HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:36 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,007 Posts
Saw this on "On the Horizon" yesterday. It looks cool and I hope they make the late October date in time for JR, but I doubt they will and only Matt, Dave, and Seth will be flying it at JR this year.......
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hangar 9 P-40b
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:20 AM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
409 Posts
expected late october...

usually horizon puts out expected dates 3+ months in advance from what I've seen.
so this one only has 6 weeks ---so to me --late Oct. seems likely to happen. Perhaps horizon waited to be sure they would really make the date.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Last edited by flyrtim; Sep 14, 2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:27 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
expected late october...

usually horizon puts out expected dates 3+ months in advance from what I've seen.
so this one only has 6 weeks ---so to me --late Oct. seems likely to happen. Perhaps horizon waited to be sure they would really make the date.
Horizon almost never post release dates. You have to go to the E-Flite website to see the "late october 201X"
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:36 AM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Horizon almost never post release dates. You have to go to the E-Flite website to see the "late october 201X"
True...it's only on the eflite site...nevertheless 6 weeks notice is short compared to the typical advanced advertising....201X--yes you have good reasons to be skeptical--and thanks for the laugh.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Last edited by flyrtim; Sep 14, 2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typppo
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:00 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,455 Posts
I wonder how difficult this will be to hover - even with as3x
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:31 AM
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
308 Posts
This is kinda disappointing.
The as3x sbach is the most capable full fuse 3d micro available but there is more to it than just throwing a as3x brick/servos and making slot longer.
There is no additional bracing on tail which is mandatory for continuous aggressive 3d flight. Also doesn't look like throws have been increased on tail at all.
I had to extended horns inward to get truly 3d throws.nose looks as weak if not weaker than V1 due to more foam removed.
daft punk is offline Find More Posts by daft punk
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:40 AM
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I wonder how difficult this will be to hover - even with as3x
Much easier than V1 but still nowhere near as easy as hovering a profile like the 4site or 300. I've found pulsing the throttle helps fight the torque roll a lot better than trying to do it all with ailerons. Doable but wouldn't say its easy.
daft punk is offline Find More Posts by daft punk
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:51 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,455 Posts
That sucks
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:19 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daft punk View Post
This is kinda disappointing.
The as3x sbach is the most capable full fuse 3d micro available but there is more to it than just throwing a as3x brick/servos and making slot longer.
There is no additional bracing on tail which is mandatory for continuous aggressive 3d flight. Also doesn't look like throws have been increased on tail at all.
I had to extended horns inward to get truly 3d throws.nose looks as weak if not weaker than V1 due to more foam removed.
Actually looks like they've increased the throws a lot. I mean they are not going to be 45*-50* but more than before. Probably just innermost holes on the old horns.

The elevator has a CF spar running most of the span. Adding a piece of round CF to the stab is easy if you really want it to be more solid. I've found that my V1 Sbach's stab didn't flex at all in 3D style flight, In high speed flight I found it flexed under load, but harriers, hovering, high alpha it was rock solid.

I do agree the nose looks fragile. However I don't fault HH for this, as if the plane is not crashed the nose will last forever. There are always design tradeoffs and I'd take a better flying plane over one designed to survive nose plants any day. I'm more concerned about the foam removed from the wing as the V1 had that foam spar running across the middle and never flexed at all, that being removed now may introduce some wing flex.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:01 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,328 Posts
E-flite UMX Sbach 3D with AS3X Un-boxing review

What a surprise this Review was. On the Wednesday i got an email telling me a box had been sent to me and would arrive the next morning, in it was a plane! What plane i would find out later that day when Horizon Hobby released it. The suspense was killing me, but later that afternoon HH released the new updated UMX Sbach 342 3D with AS3X. Yes just like the UMX Beast 3D with AS3X there was now another one of the favorite Ultra Micros and i had one arriving the next morning. So again with many thanks to Mike from OMP i can bring you this close up look at this new AS3X Sbach 3D which has a few upgrades on the old model, so sit back and have a close up look at E-flites new UMX Sbach 3D

cheers chuck

E-flite UMX Sbach 3D with AS3X Un-boxing review (7 min 46 sec)
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:21 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,907 Posts
Don't worry about the wing!!!...I removed the same foam area in my V1 to get an aft CG---And even though I smacked mine in the street at a 60* angle the wing didn't break along the center---The wings break where they exit the fuselage...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:52 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
expected late october...

I've been buying Horizon products for almost a decade. They almost never hit a date. Hope they will this time, but I doubt it.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hangar 9 P-40b
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:14 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
Chuck,

hopefully you read this before your maiden, When you come in to land, Even the AS3X Sbach still lands like an Sbach! My B3D is so easy to land and it lands so slow it is almost like an auto-land system. This little guy lands like the V1. Probably 2x as fast as the beast.
Also, Maybe the new HH programming will fix this on these production models, but on mine the elevator gyro is so sensitive that during landings I've had a few "carrier style" landings where the gyro was holding it in the air until the wing stalled resulting in a rather graceless plop down onto the gear. I flew the V1 and my AS3X versions back to back and it is definitely the gyro holding it off. So remember to keep the power on, just like V1.

You'll love the way the plane flies though, it is great! Completely aerobatic yet at the same time such a different "feel" than the B3D. The beast just feels like you're motoring through everything, where the Sbach really feels like you're on the wing the whole time. You also get a great sense of the planes energy.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:31 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
I've been buying Horizon products for almost a decade. They almost never hit a date. Hope they will this time, but I doubt it.
Good to keep in mind. Thank you for your reference point.

I can't wait for the maiden Chuck!!!
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:09 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,195 Posts
Wow! Been waiting for this. Do want!
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.