HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:51 PM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
737 Posts
It has a video out, completely compatible with my Hornet and 500mW VTX. Everything already tested, due to weather not flown yet.
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:40 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
That makes it a flight camera, not a DVR.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Sep 2012
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
That makes it a flight camera, not a DVR.
So are many other devices mentioned in this threat, nevertheless it does an excellent job:

19112012_Wat_Yansangwararam.avi (6 min 19 sec)

and:

19112012_Wat_Yansangwararam.avi (7 min 44 sec)

I am using the video out to go to the OSD and record simultaneously. You can judge yourself whether this is DVR or not, I just thought it is worth while sharing this info.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:49 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01 View Post
So are many other devices mentioned in this threat, nevertheless it does an excellent job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3HOX...&feature=g-upl

and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vMNj...re=context-gau

I am using the video out to go to the OSD and record simultaneously. You can judge yourself whether this is DVR or not, I just thought it is worth while sharing this info.

All devices on the list can capture live feed data. If this can, then it is a recording device. If you are just recording video with live video out, then it is a flight camera.

The key is... can it record from an AV in source? If not... It does not belong on this thread.

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
All devices on the list can capture live feed data. If this can, then it is a recording device. If you are just recording video with live video out, then it is a flight camera.

The key is... can it record from an AV in source? If not... It does not belong on this thread.

Chris
You are incredible, very wrong with this statement. Have a look at the first page and look for these devices:

eBay 720x480 KeyChain Cameras: $8-20US
Video Codec: Motion JPEG (720x480, 30/fps, 10263kbps)
Audio Codec: PCM Audio 2050Hz 353 kb/s (1 chnl)

+ Ulta Lite record only
+ Hi resolution flight captures.
+ Self Powered/
+ Can be modified to run directly off your BEC or Receiver via a Y-Adapter on CH3
- NO VIDEO OUT. (for use as a backup flight recorder for later playback.)
If you loose signal, these also also make great crash videos.

and:

eBay 720p Mini DVR (AKA, Black Box) : $85-100US [http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44984]
Recording resolution : 1280×720 / 960×720 / 640×480.
AV-OUT : PAL/NTSC compatible.
voltage/current : DC 5V/400mA.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 740x492.

+ Light weight
+ 720P Video Capture
+ Self powered (Or rig 5vdc UBEC or servo lead hack for continuous)
+ Real Time VIDEO OUT while recording.

Neither of these devices have video in, nevertheless they are listed on the 1st page.

Anyway, this will be my last post in this thread as it seems not to be appreciated.

Have a nice day.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:47 AM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
658 Posts
Quote:

Chris
I think it's a tiny bit different, it only has to be portable and recording.
As recording of local camera image on the ground doesn't make sense, it's not suitable for a ground station though. But this thread is not the "Ground station recording device list!". This device is portable and it can record so that makes it an on-topic device.

But it looks bulky and with 75g it's kind a heavy. I'd rather use a keychain cam which is only 15g and probably has the same recording quality. Btw, I would never use a device like this for FPV by using the live av-out feed. There are simply too many reasons for failure.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:07 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
Not sure what it is now, but this thread really was originally intended to highlight portable
DVRs with an emphasis on ease of use, good quality recordings, and ability to record through static. .
The "portable" bit was to distinguish them from the likes of EasyCap+Laptop approach.
The problem with bringing in cameras is there are a zillion of em they generally
get their own threads. There's several generations of GoPro, plus direct competitors,
and a half dozen Chinese clones of previous gens of GoPro, plus all the gutted dash
cams re-tasked into into fragile onboard cams and more coming every day. There's
also many different DVRs available out there, but only a small fraction of them
are decent quality and can record through static. The value of this thread is in identifying
that small fraction and trying to keep info about them current.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:24 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Not sure what it is now, but this thread really was originally intended to highlight portable
DVRs with an emphasis on ease of use, good quality recordings, and ability to record through static. .
The "portable" bit was to distinguish them from the likes of EasyCap+Laptop approach.
The problem with bringing in cameras is there are a zillion of em they generally
get their own threads. There's several generations of GoPro, plus direct competitors,
and a half dozen Chinese clones of previous gens of GoPro, plus all the gutted dash
cams re-tasked into into fragile onboard cams and more coming every day. There's
also many different DVRs available out there, but only a small fraction of them
are decent quality and can record through static. The value of this thread is in identifying
that small fraction and trying to keep info about them current.

ian
I agree with you here...
I dont know when they decided to add the "flight cameras" to the mix... using a ground based recorder is a safety and recovery measure.. I have tons of flight cameras but I go to threads about flight cameras to review those.

I have always came to this for a review on a good ground recorder but looks like that went to $#!T when it was decided to mix flight recorders and cameras.

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Sep 2012
737 Posts
Quote:
I agree with you here...
I dont know when they decided to add the "flight cameras" to the mix... using a ground based recorder is a safety and recovery measure.. I have tons of flight cameras but I go to threads about flight cameras to review those.

I have always came to this for a review on a good ground recorder but looks like that went to $#!T when it was decided to mix flight recorders and cameras.

Chris
I am breaking my promise not to post in this thread as I do not understand this discussion.

Please read the opening statement of this thread:

ONE STOP: COMPLETE "Portable Recording Device list!" (More added 7/13/2012)
This living thread tells a story of our Quest to find the best fpv recorder out there. Many are ground based, some can actually be wired into the plane(s) themselves. It lists all the portable recording devices that are being used by FPV Pilots & Drivers in the field. It was created as a one stop thread where we rate portable recorders, supply video feeds if available, and compare them with others. If you use a recorder that is not listed and you know of a guy/girl using it, please post your sample here and I will add it to this 1st post as they come in.

Thank you for contributing to the discussion of the "ONE STOP: COMPLETE "Portable Recording Device list!"

In my understanding, according to the above definition, the device I mentioned belongs in this thread. If you guys feel some of the listed devices do not belong in this thread, then start a new one and define clearly what is a Portable Recording Device and what it should do and what it should not do.

Define:

What is portability
Minimum resolution
Minimum recording time
Maximum size and/or weight
Connected or not connected to Laptop or PC
Recording through static
Camera function yes or no
etc, etc, etc.

Only if your definition is clear and understandable, you will get the result you are looking for.

Before I also posted another recording device in this thread which was a recorder, recording through static but needed to be connected to PC. (Like EasyCap, but much, much better) I got remarks it was not a portable recording device.

Once again, blogs like this are intended to share information. You can do with it what you want. Use it or ignore it.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:41 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,228 Posts
So i ordered one of these car DVR's, It has an AV out but was wondering if anyone has tried to use the leads from the board for the camera as an AV input? I also see some of your are using a video splitter box but is it possible to just use a "Y" instead. Ya I'm being cheap, LOL.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Sep 2012
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
So i ordered one of these car DVR's, It has an AV out but was wondering if anyone has tried to use the leads from the board for the camera as an AV input? I also see some of your are using a video splitter box but is it possible to just use a "Y" instead. Ya I'm being cheap, LOL.
I tried, it works.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:58 PM
Electrocuted
SW Louisiana
Joined Jun 2002
240 Posts
Quote:
If you don't mind what make, model and cost--Thanks
RC_AVIGATOR is offline Find More Posts by RC_AVIGATOR
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:59 AM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01 View Post
I tried, it works.
all of it worked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_AVIGATOR View Post
If you don't mind what make, model and cost--Thanks
I should have mentioned that in the first post, $24.89 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/320809661289?...ht_5565wt_1197
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:31 AM
Living in the south of France
Joined Aug 2011
423 Posts
Thanks davecrash i just bought one,,,,,,
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Sep 2012
737 Posts
Quote:
all of it worked?

I should have mentioned that in the first post, $24.89 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/320809661289?...ht_5565wt_1197
Yep, all worked. But be aware, quite heavy.