HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:54 PM
Joined Jan 2014
13 Posts
Discussion
OK what frequency should I get?

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a fpv system to start with and I'm not sure which frequency I should use. I have to consider obstacle penetration because one of the areas I want to fly in sits a low bowl surrounded by 4000 foot mountains. It is heavily forested. I think there's some significant radio activity, family radios and stuff around. What frequency should I consider? I'd like to be able to fly a few miles. Would the UHF be best or would the number of channels be limited? I'm getting a ham license. Thanks
xtratorque is offline Find More Posts by xtratorque
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:24 AM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
699 Posts
For penetration I would get something like a 1.2ghz FPV system with a high gain antenna such as a helical or a patch. For the UHF I would either get Dragon Link or EzUHF.

-Ben
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV49 V3 build log ( Kind of)
Old Feb 22, 2014, 03:24 PM
United States, MD, Stevensville
Joined Jun 2013
1,404 Posts
Start with what is your flight rc frequency? If 2.4, you are kinda stuck with your choices without some filters and additional setup.
Waterbound is offline Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2014, 08:59 PM
Joined Jan 2014
13 Posts
I'm going to be using a 2.4ghz Spektrum Dx8 DSMX.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 09:33 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,019 Posts
If you are using DSM2/2.4 don't use 1.2ghz. If your planning to get UHF you can.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TF to DOSD wiring.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:44 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtratorque View Post
I'm going to be using a 2.4ghz Spektrum Dx8 DSMX.
I'm using 2.4g with 1.2g Video with SAW filters in the Vrx and have no problems.
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:24 AM
Joined Jan 2014
13 Posts
What would be the most effective flight frequency for a forested area with lots of mountains around it. I've heard great things about the ezuhf system and the dragon link. Would a UHF flight system and a 5.8ghz video work well?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:58 AM
Joined Jul 2007
370 Posts
If you dont mind some programming with usb tools get the Open LRS system. Its what I am going to try. Purely for budget reasons and a few guys are having a good run with them.
mons2b is offline Find More Posts by mons2b
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:19 AM
Joined Jan 2014
13 Posts
How does this sound for a beginner. Stick with the Spektrum 2.4ghz system for the flight controls and use a 5.8ghz for the video. Would I be able to get a healthy mile or two with high gain antennas? Then as my skills improve move up to UHF? I'm very familiar with the area I'm in. I've flown over it many times in full size aircraft so finding my way around wouldn't be too hard I don't think.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:38 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,019 Posts
A lot of guys do start out with 5.8ghz. It is a pretty good freq, get a nice blue beam for the Vtx and a helical/crosshair for your goggles. Or even a set of bluebeams, cloverleaf and skewplannerwheel. Yes you may be able to squeeze a mile or so from the video, but not sure about your radio.

Don't make the mistake of jumping in and going for distance. Get to know your set up and you have to trust it. Fly LOS with a friend on the goggles at first, to make sure all is ok, then still fly LOS for awhile with a spotter, after you get comfortable with your surroundings, trust me is easy to watch videos all day long and think, hmm year that cool, looks easy...its a differant when you doing it...
With time you'll get out to some distance, distance is boring anyways and a longer walk..Proximity is where its at... lol

Have a watch. Might be a good idea to watch the entire series. He goes over a ton of info.

How to be successful in FPV part3 - The video system explained (0 min 0 sec)
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Feb 23, 2014 at 01:45 AM.