HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:13 PM
18t
Joined Mar 2010
121 Posts
I got mine working with openlrsng, I'll update if I ever figure out why I couldn't bind. The only obvious change is physical location. I had the TX in randomize after holding the button until it beeped loudly, from there I plugged in the rx and had instant bind lights.

oh and btw, the link seemed quick and smooth to me so far by just observing the servo. Yet to test ppm but I trust that it will be just fine.
18t is offline Find More Posts by 18t
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:14 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstermash View Post
I don't have one... They can be programmed with the AVR programmer, can't they? It'll be quicker for me to wait for my buddy to get back than order an FTDI...
Yes AVR programmer will do too.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:48 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2011
73 Posts
After seeing 6 pages of people fiddling with firmware flashes and fiddling with open- source software mods and not single person actaully Flying with this "Plug and Play" system I feel it's not premature to call this HK attempt a FAIL.

This thread seems to have devolved into people hacking about to convince themselves that they didn't waste their hard-earned money. I'm sure if any of you were able to prove me wrong, you'd do so...
Pookyjuice is online now Find More Posts by Pookyjuice
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:50 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
Erm, I remember more than one post form people doing test flights on it, but at it's current state it is a mislabeled system more than a fail. I definitely wouldn't feel safe when all units are shipped to fly on the same channel.
acetech09 is online now Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookyjuice View Post
After seeing 6 pages of people fiddling with firmware flashes and fiddling with open- source software mods and not single person actaully Flying with this "Plug and Play" system I feel it's not premature to call this HK attempt a FAIL.

This thread seems to have devolved into people hacking about to convince themselves that they didn't waste their hard-earned money. I'm sure if any of you were able to prove me wrong, you'd do so...
Troll much? How about reading the thread again... I've flown mine.

It's not as if this system is unknown. Although it comes with OrangeRx stickers, it's OpenLRS, which has been around a few years. The stock firmware is the same stock firmware that the original product is shipped with.
lobstermash is offline Find More Posts by lobstermash
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Oct 2011
59 Posts
Quote:

HK clearly states on the product page:
*Note: The setup and use of Open LRS requires computer programming skills and basic Arduino experience. This is not a "plug and play" system. See the attached document under the "Files" tab for resources on programming info, firmware downloads and more.
Where did you get the idea it was plug and play?
yarg is offline Find More Posts by yarg
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:21 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarg View Post
HK clearly states on the product page:
*Note: The setup and use of Open LRS requires computer programming skills and basic Arduino experience. This is not a "plug and play" system. See the attached document under the "Files" tab for resources on programming info, firmware downloads and more.
Where did you get the idea it was plug and play?
Well, isn't it plug and play but pre-loaded with outdated/bad firmware?
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:29 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
It is plug and play.

Plug in your FTDI and play with firmware.
acetech09 is online now Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:05 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2011
73 Posts
Quote:

My apologies, I think must have woken up (at work) pissed off and hungry when I posted that. I was nonplussed at the amount of work this system seems to take to set up, and that rant was definitely coming from a POV of ignorance.
I suppose I wanted to believe that a UHF setup that actually fits into my current budget would be easy to set up and affordable. There's no such thing as a free lunch, I realize. An ultra cheap n00b-friendly LRS would probably result in many lost planes in the short term.
Pookyjuice is online now Find More Posts by Pookyjuice
Last edited by Pookyjuice; Dec 28, 2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:08 AM
18t
Joined Mar 2010
121 Posts
I also had TX solder issue, I was having very intermittent success and I read the post below so I took a look inside. The connector was actually pretty good but my rfm22b radio had 3-5 joints nearest to the three pin bank that ranged from needing touch-up to basically not soldered. No problem now, I'm actually quite happy with the system for the price. Kha's firmware is great, thanks.

Here it is flying in ppm mode. I know that it obv. doesn't show any range capability but I'll get to checking rssi when I get to it, not expecting much difference from orig. openlrs performance. The shakiness is from the pilot not the radio it doesn't help that im standing in a few inches of snow in 20deg F middle of the night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZBB8...PReQSg&index=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
I got my orange 433 today, and it works. I could not resist to install the openlrsNG firmware on it, and that works too. Quite happy so far.

I did have a manufacturing fault on the TX module. Hope this is an isolated event. The connector was not properly soldered, and the ppm pin did not make frim contact. Luckily after some wiggling i did see it.
18t is offline Find More Posts by 18t
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:08 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,624 Posts
Quote:
:
Well HK / OrangeRX should have used some R&D resources to work on the firmware, I have maybe used 15-20 hours on mine and I could call it plug and play already .

But, no they did not use any R&D resources apart from minor rework on the PCB layout and shipped with the very first firmware they found. With this level of competence I'm start to wonder what kind of shite their other products firmwares are .
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:35 AM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Generally poor - they use what their suppliers give them (see the G-OSD firmware and stock Flysky 9x firmware as prime examples). The only place I've seen them improve firmware is the alleged changes to ER9x for the 9XR. Hopefully start of a brave new world for HK...? I doubt it. But they're consistently improving. I'm happy to be able to have my hands on this module and technology at a price I can afford.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:35 AM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Very grateful for your work on this firmware I should add, Kha....
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:38 AM
Joined Jul 2011
176 Posts
Hi everyone.
Does any of the versions available is using more than 3 frequencies hopping? It seems a bit problematic to me... The eLeReS costs only 25$ more for tx+rx and uses 16 frequencies hopping as far as I know... Also supprt antenna tracker... I'm trying to make up my mind wiether to get the hk's product or eLeReS.. The only advantage I can see for the hk's is that it open source based, so the software might improve. Just don't know if the frequencies hopping issue is depend on the software or hardware?
Friman is offline Find More Posts by Friman
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:42 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,566 Posts
Did more tried this kit?
I haven't been able because of the bad weather but yesterday a friend while trying lost total control after ~30mts... and that is not a good sign.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind