this area to lease or buy ......by next year we may be in business.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:46 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simjack View Post
Thanks, I will be looking for a place in this area to lease or buy ......by next year we may be in business.
Do you mean in the RC business? Or something else? The only thing on this side of town is at the Plex indoor sports center at the peak exit which now has an indoor dirt car track and a small car hobby shop inside with mostly Traxxas stuff. It's like a mile from my house but I have not been there yet. I have been meaning to take my son there to run our cars a bit. Do you have any kids? I have a 8 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. I have only been in this area for a few years myself and don't know many people.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
RC Field

I am wanting to start a flying club in the Chapin/Irmo area. Probably will be next year before I can get some funds together to either buy or lease some property. We will stay in touch.

I belonged to one of the largest clubs in Atlanta but we were always leasing land that didn't work out well.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:05 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,426 Posts
I'm here...
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts