HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:00 PM
Fly Big, Fly Hard!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
910 Posts
Cool thanks! Whats the recommended flap servo?
Royster is online now Find More Posts by Royster
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:25 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2010
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royster View Post
Parkzone SV80 Long Lead
Lilienthal is offline Find More Posts by Lilienthal
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:42 PM
Ack!
Maryland
Joined Feb 2011
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbster85 View Post
Just ordered a new P-47 today from HH. Are there any must-do mods for the Jug besides retracts and flaps??
Not a must-do mod, but I use the clear plastic belly skids even though I have retracts. They are supposed to be used if you fly with no landing gear but I installed them anyway as a safety measure - they come in handy if you ever have to make an emergency gear-up landing.
md1963 is offline Find More Posts by md1963
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys... Now as far as batteries, what fits? What size batteries are you guys using?? (besides the stock lipo of course) I am very excited for it to show up, of course when Im waiting for it, we are getting great weather for a couple of days in the NW!
Tubbster85 is offline Find More Posts by Tubbster85
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Apr 2011
162 Posts
Looking at the manual and thinking about getting this model, I'm wondering how two SV80 long lead servos will work for the flaps since they're mounted in opposite directions?
chudson is offline Find More Posts by chudson
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,475 Posts
They are mounted that way to remove the need for a reversing Y harness. If you want to set up crazy 4 servo wing mixes, you would mount them just like the aileron servos.
Eclipse_7 is online now Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:26 PM
AMA 884978
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chudson View Post
Looking at the manual and thinking about getting this model, I'm wondering how two SV80 long lead servos will work for the flaps since they're mounted in opposite directions?
The servo mounting pockets in the wing are set up to accommodate the servos being mounted in the SAME direction. Only the linkage is offset slightly on one side. Both servos will move in the same direction at the same time.

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:46 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys... Now as far as batteries, what fits? What size batteries are you guys using?? (besides the stock lipo of course) I am very excited for it to show up, of course when Im waiting for it, we are getting great weather for a couple of days in the NW!
I fly with 2650 3 cell 30 c batts along with the stock battery. The 2650's I got from hobby king they are turnigy, a little wider and heavier than stock but they fit the pocket nice and snug. Now I'm only using them and saving the stock batt for the spitfire which has a smaller pocket. Next time I go to get batteries I'm going to go with somewhere in the USA though that won't keep me waiting.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:34 PM
USA, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Aug 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by md1963 View Post
Not a must-do mod, but I use the clear plastic belly skids even though I have retracts. They are supposed to be used if you fly with no landing gear but I installed them anyway as a safety measure - they come in handy if you ever have to make an emergency gear-up landing.
I did this too, unfortunately it was after a rough landing without landing gear as my retracts wouldnt come back out when i came in to land. Still not sure what went wrong haven't had a single problem with my retracts since and did quite a bit of ground testing before i went back up with it again. Worth keeping the skids on, they weigh nearly nothing anyway.
galdionite is offline Find More Posts by galdionite
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:14 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by md1963 View Post
Put mine on as well, for the same reason, and to give me protection on the bottom for handling and hanger rash. Working out great so far!

Quote:
I use Blue Lipo, Turnigy, Zippy and Parkzone 2200 mah lipos. All 25C or better. No problems with heat, lots of power, loads of space inside for them, CoG is good with it most of the way into the battery compartment. Never hit LVC, though I only fly 6 mins then look to land. (While I am up I am at 3/4 to WOT much of the time, doing zoom climbs, rolls, loops, cubans, etc.)

Sure enjoy this plane and the Eflite retracts are amazing. With those and the flaps it really makes this a great and fun plane to fly. Loads of compliments from the guys at the club, even the die hard gas plane flyers.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:19 AM
Joined Apr 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
The servo mounting pockets in the wing are set up to accommodate the servos being mounted in the SAME direction. Only the linkage is offset slightly on one side. Both servos will move in the same direction at the same time.

Hillbille
That's what I intended to do, but the manual had me scratching my head as it shows them mounted in opposite directions. Thanks for the clarification.
chudson is offline Find More Posts by chudson
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:42 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I use 2650 - 2200 batteries, Sky Lipo and Parkzone. If you need a US based company I would look at HobbyPartz and now my favorite due to the batteries already having Deans on them is Value Hobby.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:47 AM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chudson View Post
Here is a Youtube video that Horizon Hobby did that shows how the flaps are installed, perhaps this will help you out.
HorizonHobby.com How-To - ParkZone P-47D Thunderbolt Flap Installation (Part 1 of 2) (8 min 37 sec)
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:08 AM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royster View Post
I've been running the HK cheapie orange servos, never had a problem.
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:27 AM
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Dec 2010
63 Posts
I put a small bit of fiber glass inside the cowl, on the bottom, pushed all the way forward into the nook. I kept cracking the cowl even on the slightest nose-overs. I started out just squirting some gorilla glue in there and letting it foam up into the nook, but the fiber glass works much better.

I forget if it was mentioned, but bamboo skewers in the vertical stabilizer is a must.
kbuzz1 is offline Find More Posts by kbuzz1