SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by Nyathi
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Feb 2015
43 Posts
Just maidened my HK EPP 3D MX2

Yesterday I maidened an HK MX2 that I just completed. Thought I'd check in and let it be known in this plane's thread. I bought it to be a practice plane (my "other" plane's a PA Addiction, Addy, so that'll be my point of comparison - I realize the two are categorically different).
Yeah, sorry, no video. I was on my own and I don't yet have a head-mounted filming setup.
First impressions are that it's really good value and excellent for this intended purpose. I know if I crash this fella it isn't going to take as big a bite out of the wallet, and I'd like to push some more daring moves.
It took a number of straight and inverted passes to get it all trimmed out nicely. There also seem to be a few coupling issues, so I put in some mixing to tone that down. In particular, I plugged in about 15% ele-up mixed in with rudder extremes, to help keep a straight knife edge.
The stall is a tad fast in comparison. To be expected. I have a flaperon switch (just for slower landings), and since I copied controls over from the other plane, that worked right out of the box and helped a bit.
The motor performed better than I expected. A Turnigy, sorry I don't have the specifics on hand as I write. I'd guess my vertical thrust-to-weight was around 2, not massive but enough, and it's relatively quiet.
Hovering was a bit sloppy. I think this really has more to do with the servos. I put in a $45 digital & metal geared rudder servo, but still have cheaper $5 servos elsewhere. The cheaper ones are slower, and of course a failure risk, so I may swap those out when I get the funds to justify it. But faster servos would certainly serve a better hovering situation.
Landings: now here's the big point of issue. The wire gear provided are not strong enough. Clearly not. On takeoff the wheels were jittering all over (on grass), and even the softest landing I managed had the prop cutting-grass, and half my landings had the plane flipping over on its nose because of this.
I see this has been noticed earlier in this thread (haven't read through, just here and there). Anyone buying or still building should take note: something more is needed. Doubling the wire, fresh set of gear, whatever it may be. I've tried a simple wooden dowel cross-brace for now, will see how that goes. I tacked it in place with the EPP glue I used for most of the plane (which is slightly rubbery when set), then threaded it (with sewing thread) with extra windings on the wire for better grip, then finished the process with a soaking of CA to seal it all in place; so it may not look like much but I expect it should hold. After that, the next most likely failure on the gear would be the wire bending. If it proves strong enough though I'm fine with the wire, in principle, because it offers a nice degree of shock absorption.
I ran two batteries past the 80% because I had forgotten to lower my timer as a part of this new-plane's settings, but the ESC didn't do anything. Timer was at 10 min, which is what I get with 2200 mahs on my Addy. Brought this down to 6 min for now, for the new 1300 mah ones.
I'm hoping to use this plane for practicing in city soccer fields, instead of having to drive out to my flying club, which is a bit of a distance and can't be managed more than about once a week. Not quite sure about it yet, I do prefer a larger space for this wingspan. We'll see.
I was able to do most basic 3D maneuvers: waterfalls, rolls, harriers + and -, snap turns, dives. It doesn't snap particularly tightly, a bit soft. Hucking only gets about one rotation where I'd normally expect three. But it's fine for what it is, I'm looking forward to getting a lot of hours in on this plane.

Those are my first thoughts. Happy flying, everyone!
Nyathi is offline Find More Posts by Nyathi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:15 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Feb 2015
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaman View Post
...The motor in the Yak is on the horizontal axe with the wing: maybe that could help in knife edge?
I feel like my MX2, with the higher motor placement, has a tendency to nose down in knife edge: does it make sense?
It hadn't occurred to me before. The KE nose-down tendency being due to the motor mount placement being high: that would make sense.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by BryanEW710
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyathi View Post
Landings: now here's the big point of issue. The wire gear provided are not strong enough. Clearly not.
Man up...hover catch it
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jul 20, 2015, 01:02 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Feb 2015
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Man up...hover catch it
Getting there, getting there! I only just started in this hobby four months ago! Just getting over the nerves to fly this plane in a city park was a challenge this weekend. But I did, and it was a blast! I'm a "deep end" learner: I went straight to 3D flying.
Anyway, for the record, my simple dowel bracing on the wheels seems to work well enough, so long as I bring it in gently. That's with grass landings and takeoffs.

I'm always having to deal with dog walkers in parkspaces. I once had a dog rip apart a smaller plane of mine in a park. Maybe this plane's big enough that they'd think twice before doing so. It's kind of fun leading dogs away from their owners as they bark and chase the plane.

Flies nice and slow in a harrier; and I was surprised at how fast it goes cruising on the level. Crack-Yak-like profile foamies will slow right down as soon as you back off on the throttle; this plane seems to hold its speed a alright; so presumably this shows decent aerodynamics and enough mass to punch through the air a bit more. Seems to handle well with a bit of wind, similar deal. Nice, should be flyable in a wider range of situations.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
1,067 Posts
Hey just FYI,
HobbyKing is having a sale right meow. They have the MX2 on sale (back to the original price) and in their HK location they have a variant I believe is just the V2 version in a different color scheme.
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old Jul 20, 2015, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by BryanEW710
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,919 Posts
Quote:
Getting there, getting there! I only just started in this hobby four months ago! Just getting over the nerves to fly this plane in a city park was a challenge this weekend. But I did, and it was a blast! I'm a "deep end" learner: I went straight to 3D flying.
Don't feel bad. My first plane was a DW Foamies Yak-54 (that I'm still flying). Basically, I learned to fly on a 3D plane. It taught me that you HAVE to use the rudder if you're going to turn. A lot of folks learn how to turn without it, which makes 3D flying difficult when you try to transition.

That said, I've been flying since 2006 or so, and it wasn't until a year ago that I consistently started a practice of hover catching. I remember the day I consciously decided to remove the landing gear from my DW Yak and knew from then on, it was either catch it or drop it on its belly
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jul 20, 2015, 03:26 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Feb 2015
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Don't feel bad. My first plane was a DW Foamies Yak-54 (that I'm still flying). Basically, I learned to fly on a 3D plane. It taught me that you HAVE to use the rudder if you're going to turn. A lot of folks learn how to turn without it, which makes 3D flying difficult when you try to transition.

That said, I've been flying since 2006 or so, and it wasn't until a year ago that I consistently started a practice of hover catching. I remember the day I consciously decided to remove the landing gear from my DW Yak and knew from then on, it was either catch it or drop it on its belly
Thanks. It's all good fun, I can take a ribbing
Learning rudder early: indeed, quite an important thing for anything more advanced. Took me a while to come to terms with rudder. I spent a lot of early-stages sim-time doing bank-and-yank. I can consequently do a pretty mean "bobbing roll", rudderless, because that's how I first learned it
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by daniirwan
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday View Post
Hey just FYI,
HobbyKing is having a sale right meow. They have the MX2 on sale (back to the original price) and in their HK location they have a variant I believe is just the V2 version in a different color scheme.
Care to share the link to this V2 variant of the MX2 on Hobbyking's website? I can't seem to find it.
daniirwan is offline Find More Posts by daniirwan
Old Jul 24, 2015, 02:49 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Feb 2015
43 Posts
I've gotten this workhorse up in the air over and over again after work this week, flying in a nearby sports field. It is proving its worth as a practice plane. I'm flying low and slow inverted, pushing my limits, learning to transition low into hovers. Last night had a magical moment where I did torque rolling hover about 3m up, finally managing to maintain control over it through the full set of orientations. I'm using a paved sidewalk for practicing takeoffs and landings (got to take a look first to ensure there are no pedestrians on it at the time). I'm inspiring a lot of young people to take up the hobby, I'm happy to say, and I'm enjoying the way this activity seems to foster enthusiastic friendly conversations with so many different kinds of people wanting to come up and talk. Having a plane that's effectively "made out of pillows" for flying in a public area is reassuring to me in terms of better safety, though I'm pleasantly surprised to discover that the overall reaction is one of "drawing near out of interest" rather than recoiling back out of fear.
This isn't the fanciest plane out there but it's a lot of fun and entirely capable of both sport and 3D practice flying. I can afford to push my limits with this item: I have a predetermined willingness to crash it; though I have yet to do so. I'm glad to have it in my fleet.
There's always a nice upside to a slightly heavy plane (and it isn't very heavy, really): it flies better in windy conditions. I've been flying this plane in a much wider envelope of wind than before. It's good general-skills practice to spend time in turbulent conditions, developing in-flight correction instincts that, in turn, are directly applicable to hovering and harrier skills. Just flying circles one way, then another, upside-down in turbulent air: that's a great exercise!

Flaperons are great imo. They really help mitigate floppy landing gear by slowing things down on landings. My landing gear dowel mod has been further refined with more EPP-glue spread up the shaft (my initial threaded binding slipped), and a mini bungee cord hooked through the base of the firewall (via a small hole cut in the EPP at the "chin") to serve as spring-like shock absorber. I've been practicing touch-and-go landings over and over with this, and it works very nicely both for low grass and pavement.
Yesterday evening, I flew until the twilight had faded and the street lights were on, bringing it closer and closer as visibility waned. Then flaperons on, and a delicate touchdown to end the day. I find just a 15% flaperon is fine to subtly slow and soften landings.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 01:28 AM
Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
1,067 Posts
I believe it's this one. Though I swear that had one labeled "V2. Either way this is similar in size, has the dropped battery compartment and the motor is in line...

oHHHH It might be the UK warehouse that has the nicer looking one. But this one is one sale and the paint is modeled after the 3DHS...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...60mm_ARF_.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniirwan View Post
Care to share the link to this V2 variant of the MX2 on Hobbyking's website? I can't seem to find it.
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old Jul 27, 2015, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by chop stiX
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,311 Posts
Nyathi
I'm happy to hear your enjoying your mx2
Believe me it CAN handle wind!
I maidened mine in a 40km/h odd wind at 02:00 in the morning
Its a nifty little plane that flies quite well.
If you want it to be more "solid" for take offs and landings check out my lg conversion
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jul 28, 2015, 06:24 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Feb 2015
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Nyathi
I'm happy to hear your enjoying your mx2
Believe me it CAN handle wind!
I maidened mine in a 40km/h odd wind at 02:00 in the morning
Its a nifty little plane that flies quite well.
If you want it to be more "solid" for take offs and landings check out my lg conversion
For sure! Huh, those are... odd circumstances in which to maiden. Yes I saw your lg conversion, nice. As things are, it's working for me for now; not fixing the not broken, y'know.
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM
Find More Posts by chop stiX
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,311 Posts
Quote:
For sure! Huh, those are... odd circumstances in which to maiden. Yes I saw your lg conversion, nice. As things are, it's working for me for now; not fixing the not broken, y'know.
lols well we were away on a slope weekend, and I finished her in that week, so took it with incase I felt like maidening her on the slope over the weekend, there is one side of the slope that has a very nice flat open piece, so that was the idea.
The 2 AM maiden idea came after MANY brandy's
and we just happen to have glowsticks on hand
I think the pics of the glowsticks on it are somewhere fairly early in the thread(or just check the thread attachments)
What's the old saying?
"Don't fiddle with what's not f**ked..."
and true words those are
OT I know but since it's my thread just to go back on your post,you will love the addy once you get to the point where you feel you have the confidence for it.My addy was my 1st balsa 3d and still one of my most favourite planes ever!!!!!!! I love it.It's such a gentle floater and can handle a fair amount of wind aswell.I still prefer to fly her with a slight breeze.Makes for stationary harriers into the wind a lot of fun
does anyone have any new vid of their MX2's?
I must really get mine airborne again(needs new esc and possibly servo's)
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX