HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2006, 10:43 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,579 Posts
Discussion
New member with a question

I discovered this site while looking around another site at slopeflyer.com I've been into park flyers the past two years and I wanted to look into gliders, please excuse the term as I am a rookie to this type of flying. Like everything else there is a whole new "lingo" that I am so unfamiliar I was looking for some help. I didn't know there are gliders, slope soaring, dynamic soaring, soaring and I'm sure other categories of powerless flight. Living in southern California I do have access to "slopes". What would you guys recommend for a first timer lookin' to get into this hobby? Guess I should inform you that I neither have time or especially the patience to build. I have 3 RTF electrics 'cause I just like to get 'em outta the box, charge 'em up and fly. I've been fortunate to have 0 crashes during my flights and I feel I understand aerodynamics (I think being an airline pilot helps me out in this part, but flying an R/C plane was harder then my first flight as a student pilot in a C-150 in my opinion!) And yes that means I have 3 radios to go along with my 3 planes (all HobbyZone/ParkZone planes), my wife still doesn't understand that one. Hangar 9 has an RTF "glider", but I'm lookin' at your birds and WOW they look sleek, fast and sharp! Any suggestions?! Thanks for your time.............
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2006, 11:02 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
There are quite a few ARFs available for both slope and thermal duration. For a "first" time sloper or thermal pilot with some flying experience, I would recommend going with one of the mid skill level aileron planes, with the caveat that you want to hook up with an experienced slope slope or thermal duration (TD) pilot to help with the setup & first few flights. The build techniques and radio setup are a bit different than what you might be used to.

Here are two vendors that have a some pretty good stuff to pick from, for beginners, all the way to very experienced.

http://www.soaringusa.com/cart/cart.php

http://nesail.com

Most sailplanes tend to be a bit more expensive than ARF electrics, mainly because the are built better, and even at the beginner level, tend to have 'glass fuselages, and either 'glass or sheeted foam core wings.

For slope, I'd figure on spending maybe $180-300 for a good mid-range and skill level plane. For TD, you can start with as low as $60 for a Gentle Lady ARF, on up to a few hundred for a good mid-range 2 meter with flaps & ailerons.

The best bet is to find the cltoses local glider club and start hanging out on flying days. You will pick up a lot of info, and maybe even find someone who is selling one of their used planes.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Sep 04, 2006, 11:10 AM
Slope Dog
The Gorge
Joined Mar 2002
794 Posts
Welcome to RCG. If you want to start sloping you've stumbled to the right place. Start with an EPP foam plane, most likely a flying wing and progress from there. The wings are meant for combat, so they are very bounce-able. If you don't want to build a plane there are guys on the forum that offer such services. I would contact King of the Hill. Send him a PM as he is down your way some where. Don't start with a stick built plane as they have a life expectancy of about 30 seconds if you are just starting to fly at the slope. THey are fine to learn thermal flying with and the use of a high start. Good luck and realize that this is the most addictive form of flying that you could have choosen to get involved with.
gorgeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gorgeflyer
Old Sep 04, 2006, 11:13 AM
Started with a Ringmaster
Long Beach
Joined Aug 2005
126 Posts
Welcome to R/C groups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut
Living in southern California I do have access to "slopes". What would you guys recommend for a first timer lookin' to get into this hobby? Guess I should inform you that I neither have time or especially the patience to build. Hangar 9 has an RTF "glider", but I'm lookin' at your birds and WOW they look sleek, fast and sharp! Any suggestions?! Thanks for your time.............
If you would like a out of the box type of plane I would say Multiplex Easy Star.You would have to but your own radio and install the reciver and charge it up check the CG and you should be good.One thing you have to remember here is that almost ALL the gliders here you have to built them.Learning how to build and repair your plane is a must for this type of flying.There are some really easy planes to build.You want a plane made out of EPP foam.Very hard to break and it will last alot longer than a bolsa built up type of plane.
If you do choose to buy a glider kit and buy a radio you should think that you will have a smalll amout of time invested in your plane.A simple EPP plane maybe 5 or 6 nights.Please remember the nature of slope planes is that landing are a lil bit harder due the all the unstable air that we land in.Yes crashing is part of slope flying.
No building: Easy Star
Building:Weasal Pro,Zagi,Wing Warrors

I'm sure alot of the other guys qill be all over them thread so please enjoy stay here.It's addicting

Ronnie
Ronnie! is offline Find More Posts by Ronnie!
Old Sep 04, 2006, 11:45 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
If you've already been flying (and landing) park flyers (assume you are flying with ailerons, correct?) successfully for 2 years without a single crash, then you could probably pick up just about anything especially if you enlist the help of a more experienced slope pilot for first flight and setup (this is always recommended).

If you don't want to take the time to build, I would suggest a Multiplex Easy Glider (receiver ready) which only requires some basic assembly like the Parkzone/Hobbyzone planes and no building as the servos and linkages are already pre-installed. It's a 3 channel (aileron, elevator, rudder) 71" sailplane made of a very durable molded material called Elapor.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/240102.asp

Then you just add a decent radio (transmitter and receiver) and a few other small items. The Hitec Optic 6 transmitter is a great value in a computer radio that will allow you to grow. It's on sale this weekend at Hobby People:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/755491.asp

And pickup a Hitec Electron 6 receiver also on sale this weekend:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/759134.asp

You will need 3 more items:

1) a rechargeable flight battery (preferably Nimh) which can also be obtained from Hobby People and used with your Hitec charger that comes with the Optic 6
2) a Hitec crystal for your Electron 6 receiver (any channel will do, as the Optic 6 has the synthesizer module which will allow you to set it on any channel).
3) A Hitec switch harness (for your plane) Ask the sales person for help with these 3 items.

That's everything you'll need to get in the air. Whatever you do, go to your local slope and ask for help from a more experienced flyer for the initial setup, maiden flight and trim out.

Good luck to you, and welcome to the addiction!

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 04, 2006, 11:55 AM
Circle Jockey
A Sasquatch took my plane! Tujunga. Ca.
Joined May 2004
2,412 Posts
An EPP flying wing is probably going to be the most durable slope trainer, they are very forgiving in the air and can absorb a lot of abuse and remain flyable. Slope soaring is very different from flying an electric park flyer in an open field. You have to deal with the wind coming up the hill that not only provides you with the lift necessary to keep you in the air but is also bouncing your plane around and trying to blow you back over the top of the hill. Many slopes (but not all) have small or non existent landing areas so getting your plane back on the ground usually involves a lot of crashing at first. Sometimes you end up just aiming for the softest looking nearby bush. It's not difficult, there is just more to deal with. It is really is a tremendous amount of fun as long as you have a bounceable plane and a slope flying friend or two to help get you going.

As far as plane selection goes, I would recommend that you decide where you are going to fly first. Different hills tend to favor different kinds of planes. If you are going to spend most of your time at a hill that usually has light lift you are going to want a light plane. Look at The PGR Slope Information Pages. There is a lot of good info there that can help you decide where you are going to be flying. If building is a problem another very good option is to look for a used ready to fly plane here on RCGs. People on this board will give you a ton of advice on where and what to fly in your area and will be glad to meet you at the slope to help get you going. I would suggest that you actually meet some local flyers first. Find out what they are flying and go with them to the hill and watch them fly before you get too overwhelmed with all of the wide range of suggestions you will read here. Local advice from the local flyers is always best.

Dean
D.S. is offline Find More Posts by D.S.
Old Sep 04, 2006, 01:38 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
If you have a radio with EPA and maybe dual rates I'd highly consider the Weasel Pro. You can have a great time learning to slope with it, and as your skills progress, you won't get tired of it. The instructions and support by Mr. Richter are super and they take a serious beating before needing retirement. Plus they don't cost a bundle. Check out: http://www.dream-flight.com/
Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Sep 04, 2006, 02:49 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
22,669 Posts
wind rider

Welcome to the best hobby in the world . Ming of wind rider who frequents these boards has a huge range of product that would be suitable for you some minor assembly required but tons of fun and made from moulded EPP
(expanded ploy propylene ) which is near indestructable so well suited to those first bounceeeeeer I mean landings as an air line pilot you may enjoy aiming at one Of Mings A380's after of course first mastering slope flying with a chevron wing or perhaps a CSP eraser from New Zealand as convensional aircraft configuration. Ming's link is here http://www.windrider.com.hk/index.cfm
Canterbury Sailplanes here http://www.canterburysailplanes.co.nz/
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: done
Old Sep 04, 2006, 10:03 PM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut
...I've been fortunate to have 0 crashes during my flights...
Um... I don't think you're flying with enough Abandon®. There's nothing quite like the slope and a tough plane to make you Go For It!!

--Greg
Abandoned long ago.
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
Old Sep 04, 2006, 11:29 PM
SoCal
Joined May 2004
359 Posts
Check out Inland Slope Rebels website for more info. plus Rancho Cuc. is right out where they have their monthly meetings, Riverside area I believe. You are also close to an excellent slope called Cajon at Cajon Summit on the top of I15. Directions are on the ISR site.
Robb
av8soulfly is offline Find More Posts by av8soulfly
Old Sep 04, 2006, 11:31 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,579 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions and help, I'm sure I'll be getting back to you soon with some help once I pick a plane that'll suite my style! As well as a radio.... Does anyone own or like that Digital Spektrum radio DX6? Or does everyone stick with HiTech, Airtronics and Futaba? That's the last question! Thanks again, happy flying!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Sep 04, 2006, 11:42 PM
SoCal
Joined May 2004
359 Posts
Lots of personal opinion here. I have had bad luck with HiTech trans (although their rx are great), so I fly Airtronics Stylus.
Robb
av8soulfly is offline Find More Posts by av8soulfly