HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2013, 08:05 PM
United States, GA, Clarkesville
Joined Sep 2011
15 Posts
Discussion
Question on one best aid to flying

Like some advice for friend that has a large .90 powered helicopter and is scared to try to fly it for fear of wrecking it. My friend Ralph , had his own Bell 2 helicopter, real one and flew it for several years. He finally realized his age and sold it. However, the bug was still there . Many years ago he purchased a custom built helicoppter RC model. It is strictly fly by wire- no gyros or anyother flight assists.

My question .. Is there a good way to equip this large model with flight stabilizing electronics so Ralph would have a better chance of flying?

Finding a helicopter pilot experienced and willing to help is priority but there are things that can be done to modernize. Any help/suggestion appreciated.
habcores is offline Find More Posts by habcores
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2013, 04:25 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,024 Posts
http://www.servovision.com/HeliCommand.html
these have auto levelling and some kind of position hold .
have hem of rears and love them.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Dec 10, 2013, 07:03 PM
United States, GA, Clarkesville
Joined Sep 2011
15 Posts
One best flying aid

Thanks. Will look them up.
habcores is offline Find More Posts by habcores
Old Dec 22, 2013, 01:12 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,179 Posts
I think FMA used to make a stabilization devise that would suite your friends needs but not sure its available anymore. prolly best thing he could do is get some time on a simulator and put in some time so he gets a better idea of what to expect. also a decent gyro will help a lot and be sure and cut the ATVs back to around 50% to calm the cyclic down, other than that it just takes time and practice practice practice
lectroglide is online now Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Dec 23, 2013, 02:32 PM
Helicopter Pilot
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habcores View Post
Like some advice for friend that has a large .90 powered helicopter and is scared to try to fly it for fear of wrecking it. My friend Ralph , had his own Bell 2 helicopter, real one and flew it for several years. He finally realized his age and sold it. However, the bug was still there . Many years ago he purchased a custom built helicoppter RC model. It is strictly fly by wire- no gyros or anyother flight assists.

My question .. Is there a good way to equip this large model with flight stabilizing electronics so Ralph would have a better chance of flying?

Finding a helicopter pilot experienced and willing to help is priority but there are things that can be done to modernize. Any help/suggestion appreciated.
You were given two very good suggestions. The FMA Co-Pilot is still out there.

I'm more interested in a few pictures of this custom built helicopter than anything else. Can you provide some pictures of it? An overall picture with the canopy installed, and a few other pictures with the canopy removed?

Thanks in advanced.
Rafael
Rafael23cc is offline Find More Posts by Rafael23cc
Old Jan 01, 2014, 06:50 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,179 Posts
just seen a FMA training unit on fleabay
lectroglide is online now Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Jan 04, 2014, 12:11 PM
Houston, TX USA
Joined Nov 2000
447 Posts
Yes the Helicommand does have a save feature. I have one installed in my Whiplash Gasser helicopter. That said if this person is just learning to fly RC helicopters then that will not help. He will need to learn to hover first and there is nothing to help in that area other then a well set up machine with some training gear.

I would suggest a cheaper helicopter like a Blade MCPx BL to learn on or maybe a flight sim. Learning to fly RC helicopters you WILL crash it's just a matter of time.
Rudy Ackerman is offline Find More Posts by Rudy Ackerman
Old Apr 16, 2014, 06:37 AM
United States, MO, St Robert
Joined Jul 2004
523 Posts
Tell him to learn like most of us did. Get a small 6 channel helicopter like a blade mcpx or 130x or similar. Start with that learn to hover first then fly. Having real helicopter flight experience is not going to help much he's still going to have to start from scratch and learn to fly.
smoothb10 is online now Find More Posts by smoothb10
Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:22 PM
Registered Misuser
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Aviano
Joined Jan 2004
332 Posts
Maybe I missed something, but if your friend has (had?) the means to support a 1:1 scale helicopter, and gave it up due to his age, a 130x doesn't feel like a good call. For reasonable money, a 500 class electric from a local shop, with a self leveling flight stabilizer, set up to fly mild... is one realistic way to learn.

A custom setup machine that predates even tail gyros, is not going to be easily fixed in the inevitable training mishap.
Vince77 is offline Find More Posts by Vince77