HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2013, 02:16 AM
Gugie
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Sep 2004
103 Posts
Build Log
RC Aerodyne superscale 737 88" wingspan

Gang going to take Mike Fish's suggestion to start a build thread on this jet. You just need to remember that this is one of the first kits so a lot of the work that we're doing is going to be done by the factory so when Cliff starts selling these kits a lot of this work will have already been done. This build should give you some good insight as to how this early version of this jet was assembled.
I'll start with a picture of where I'm currently at with this jet. This gives you a good feel for just how big this thing is.

This is pretty much what we started with. At this point everything is just taped together in order for to get a feel for how the pieces fit together and to see what we were going to tackle first.

First challenge was fixing the nose gear. Cliff through some creative efforts was able to figure out how to mount the nose gear to operate in a scale manner. I'll talk more about this later as I had to do some other changes to be more scale like. With the main gear we realized that with the main gear compressed the engine nacelles were getting pretty close to the ground so we added a brass tubing shim to the lower wheel strut which limited the amount of compression the lower strut saw which allowed the nacelles to stay at a safe height when the main gear is compressed.

We also realized that the wing wooden gear mounts were not level so when the retract units were screwed to the mounts the main wheel struts were at an angle which did not let the two wheels sit flush on the ground. To fix this problem I mixed some epoxy and thickened it with West Systems filler, laid a layer on the wood mounts in the wing and then aligned the wheels with an aluminum rod and used toothpicks to align up the mounting holes with the holes in the wing mount. I put tape on the landing gear to keep the landing gear from being epoxied to the wing.

Next I show how we hooked up the flaps with hidden linkage
gugie is offline Find More Posts by gugie
Last edited by gugie; Jan 16, 2014 at 12:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2013, 03:17 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2011
275 Posts
Hi,

This 737 looks awesome keep the pic's coming.

1stfoot
1stfoot is offline Find More Posts by 1stfoot
Old Jul 12, 2013, 03:55 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
14,831 Posts
Your South west 737-800 looks amazing tom!

can't wait to see more!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:29 AM
Russian Federation, Mosk. oblast', Grigorchikovo
Joined Jul 2005
257 Posts
Subscribed.
mike_fish is offline Find More Posts by mike_fish
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:36 PM
Sittin' on my hands
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2005
185 Posts
Looks good, Gugie. Would love to see the aircraft in person. About the seams on the fuselage- can it be broken down for transport?
depronair is offline Find More Posts by depronair
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:56 PM
United States, FL, Tallahassee
Joined Aug 2011
24 Posts
Hi Guys
It breaks down nicely for transport . The wings come apart in 2 pieces and the fuselage also breaks down in front of the wing. Great model!

Dan
Geminijets is offline Find More Posts by Geminijets
Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:26 AM
Gugie
Joined Sep 2004
103 Posts
Guys,
Here's a picture of the plane broken down to all of its pieces.
That's if you want to spend the time to break it down this far. It breaks down very easily but I would imagine that the typical owner will only want to remove the outer wing panels and maybe the tail section when transporting.
The fuselage breaks into 3 pieces. Each piece is held together with 4 thumbscrews. The wing breaks into 3 sections. The center section of the wing attaches to the fuselage with 4 bolts and the two outer wing panels attach to the center section via the carbon fiber tubes with wing nuts in the center section. The nacelles attach by holes in the plywood mount in which the carbon fiber wing spar passes through.
If I was to do this over again I would figure out a different way of attaching the outer wing panels as the way I have this set up now you need to drop the center wing section in order to get the outer wing panels off.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 07:26 PM
United States, AL, Phenix City
Joined May 2013
133 Posts
Look at KFCs MD-87 update 27. The video shows computer connectors for the wing electrics and a wing lock that he designed.

MD-87 Update #27 (12 min 22 sec)

You have a fabulous looking airplane and quite a little cutie holding it.

Wish I could afford the kit.
PC Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PC Pilot
Last edited by PC Pilot; Jul 15, 2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 06:43 PM
Gugie
Joined Sep 2004
103 Posts
RC PILOT.... This video from Troy is AWESOME!!!!
This is exactly what I needed............
Was trying to figure out how to do the wiring and was going to live with servo connectors etc but Troy's idea is great.
As for the wing attachment.... This is the neatest thing since sliced bread...
Going to have to seriously think about doing this for the 737...
Big thanks to both you guys!!!!!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:50 PM
as the name says!
Barbados
Joined Sep 2012
409 Posts
is that the $1000 one?
don't see much for a 1000
dollars
AirplaneFreak100 is offline Find More Posts by AirplaneFreak100
Old Jul 15, 2013, 09:28 PM
United States, AL, Phenix City
Joined May 2013
133 Posts
Gugie, check out the other MD-87 updates. I am sure you will find several more useful ideas.

http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/md-87/view.html
PC Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PC Pilot
Old Jul 16, 2013, 04:59 PM
as the name says!
Barbados
Joined Sep 2012
409 Posts
.jk
AirplaneFreak100 is offline Find More Posts by AirplaneFreak100
Old Jan 04, 2014, 07:53 AM
Joined May 2010
178 Posts
Gugie good day Boeing mate,
Any new build going on your side with your SW B737 800 from RCA ....

Saw that Cliff (B737) got some new delivery in and are instock at his website ...
I have`nt called him befort xmas, so will have to get a line with him soon ...

Hope to see alote of pictures of your making buddy ,,,

Cheers and keep that build thread alive and well for all of us on here that are interested
in this particular size model scale replica aircraft.
A1TANGO is offline Find More Posts by A1TANGO
Old Jan 04, 2014, 09:34 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,805 Posts
Hey guys I wanted to throw my support your way. I've been out of the hobby for almost a year and missed the work you guys did but now as usual I'm back in dabbling again. I see some very good engineering being done in your kit design and planning. The field break down is key in making this size of an airplane attainable for most without trailers. I really like what you have done. Interested if you have been progressing in the kit making side of things and if you have some more photos of a flying example. Well done guys. PS, the MD-80 series work looks great!
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2014, 10:01 AM
Joined May 2010
178 Posts
For my part,
I would like to make it as a BBJ type class B737/800 if I dont change my mind ...

I know that Cliff told me that he as a guy that makes PRO colorscheme colors paint for us if we wish to go that route. But again not shure I will use the service as I would like to do the paint job my self with a PRO friend car painter beside with guide line so I dont mess up the color scheme I would do ...

Cliff as given alote of time to this Boeing 737/800 super scale project and I know it would be the best one to own over the hole planet larger size airliners compagnies makers.

I guess I will have to have a chat with Cliff soon and see whats up on the Boeing 737/800 that are in the Kent WA warehouse of his ...

A BBJ for those who dont know what this meen ... lol

A1TANGO is offline Find More Posts by A1TANGO