HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:09 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
O never fear - Skyloft was mentioned in that thread. Along with coffee filters, teabag paper, depleted dryer sheets.....
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:26 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Guys, I've got a similar ASW-28 that has the same winglets. Although not the FMS (it is an ST Models and only 2m) I used and old thin cotton bed sheet, Super77 and Zap medium CA to make the winglets wicked strong. Just soak the cloth, sand and paint. Did the whole fuselage too, this sailplane glides well now.

This is how strong they are...

Build thread here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...969083&page=53
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:29 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:33 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
BUMP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
... a quick question. I'm buying some material to make wing bags. Those upturned winglets on the 28? I know they're separate pieces but, are they easily detachable for transport? Methinks wouldn't last long in a bag so, need to plan accordingly.
Thanx!
Would appreciate an answer this morning - I'm heading out early to run some errands & want to combine trip to fabric store if I can (in another town - no store here)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:31 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,246 Posts
Studio..Nice looking ASW28!

Star...Yes you can easily transport them...They are clip on attachments more or less. I chose to CA mine in but you don't have to.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:34 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
Sounds good - thanx partner! I left before seeing an answer - the fabric was cheap enough (they had a clearance table -- them wimmenz get all the breaks!) so I went ahead & bought some. Now I can make the inside of the bag(s) look like a pool table!

YEAH Studio did a nice job there. 'Course, seein' the color scheme he chose, I know you're kinda biased.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:02 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,246 Posts
Just a little biased, LOL.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:43 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Thanks guys! Yeah fun stuff, I have numbered most of my sailplanes with the same Suisse registration, HB-1078, a favorite number of mine plus I prefer the Suisse graphics. Incidentally, I'm building from scratch an 1967 ASK-13 1:10 scale (1.65m) and just out of curiosity I googled images for "HB-1078", guess what it is, yup an ASK-13 :-)
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:48 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Oh also if you look in my build thread photos you can see how I did the covering. It really is like a light fiberglassing and makes foam tough, light and strong. The ST Models ASW-28 fuselage tail is known to be very wobbly out of the box, my covering totally cured that. If you look closely I also cut the carbon wing spar in half and added an aluminum connector with slight dihedral, absolutely glides so much better.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:12 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
Yes, I noticed that dihedral addition in your build thread. Don't recall seeing any specific angle though -- how much did you bend the peg? Might've been the camera angle (lens) but it didn't appear there was as much on the wings as the bend on the rod in the pic.

Fuse #s: AMA says you're supposed to have your number somewhere in/on the plane -- I've been working on a theme lately of using mine as my fuse side reg.#, along with some 'stylized' version of the AMA lettering. My Blaze when finished will have a 'sunburst' pattern (done for me by Callie's Graphics) on top of the wing (see pic) and I found a font that looked something like that design so, got her to also do my AMA # in that. I'm strongly thinking of duplicating the wing design on my Minimoa, since it so resembles the Habicht with its gull wings & Sunburst design -- in fact I patterned my design after the Hawk - that glider's just 'Da Bomb' to me! .
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Aug 25, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:48 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
Hi guys,
Gone quiet again in here - worries me! Hoping it's cuz everybody's too busy flying to be writing!
Had a bummer with the Minimoa yesterday - despite my intentionally taking it easy on the throttle, melted the motor mount. The motor started sounding a bit odd about 5 seconds before she went south so, thinking that might've built the heat it took. Oh well, was gonna re-do it anyway - this just moves it from 'want' to 'need'.

I can't recall seeing anything specific in the short time I've been on the thread -- straight up (without mods or beefing up), how's this (FMS's) ASW-28 on hard pullups & other aerobatics the 1:1 can handle? Any caveats, or just go-for-it??
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:06 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Yes, I noticed that dihedral addition in your build thread. Don't recall seeing any specific angle though -- how much did you bend the peg? Might've been the camera angle (lens) but it didn't appear there was as much on the wings as the bend on the rod in the pic.

Fuse #s: AMA says you're supposed to have your number somewhere in/on the plane -- I've been working on a theme lately of using mine as my fuse side reg.#, along with some 'stylized' version of the AMA lettering. My Blaze when finished will have a 'sunburst' pattern (done for me by Callie's Graphics) on top of the wing (see pic) and I found a font that looked something like that design so, got her to also do my AMA # in that. I'm strongly thinking of duplicating the wing design on my Minimoa, since it so resembles the Habicht with its gull wings & Sunburst design -- in fact I patterned my design after the Hawk - that glider's just 'Da Bomb' to me! .
I think it was around 5-6 deg, Ill have to double check. Just enough to make it fly well.

I'll have my AMA reg number somewhere on my sailplanes, it is just such a long number and not really sure where it should go, possibly inside the cockpit? I design my own graphics http://kewlartdesigns.com and prefer the scale sailplane look, yes the DFS Habicht sunburst is very, very nice.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:09 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,443 Posts
Hi Stud;
Yeah, the rule says the # must be on or inside somewhere. Many, I think, aren't aware of the implications - that if it isn't, your AMA insurance coverage is not in force. I haven't read the specific wording -- that's what I was told by one of our club's officers. I had 3 planes at that time, & no # in either (didn't know about the rule) but you can bet they're in them now, & the 3 others I've acquired since!

Yeah - anywhere inside will do. One plane I bought used, the former owner's name, addy, phone, e-mail & AMA were on a sticker inside on the bottom of the removable cockpit you open to install LiPos. I've used basically the same method on mine.

Saaay...give me the 2-cent tour - what is 'WordPress'? Just an equiv to MS 'Word', like? Is it freeware? (didn't see any pricing on my quick scan-thru of your link page). I've got 'Word', and immortally L-O-A-T-H-E it! I only, well, resort to using it when there's no other option.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,201 Posts
I believe that WordPress is a blog host. Have you tried Open Office? I started using it when I started using a Linux operating system and now I can't imagine using a different word processor.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:00 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
770 Posts
I see Bananahobby has it for $100.00 now. That's temping. I love the way ASW-28 looks. But there doesn't seem much talk about it here on these boards. That makes me think it's not such a good glider. Tempting though.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy