HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:25 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
I got two Zippers late last year, one for my son for Christmas and one for me. We just painted them up yesterday. Mine is exactly like the paint scheme on the box. My son's is supposed to be sorta like the paint scheme on the BD5 in the James Bond film. His needs a bit more painting, and some touch up where paint lifted when masking tape. But, it's almost done.

We are going to use battery packs on the small side to keep the weight down. Hitec has recommended ThunderPower 3S 325mAh packs so that's what we are going with. I had initially thought about adding a rudder servo, but have decided against that to avoid adding weight. When Hitec comes out with the hop up motor we plan to get two of those.

I believe the motor that comes in the Zipper is very very similar to the EFlight Park 180, except the Park 180 has ball bearings. Even the prop adapter is virtually identical on the two motors. Horizon lists a 3x3 prop for this motor. I don't know if that's the ideal prop for that motor. But, the Zipper comes with a 3.8x5 prop, which has a P/D (pitch/diameter) ratio of 1.32. I've estimated the minimum flying speed for the Zipper (given its weight, wing area, and a coefficient of lift assumption) and get about 16mph. I think this plane has a fairly wide speed envelope and can fly slow, but also pretty fast. As has been noted above, one person is flying it with a GWS 5x3 prop (P/D ratio of 0.60). I don't know if that's too much prop for the motor, but with that P/D it would be suited for slower flying. The standard prop has a high P/D ratio and is suited for faster flying, and thus may require a harder throw to get it up to speed. I have some GWS 4.5x4 props (P/D ratio of 0.89) that I may try once we have flown the planes. I suspect that for this plane, given it's wing loading and min and max flying speeds that one may need to match the prop to each person's typical flying speed. If flown slower, then a lower P/D prop is probably better. If typically flown very fast, then probably a higher P/D (and smaller diameter) prop is probably best. I won't know for me till what makes more sense till I fly it, and try a few props.

We are looking forward to getting these in the air once we get a suitable flying day here in the the North East.
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Mar 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2014, 03:58 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
Are you using a 2 cell or 3-cell pack? And, what capacity? Just wondering.
3cell 500mah battery
Clive66 is offline Find More Posts by Clive66
Old Mar 27, 2014, 08:51 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
Thanks.
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:24 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Apr 2013
5 Posts
Hi all!
I have a Polecat; was my 3rd airplane and I am on my 3rd one, now discontinued. Been flying it a year and still like flying it, just a little too slow. I am looking for a little faster grass belly lander. I read the thread and was wondering how this thing does on 2 cell. I have 3 2-cell 610's and 3 2-cell 750's. I read that it requires a good toss (I got that, I have a Blaze/Radon-Z that you almost need a catapult for).
With 2-cell, I would think that (if they fit) weight should not be a prob.
Is it harder to get airborne on 2-cell?
On 2-cell, would it be a "small-park" flyer (I fly the polecat over an empty 1-acre lot)?
Many have said that this plane will fly slow, but how slow? Concern is with belly landing it.
Any more scoop on the maybe-pending motor upgrade?
I have 3-cell 750's coming (slow-boat from china), but maybe a little large/heavy for it.
Any direction/opinions would be appreciated.
Crasher
Ensign Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Crasher
Old Apr 01, 2014, 12:47 PM
Joined May 2011
275 Posts
I think it would be a total dog on a 2 cell.
It needs a good solid toss with the 3 cell to get it going.
It is easy to land.
Glides good & will end up landing further away then you want it when you start to flare.
Once you get used to the glide, it is easy to pinpoint a landing.
The 750mah battery may be a little big.
The 500mah 3cell i use fits perfect (all the way forward)
Old Apr 01, 2014, 01:36 PM
Joined Apr 2013
5 Posts
Thanks, Clive. I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info. Hoping someone has flown it 2-cell, but I had the feeling it would be a bit sluggish.
Whose 3-cell 500 do you use?
Old Apr 01, 2014, 01:52 PM
Joined May 2011
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Crasher View Post
Thanks, Clive. I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info. Hoping someone has flown it 2-cell, but I had the feeling it would be a bit sluggish.
Whose 3-cell 500 do you use?

This is the battery i use

http://www.headsuphobby.com/111v-500...tery-A-209.htm
Old Apr 01, 2014, 02:21 PM
Joined May 2011
275 Posts
A few days ago, a friend & myself had a mid-air with our Zippers.
Mine didn't sustain much damage (a couple of dents on the front of the left wing.
His got messed up pretty bad (tore off 1/2 of the vertical stab & broke the elevator.
Then it went in & bent the motor shaft.
I flew mine again with no problems.
He has put a stronger motor on it now & added a carbon fiber strip to the wing.
I flew it yesterday & it is scary fast.
Most the time i was on 1/2 throttle or less (too fast for this little plane)
For what the plane is, i will leave mine stock.
It is pretty quick stock & fun to fly.
If i want something faster, i will do as another guy mentioned here (I will buy the Moray from Value Hobby)
Old Apr 02, 2014, 06:49 PM
Joined Apr 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66 View Post
What kind of flight times do you get with the 500 3S?
Old Apr 02, 2014, 07:21 PM
Joined May 2011
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Crasher View Post
What kind of flight times do you get with the 500 3S?
I have the timer set at 5 minutes & i don't extend the flight much past that.
I do fly with a lot of throttle most ot the time.
Battery usually shows about 3.80 to 3.85 per cell after a flight.