HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2008, 06:11 PM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
did great huk_king i see 8 great looking shots of your build looking forward to more....joe
desron48 is offline Find More Posts by desron48
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2008, 06:16 PM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHunter
This is bad ass model ship material

Will be following the progress
thanks silent this is just the master for a fiberglass mould may be awile till i complete this ship....i've got about 5 other patterns in the works.....i should have the perry hull moulded by late sept. ...joe
Old Sep 07, 2008, 07:16 PM
Sweeper Nut
Northridge So. Cal
Joined Apr 2007
624 Posts
Looks fantastic Gordon..makes me want to start detailing out my gearing.
Mike McCrea is offline Find More Posts by Mike McCrea
Old Sep 07, 2008, 07:39 PM
Cmdr. Reid 48th Fleet
SoCal
Joined Jul 2007
698 Posts
man we never did do that build day... where we could finish up all our ships ... o well... there is still more time...
Reid is online now Find More Posts by Reid
Old Jan 06, 2009, 04:16 PM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
update.....the mold is about finished......joe
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:36 PM
Tygum Lagoon Terror
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,458 Posts
I know I was interested in this hull, (but I'm fairly distant) I have recently acquired a timber hull nearly ready for glassing. I'm interested in getting some of the detail parts now.

Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:52 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,730 Posts
HEY Joe many years ago I did the FFG 41 even got a tour on it when she came into Portland last year but that was my second tour on it for it came in the fist time in about 1990' during fleet week both times.

I did one in my own scale 196 when I was building . Then had it on display at hobbie shop and it ended up getting sold a few days later . I had regets on letting that one go. I had allways said i would redo another one some day .? But I dont so any more. I will see if I can come up with some pictures of it it was completaly scratch but that is how most of the ships were built I would do my own hull like you and glass them in resion and build the rest but you have seen my work when i was building.
in a couple of years she will be retired along with some of the others FFGs. I heard that from out tour guide that day so I concider myself lucky to do it befor she got retired. To bad I did not have any pictures with me that day to show to the tour guide . May have been fun?
Don
Rustbucket is offline Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old May 16, 2012, 04:06 AM
Tygum Lagoon Terror
Joined Mar 2007
3,458 Posts
Here are some photos, bit dark of progress so far.

I've just ordered a CNC Models LLC superstructure kit from Charles I wont have it for a few weeks as its a one off.

Cheers
Nick
Old Jun 09, 2012, 05:09 AM
Tygum Lagoon Terror
Joined Mar 2007
3,458 Posts
Small Update, built up all the Fwd Bulwarks and anchor winch control deflector

Nick
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:42 AM
Tygum Lagoon Terror
Joined Mar 2007
3,458 Posts
More deck details being added, I cut the anchor recess in the wrong place, had to move it fwd about 30 mm, so I decided to make a full recess to house a complete anchor. Also the Mk13 launcher has been trial fitted, and the 8 cell VLS has been partially mocked up.

Nick
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:41 AM
Tygum Lagoon Terror
Joined Mar 2007
3,458 Posts
Shapeways fairlead

http://www.shapeways.com/model/606229/?materialId=6

Learning 123D from autodesk so I've produced a simple fair-lead to see how much it costs, cheap enough exept for the shipping to the land down under
I dont think I will be ordering it.

Nick
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,380 Posts
Nick there is no one who does 30d printing closer than that? Here is one thing on my 'I want list' a new makerbot. http://store.makerbot.com/replicator-404.html for that price if you could make enough parts for other people (and other things) it could pay for itself. There is a website called kickstarter for people trying to make things (and businesses) that are small scale startups, there have been a number of kickstarter projects for 3-d/rep-rap style printers to pay for them by making parts for others.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:21 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,345 Posts
Just get one made then cast the rest your self out of resin??

Bruce
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:45 AM
Tygum Lagoon Terror
Joined Mar 2007
3,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCruser9 View Post
Just get one made then cast the rest your self out of resin??

Bruce
Price is $1.92 ea and $19.99 shipping, thought about that, need about 30 from memory, still cant justify it for what amounts to something that would fit in an envelope.

I was actually thinking about other components as well, the fairlead was a first stab at 3D modelling.

Never done resin casting before, just looked on Ebay, about $50 for 1Kg of moulding rubber and about $30 for resin.

Nick

Nick
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:05 AM
Tygum Lagoon Terror
Joined Mar 2007
3,458 Posts
I'm working on the details of the actuating arms for the stabilizers, I've made 2 control arms and started on 2 bell cranks which will have Ball bearings in them. They are going to be slaved off the rudder servo but may consider some sort of active device.

Edit I think I may be able to skip the bell cranks

I'm jumping around a bit working on getting the hull to a point where I can float her, to the basic portion of the stabilisers are done, Im Reworking the keel to bring it out to the correct profile. I reprofiled it in polyurethane foam and will get some glass and resin on it the next couple of days. I intend to cut out the majority of the interior keel once sufficient strength is built into the new keel section. The photos are a problem in that by the time Ive made progress on something its dark

Cheers
Nick