HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:44 AM
Lake Orion, MI
Joined Jul 2004
87 Posts
Gene,

The first r/c airplane I ever saw (when a kid in '76) had that sort of control.. I had described this to many people and no-one ever claimed familiarity. I was flying C/L .049 planes at the time. R/C was too far out of my range in that day.
Robyn_r is offline Find More Posts by Robyn_r
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:53 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
My boss had me actuly go do some work for my check so i missed some of this thread .So here is the Q-Tee full plans and tiled for us who dont want to leave home.lol
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:11 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince77 View Post
Your two vent setup is the best way except one should go to the bottom front of the tank. That way you can empty the tank easily if needed. The alternative with a single vent, you could add a cut to your clunk line and use a piece of the metal tubing to reconnect it. To fuel up, pull the line apart. Problem is it means the line has to be longer and you can get air leaks in your fuel pickup. Go with two vents. One to the top and one to the bottom. That's how the Cox tanks are set up.
So is this what you mean?
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:09 AM
Joined Mar 2011
589 Posts
I'm hoping I can go by the LHS Monday to pick up what's needed to finish the plane. I'm building a list and this is what I got so far . . .

Control Horns
Pushrod Clevis
CF for pushrods
Ultracote (Haven't decided on colors yet)
Brass tubing for fuel tank
Wheels
Some balsa for the cowl block and windshield area

Can ya'll think of anything else I may need to finish the plane?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:00 AM
Registered Misuser
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Aviano
Joined Jan 2004
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroMan View Post
So is this what you mean?
That's it. Although if all three lines enter close to the top, You're less likely to have leaks where the tubes enter the tank. Even Sulivan slant tanks with the standard compressed plug design, keep the plug and pipes at the very top.

Keep the questions coming. Some of us have had a bit more time to figure these things out...

Cheers,
Vince L.
Vince77 is offline Find More Posts by Vince77
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:44 AM
Registered Misuser
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Aviano
Joined Jan 2004
332 Posts
Quote:
I'm hoping I can go by the LHS Monday to pick up what's needed to finish the plane. I'm building a list and this is what I got so far . .
I didn't see music wire for your landing gear yet. Also, wheel collars to match the landing gear wire. The plan-appropriate method is to solder a washer to keep the wheel off the bend and use a wheel collar to hold the wheel on. I tend to use four wheel collars instead.

We also used to need foam rubber to protect the receiver and battery, but stuff weighs less now so any sponge foam should work.
Vince77 is offline Find More Posts by Vince77
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:27 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
I have a old school wire bender but most times i can find arf replacement landing gear for 3 to 5 dollars at my local hobby shop that i can make work and they even have the foam wheels on them. Dubro has new colored mini hardware now for foamys but they look great on small balsa builds also . I cut up these up for control horns on my foam builds because they just must have you get a free one every time i stop for gas, lol BTW they are great for putting small pieces inside wheels pants to run a screw through to hold them on.They are great when taking extra resin off when fiberglassing and for applying filler too.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:48 AM
Joined Mar 2011
589 Posts
Vince, that makes much more sense to have the lines coming out the top of the tank for less leaks. I'll do that.

For the landing gear, even though it will be a little heavier, I think I'm going to get some 1/16" aluminium and make the landing gear the plans call for. I just think it looks a lot cooler than just music wire.

Cracksmeup, I use the same thing for my foamy plane's control horns. I have a stack of old gift cards on my desk right now just for that reason. I made a template that I glue on the cards that let me squeeze 8 (I think it is 8) good sized control horns out of the cards. I thought about using those for the MM, but I decided against it. It will be my first time to buy control horns . . .
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:13 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Vince, that makes much more sense to have the lines coming out the top of the tank for less leaks. I'll do that.

For the landing gear, even though it will be a little heavier, I think I'm going to get some 1/16" aluminium and make the landing gear the plans call for. I just think it looks a lot cooler than just music wire.

Cracksmeup, I use the same thing for my foamy plane's control horns. I have a stack of old gift cards on my desk right now just for that reason. I made a template that I glue on the cards that let me squeeze 8 (I think it is 8) good sized control horns out of the cards. I thought about using those for the MM, but I decided against it. It will be my first time to buy control horns . . .
Pyroman i was once asked where i get some parts i build with and i told them i would ripp parts off of a kitchen sink if i could use any parts on my builds.. Yea i hate buying stuff from anywhere and most times i build my own stuff myself. I have bought out airplane estate sales and have thousands of small stuff still in the package . I give alot of it out to noobs who are learning to build but i still have way to much junk after buying for 35 years. joe
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:18 AM
Joined Mar 2011
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Pyroman i was once asked where i get some parts i build with and i told them i would ripp parts off of a kitchen sink if i could use any parts on my builds.. Yea i hate buying stuff from anywhere and most times i build my own stuff myself. I have bought out airplane estate sales and have thousands of small stuff still in the package . I give alot of it out to noobs who are learning to build but i still have way to much junk after buying for 35 years. joe
Haha, I'm the same. I would rather build it myself even if it takes longer and (sometimes) more money. I normally do it as a challenge to just see if I can do it. I don't know, it's just kinda fun . . .

Right now I'm working on a .049 intake throttle
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
589 Posts
Colors??????

Okay, so I've been thinking about what colors I want to do the plane in. . . . but I can't decide!!!

I really like the way Gene did his with the design and colors, I think I'm going to do a similar design, but different colors. But which ones to do?

I photoshopped one of Gene's pics (hope you don't mind Gene) to something I thought I would like (blue and white) but it's not as good looking as I thought it would be. Also, I want something that I can see well in the air for orientation and I thought the blue/white may disappear against the blue sky.

I don't know right now what colors to use (have I said that already haha) so do ya'll have any suggestions. . .

Here are the two pictures of the 'design' I'm going to do and the one photoshopped picture I did. . . .

Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:37 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
How about white and yellow with red strips ? I use it on alot of my planes or a red white and blue . joe
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:08 PM
Joined Mar 2011
589 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions Cracksmeup. I like the white/yellow/red, but I think I have decided on a green with cream with black trim. I'll have to see what color of green they have at the LHS. I'm hoping for something old looking. Like an old green, maybe a little tuqoise-y. Not too bright or dark. Haha Idk I guess I'll decide on the shade when I get there. By the way, what's the name of the model in that picture (the one with the white/yellow/red)?

What do ya'll think?

(It's the exact scheme as Gene's, just instead of orange it's green)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:14 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
804 Posts
Gene knows what he's doing with that orange color....Visibility....best color you can use for visibility. Actually not sure that's why Gene picked those colors but he sports a very visible color selection in all weather conditions.....
Brner is offline Find More Posts by Brner
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:08 AM
Joined Mar 2011
589 Posts
I put on the horiz. and vert. stab, taped on the rudder, and put on the main wings tonight just to see what she'll look like. It looks like a plane when I do that

Anyways, I thought I'd share the picture of itůName: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358755615.516057.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 134.3 KB
Description: