SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by paul45120
Joined Dec 2011
169 Posts
Finally flew my Apprentice FPV again for the first time in about a year. I'd been flying my war birds and the CZC a lot. The difference was a bit hard to get used to. The Apprentice was like flying in slow motion.
By the third battery I had got the hang of it again. I just had to slow down my brain and relax.
While it will do rolls, loops and the like it is nothing like a P51 or Corsair or the Carbon Z Cub.
All told it was an hour and a half well spent.: And I ended up with an hour of very boring video.
paul45120 is online now Find More Posts by paul45120
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by ripacheco
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
2,784 Posts
Long term report

I been flying 2 of these planes A LOT over the past few months.
not just a few flights but ... Many many flights
We have 4 eflite batteries plus 2 additional batts usually recharging while flying.

I wish I had counted all flights. The pilots are kids aged 9-11

Durability -- landing gear is the weakest part.
Tires get rundown very fast. The rubber part comes off the plastic rims.
Easy to land the plane nose first. Not good on the propeller or nose landing gear.

Safe system ... Good while it works... MUST LET THE THING initialize properly and do a full test before taking off, both with on,u the instructor radio on and with the student radio (peer box) connected. Many times SAFE will not initialize properly. Got to turn off plane and restart... (Reboot?) then things go ok.

Have fun . Don't do acrobatics and other than the wheels and propeller... Plane will last a few flying seasons....
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM
Find More Posts by brianj21
Joined Jul 2015
2 Posts
I'm a new pilot I bought an apprentice about a month ago but havent flown it yet. I've been kind of scared. I bought a UMX radian Ive been flying that getting the hang of orientation and everything I havent crashed it yet.

Im getting a couple extra batteries for the apprentice soon and then im going to take it out. Im excited but a bit nervous I think ill be alright. Seems like a pretty easy flying plane, just nervous on the landing part.
brianj21 is offline Find More Posts by brianj21
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM
Find More Posts by TIRCQ
United States, FL, Doral
Joined Nov 2013
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianj21 View Post
I'm a new pilot I bought an apprentice about a month ago but havent flown it yet. I've been kind of scared. I bought a UMX radian Ive been flying that getting the hang of orientation and everything I havent crashed it yet.

Im getting a couple extra batteries for the apprentice soon and then im going to take it out. Im excited but a bit nervous I think ill be alright. Seems like a pretty easy flying plane, just nervous on the landing part.
All will be okay... just look for:

1) A nice and calm day
2) Largest possible flying area
3) Pre flight check to confirm that the plane SAFE arms fine
4) Go for begginer mode during the whole set of rides
5) Keep it visible all the time, donīt let him go tooo far
6) Slow and come down to try approaches, Carefully try to do some low pass over the landing area to get an idea of the needed/expected landing speed
7) After landing check that all is fine, check/change battery and repeat the above
8) Try to include a Lipo alarm/checker

You will love this airplane because... all will be okay

Best,

Roy
TIRCQ is online now Find More Posts by TIRCQ
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM
Find More Posts by trhodes1
CAVU morning, to you!
United States, CO, Erie
Joined Aug 2014
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianj21 View Post

If you have simulator to practice on, you can get the feel for the correct plane attitude for landing. It'll do a lot for confidence when you can consistantly, repeatedly make good landings on a simulator.

You can fly the Apprentice in RealFlight 7.5....not sure about the others ...I don't have them.
trhodes1 is offline Find More Posts by trhodes1
Old Today, 12:19 AM
Find More Posts by SilverSport
25th year Newbie
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Dec 2014
394 Posts
Brian

You're ready - I have the Radian UMX too, but just started flying that a few trips to the field ago .... months now .... that little guy gets hard to land in the same amount of wind that the apprentice is perfect for flying in ... 5-8mph .... apprentice can handle more wind too, but when it gets too windy to fly the Radian, have the apprentice there. I found beginner mode rather restrictive, but I had flown trainers and slow flyers 23 years before for about 2 years. It is good to use beginner to get over the landing butterflies, but more of your learning will come in Intermediate and advanced modes, when the plane isn't fighting you to go back to uprite .... then line up the landing at least 100 yards out and switch to beginner and lock in your approach until you feel confident enough to land it in the other modes.

You will land the plane ... I assure you ... and with this one you most likely will not need to bring a large glad bag with you!
SilverSport is offline Find More Posts by SilverSport