United States, DE, Hockessin
Joined Apr 2006
633 Posts
Contest
Delaware DLG Contest for May 2013!

Silent Knights Soaring Society

Spring Fling 2013

Saturday and Sunday: May 18th and 19th

The Silent Knights are back with more F3K fun, excitement, fun, camaraderie and fun. Did I forget to mention fun? Check out our date change -- "Fall Fling" has turned into "Spring Fling". So mark your calendars for the third weekend in May (yes, the weekend after Mother's Day).

Spring Fling 2013 will be located at our incomparable, immaculately maintained flying field, situated in Delaware’s White Clay Creek State Park. Everyone who sees our field falls in love with it; some people join our club on the spot just to be able to fly here. Check out the interactive photo taken by our resident photographer extraordinaire John Kirchstein at our annual ESL Thermal Duration contest.

Awards for Expert and Sportsman, as well as ESL points toward your yearly standings. AMA sanctioned and, most importantly, our universally acclaimed luncheon will be provided.

As a college town, Newark has a lot of motels. The Super 8 on Main Street is only six minutes from our field. The Sleep Inn on South College Avenue is only twelve minutes from the field. Or... check out some other hotels in the area.

And...as a college town, Newark also suffers from an embarrassment of restaurants. The Deer Park, Home Grown, Mojo's, and Iron Hill Brewery are only some of the delightful establishments awaiting your patronage.

Register with the ESL here.

Directions to the field: Right-click on the blue field and select “Directions to here”.

Questions? Contact the CD, Eric Teder.
eteet is offline Find More Posts by eteet
Last edited by eteet; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:42 PM
Corner Ketch, DE
Joined Sep 2005
1,276 Posts
This is great news Eric
Glad to see the move to the spring
Should be a lot of pilots , thermals and great food and prizes
Would be glad to break out the turbine porter and do a noon time cloud breaking tow if you want
creeve is offline Find More Posts by creeve
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:13 PM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
633 Posts
Great news: we have sponsors! I'm always amazed at the generosity vendors show when asked to support a contest. So far, here are our benefactors (if anyone reads this and wants to get onto the sponsor list just drop me a line):

Atlanta Hobbies

Mercury Adhesives
Bob Smith Industries
Castle Creations
G Force Hobbies
BP Hobbies
Atlantic Thermal Accessories
Sig Manufacturing
Tailwind Gliders
Eagle Tree Systems
Skip Miller Models

....more to follow (I hope ).

Eric
Last edited by eteet; Apr 22, 2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:10 PM
Corner Ketch, DE
Joined Sep 2005
1,276 Posts
Eric it must have been that great letter you wrote
I'm sure Horizon / SUSA will be on board soon
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:24 PM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
633 Posts
Wow! John, the owner of G Force Hobbies, has just shown incredible generosity by giving us a Flyzone Calypso glider to offer as a raffle prize.

G Force is our local hobby shop here in Newark, DE.

Thanks John!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:51 PM
Who needs a pilot??
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2002
1,148 Posts
Awesome! Not quite ready to hit register, but am planning to attend ... won't stay at the Super 8 this time, but the Sleep Inn looks good from the photos.
Dan
danstrider is offline Find More Posts by danstrider
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:34 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,571 Posts
I'll talk with my travel coordinator about this one. It's only an hour further than the BASS contest for me, so I may make the trip. We'll see what that weekend looks like.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:06 PM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
I'll talk with my travel coordinator about this one. It's only an hour further than the BASS contest for me, so I may make the trip. We'll see what that weekend looks like.
The best news is that it is not located in a bowl........There is a tree line that is quite interesting......
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:54 AM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFalken View Post
There is a tree line that is quite interesting......
Or, as Austin Sloan puts it, ya gotta "pimp those trees"! I'm not quite sure what that means but it seems to work for him.

Eric
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:46 PM
in awe of glide...
United States, NY, DeRuyter
Joined Dec 2012
170 Posts
I am hoping to attend, but i have never been.

Can we camp on-site? Leave no trace camping that is. Just a small tent and my sleeping bag.

Kirk
Kirkerik is offline Find More Posts by Kirkerik
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:20 PM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
Can we camp on-site?
Hi Kirk,

I wish you could camp on the field but that's not possible. We are located in White Clay Creek State Park, and the park closes at sundown. So there is no camping. I wish it were different.

You can camp at Lum's Pond State Park which is about 30 minutes south.

Here's a Google Maps route from the SKSS field to Lum's Pond.

For the adventurous, two years ago, one of our contestants "couch surfed" at our contest. Newark, Delaware is a collage town so I would think that the opportunity to do that would be good.

Whatever your accommodations we hope to see you at the contest!!

Eric
Last edited by eteet; Mar 27, 2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:02 AM
in awe of glide...
United States, NY, DeRuyter
Joined Dec 2012
170 Posts
thanks Eric,
I see they offer yurts at the Lum pond place. I think they sleep five? That may be an option for those who may want to give it a go...

The tent sites are 33$ a night! Yow!

I'm thinking i'd just like to park in a forest nearby and make my own camp. Do you or anyone else know the area where there might be some state land like that? I see there is Fair Hill resource mgmt area to the west but i don't know if that is like our NY State Lands...

Kirk
Kirkerik is offline Find More Posts by Kirkerik
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:13 PM
ET
Joined Apr 2006
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
I see there is Fair Hill resource mgmt area to the west but i don't know if that is like our NY State Lands
I don't know either. That Fair Hill area is in Maryland. Might be best just to get their phone number off the internet and give them a call.

Eric
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:35 PM
Corner Ketch, DE
Joined Sep 2005
1,276 Posts
Camp at Eric's house
I let people park there RV's in front of My house during the SKSS GAAT!
Walt Has a nice yard also just minutes from the field
Talk to the Nature Center Eric , Maybe they can camp there near the field
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:28 PM
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Mar 2010
58 Posts
First DLG, First Contest

Thanks to Eric and Walt from SKSS, I've been introduced to hand launch and given my first DLG!

Now I'm practicing for this hand launch competition which is also my first ever RC flying contest.

I've been flying and building models on and off for the past 3-4 years while I was in college. Now I'm a new SKSS member and I believe learning hand launch will dramatically improve my flying senses. I've heard' "If you can fly hand launch, you can fly anything." Also being able to fly for two hours straight on a single 300mAh battery is quite the bargain.

The DLG I've been given is a XP5 made by Polecat, I believe. It's been through quite a rough life, but if I can maintain and do well with this bird, a new and fancy glider down the road should be easier, in theory anyway :P

I can't wait to compete and meet other soaring god pilots in the hobby!
sean.belardo is offline Find More Posts by sean.belardo