HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:50 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Mini-Review
Great Lakes Freighter -- New from Dumas

I have been wanting to add a Great Lakes Freighter to the fleet for years. Even started to lay out an Edmund Fitzgerald a few years ago, but got side tracked and never got back to it. Well. the wait is over, and the addition has been made by way of the new release from Dumas.

The model is laid out in 1:96 scale, is 45" long with a 6" beam which scales out to 360 feet in full scale. Now for those who would like to do the Edmund Fitzgerald, all you have to do is add a 14" section mid hull and you're in business.I opted not to add the plug as even at 45" I'm well over a practical size for storage, but the Freighter is so cool I'll have to wave the 33" rule for the time being.

The model built basically from wood and plastic. The design is simply and beautifully done, and will produce a terrific sport scale model. Included in the kit is everything you'll need to build the model, but if it's going to be set it up to run you'll also need the Running Hardware package. As with all of the more recent offerings, the kit includes full size General Arrangement drawings, instructions and detailed sub-assembly drawings.

The 36 page step-by-step instruction booklet contains 337 assembly steps plus a full parts list and parts ID sheets. Complete instructions are provided for setting up the R/C running gear as well. Also provided is a 22 page booklet containing 75 detailed sub-assembly drawings that are referenced in the instructions that make building these later kits much easier then some of the older offerings.

So with that, lets get started. . . .
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:51 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Building the Boat Stand

A simple stand is provide, build from wood dowel and spruce. It's the first step in building the model, and will get you in tune with how the step by step instructions are laid out for the rest of the build.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:55 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Getting Started on the Hull

The hull bottom is laid out in the sections. The center section is cut from plastic sheet, then the dye cut front and rear sections are glued in place. The Stuffing Boc assembly is then built up and glued in place at the stern.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:02 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Building Out the Bottom Perimeter

The perimeter of the hull bottom plate is bordered with 2 laminations of 1/8 plastic stips. To get started I pre-bent the curves into trhe strips after the ends were beveled. The bottom plate was weighted to the board and pinned along one side so it wouldn't be sliding around wil the strips were being glued in place.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:06 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Finishing Up the Laminated Perimeter

Adding the second layer od plastic strip is a place where lots of clamps come in real handy. Then once both layers were in place the overlap was trimmed from the bow and sanded into contour.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:09 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Framing the Bow Section

The bow section is framed using a vertical and horizontal former arrangement. The wood support strips are added to the front frame first, then the parts assembled onto the hull.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:13 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Building Up the Center Hull Frame

The center sub-structure is built up from formers and bass wood strips and is framed directly onto the hull bottom. Each of the diagonal braces were hand fitted and glued in place after the formers and top stringers were added.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:21 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Adding the Stern Formers and Building Up the Deck Hatch

The stern section goes together pretty muck like the bow, and then once that's in place, the deck hatch frame is built up in the hull to insure a perfect fit. Small bits of waxed paper are cut and placed at each glue point to prevent the frame from taking up permanent residence in the hull.

Once the frame is completed the sheet plactic deck is trimmed to fit the opening and then tack glued to the frame wile it's still in the hull. The hatch is removed from the hull assembly and glued to the rest of the frame outside the hull to insure that it doesn't get stuck.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:25 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Skinning the Hull

Before the bow setion is skinned, the anchor wells are built up and glued into the dye cut bow skins. The skins are then glued in place. Be carefull here, the skins are fairly stiff and do require some carefull handling to insure you get good adhesion, particularly at the bottom.

Then once the front setion is in place, the mid section plastic sheets are aligned and glued in place.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:35 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Skinning the Stern Section

The lower stern section is skinned using dye cut pieces. The upper section is strip planked using plastic strip stock. I cut the initial batch of strips to rough length first, then began gluing them in place. As things progressed, the strips began to take on some fairly serious twists, and after the first 25 strips were in place, the remaining planks all had to be cut to a taper. Being basically lazy, I decided to cut large sections rather then deal with tapering all of the remaining sections. I did set up the stern with 7 tapered planks, the cut the remaining filler sections from scrap plastic that I had left over from past projects. In the end it worked out great, and went it a good bit quicker then shaping each individual plank.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:40 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
The Fun Will Now Begin -- Filling the Gaps and Contouring the Hull

If not for Bondo, I'd be out of business! The hull surface is in pretty good shape, but needs to be filled and smoothed, and for this, there's nothing better then Bondo. The first application was applied using a squeegee and allowed to fully cure while I went out hunting wet-dry sandpaper. Don't know how I managed to run out, but I did, so hang loose, I'll be back in a minute.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:54 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Sanding, Lots of Sanding.

The Bondo was sanded to rough shape, then subsequent coats of both full strength Bondo and catalysed spot glazing putty were applied and sanded untill the surface was basically smooth and free of dents. Then comes the fun part -- cutting the radius along the bottom of the hull....

I probably would not have thought of this, but the instructions suggest using a router with a 3/8 radius cutter to trim the edge. All I had was a 1/2" cutter, so went with that. Turns out it worked great, the plastic cuts like butter, and it took no time at all to trim a perfect radius all the way around. But be warned, this is a MESSY process, and it took a lot longer to clean up those 3 million little plastic shards that clung to everything in site then it did to make the cut!

Then once the cut was made, I discovered a couple of spots where the sides needed re-gluing so those were fixed using Cya and kicker. Making the cut also produced a relatively porouse edge, so a thin coat of spot putty was smeared all the way around the perimeter and sanded smooth. At this point, the bottom is ready to prime.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:02 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Finishin Up the Hull

The only thing left now was to fill a couple minor gaps where the fore deck mates up to the sides and touch up a couple of boo-boo's on the aft deck. Those were filled with spot putty and sanded smooth. So now, the only thing left is to add the rear bulwark and get that seam cleaned up, and then it's off to the paint shop.

Meanwhile, this hull builds QUICK! I worked for a couple of hours on Friday evening, most of Saturday and some of Sunday morning to get to this point -- And that included chasing sand paper and cleaning up the router mess. Parts fit is near perfect, and the design is done in such a simple way the no more then basic modeling skills are needed to get it done. So stay tuned, more coming soon.....
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined May 2009
215 Posts
I've been waiting for someone to do this, thanks, bang up job as usual.
capterik is offline Find More Posts by capterik
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:12 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,174 Posts
Wow!! This is fun!! What a job!! Dumas had a pretty good brainstorm on this one. A very desirable craft that won't take a year to build.

I'm not that naive, I realize your making it look easy (too easy). I'm just saying the build looks very straightforward and most builders will be able to accomplish a finished product.
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime