HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:26 AM
United Kingdom, Holbeach Saint Johns
Joined Mar 2005
347 Posts
Discussion
Scale Soarer For A Beginner !

Hello Everyone.

Right not new to gliding but would be to scale gliding,just want people's thought's on which scale soarer would be good to start off with ?

Anyone
RC-JG is offline Find More Posts by RC-JG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:15 PM
Xroadie
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Mar 2006
319 Posts
Do you plan to fly off of a slope, use a winch or do you have someone nearby with a towplane?
xroadie is offline Find More Posts by xroadie
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:20 PM
Joined Mar 2005
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xroadie View Post
Do you plan to fly off of a slope, use a winch or do you have someone nearby with a towplane?
Hello well iv done bungee myself and winching and watched aero towing and never sloped.

i think aero towing might be a better idea if it's scale soaring,so go with that.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 02:59 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,829 Posts
3.4m Minimoa

RC-JG,

You're looking for something with a low wing loading, that can fly off a hi-start without a propensity to tip stall, and handles like a polyhedral trainer.

My S2G Minimoa fits the bill. It is comparable to my Bird of Time for ease of flying-- about as tame a scalie as you can find. It thermals well, launches off a hi-start or winch are no trouble at all, and it is good for slopes, too. It is also a superb choice for aerotow. I have really enjoyed mine over the past few seasons. It is easy to build and performs well in soft air and big air.

http://www.icare-rc.com/minimoa_340.htm

If you like to build, the Krick 3.4m Minimoa is the same size, and flies just as well (for a lot more work).
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aero Skyboy 600
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:09 PM
Joined Mar 2005
347 Posts
Hello iv got a BOT but iv not flown it yet and yours does look nice .....hummm
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:14 PM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
2,829 Posts
Pitting my BOT against my Minimoa, head to head, I'd be hard-pressed to say which is the better performer!

...but the Minimoa is the more impressive, because it is scale.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:20 PM
Joined Mar 2005
347 Posts
Iv also got a OLY III but iv not built it yet ....

Does the BOT fly nice ?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:45 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,289 Posts
Here's a couple of BOT mug 's :-)

Don and I like them !
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:22 PM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
2,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-JG View Post
Does the BOT fly nice ?
Does the BOT fly nice? Ho, man! There's a question! I heard God flies one on His days off...

The Bird of Time is perhaps one of the best two-function model sailplanes ever designed. It has no quirks or bad traits, it performs way beyond what anyone would expect, and it is a real looker as well.

The truly amazing thing about the Bird of Time is that it was designed by Dave Thornburg with no design aids other than his own "eyeball engineering". He got everything right: moments, plan view areas, airfoil (his own hand-drawn foil, whose closest published airfoil is probably the SD3021), structure, frontal volumes, tip shapes, control surface percentages (though the rudder can use a bit more depth, imo).

For a polyhedral 3-meter woodie, its handling is a delight. Unlike the rest of the plodding skybarges, such as the blimp-like Sailaire or the dutifully predictable Paragon, the BOT grooves like a comp ship. It exhibits none of the sashaying in turns that the Aquila Grande and Hobie Hawk are known for, it shows minimal wing flexing during launch (unlike my Legionaire, which virtually groans under the bending loads), and when you drop the nose, it penetrates with the best of them. I have not flown mine with a chunk of ballast yet, but I hear it is a real sink-puncher when loaded up. I don't doubt it one bit.

I've had many times with the BOT where I've gotten into trouble, and the BOT got me right back out of it again. Whether trying to scratch out of a low-altitude "save" situation in a contest, or blown too far downwind on a cold, cloudy day, or too high on a big air day, the BOT always comes through. I have on several occasions hand-launched my big 58oz BOT into a thermal and specked out. Makes you look like you know what you're doing. I can always use some of that!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:27 PM
Joined Mar 2005
347 Posts
I must give mine a blast then and see how good it is ..... i migth not need a scale soarer then
Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:56 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,582 Posts
I guess you really were not looking for a scale glider then, while a BOT is a fine machine, a Minimoa is different flying machine altogether, although there are some slight similarities, they are very different, I suggest do both!
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Jul 12, 2010, 05:01 PM
Joined Mar 2005
347 Posts
I have many gliders and iv built lots over the year,yeh a scale glider is what im looking for would be nice to get a few peoples other thoughts aswell
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:58 PM
Joined Mar 2005
347 Posts
What do people think to the FlyFly DG808S glider ?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 01:32 PM
Xroadie
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Mar 2006
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-JG View Post
What do people think to the FlyFly DG808S glider ?
Here is a thread about it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=flyfly+dg808s
xroadie is offline Find More Posts by xroadie
Old Jul 13, 2010, 02:38 PM
Joined Mar 2005
347 Posts
Thanks for the link