New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2016, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by Slope Addiction
Joined Jul 2015
8 Posts
Cool
Good PR at Kanan Hill

I was flying some fun light lift this afternoon when a nice women with 2 boys came up and stood with me to watch. She really enjoyed the sight of the plane and thought the tranquility was very cool. After answering the usual questions about our hobby I learned that she lived right below where we fly and has had concerns over who we are and what we are flying overhead. She also said that she is concerned with privacy and wanted to know how drones and the new law pertains to us.
I explained to her that unlike some drone pilots, we did not just pull a plane out of a box and start flying with no regard for rules or safety. I said that I can not speak for anyone who may walk up and fly but I can say that the core group of guys that fly at Kanan are AMA members that have a serious time and financial commitment to what we do. I landed my plane so that they could see it up close and explained to them how it works. I also extended Bretts offer to use his buddy cord if the boys or anyone else would like to try soaring.
As she was leaving she thanked me for taking the time to explain to her who we are and what we do and she said she feels better now about the planes that are flying near her house. I said that if she or anyone else had any concerns or questions to please come up and see us.
I feel that we now have a more comfortable neighbor and maybe opened up the lines of communication which is so important to maintain our flying sites. And who knows, we may get some future top guns to come up and fly.
Slope Addiction is offline Find More Posts by Slope Addiction
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2016, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by bjaffee
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,401 Posts
Good to hear Dan. It doesn't sound like that was the other person we had up there a few years ago complaining about glider "noise."

The other day I had an encounter with a Sheriff officer just as I was leaving the hill. He was apparently checking on my car to make sure it wasn't someone who was in trouble, I guess. Anyway, he seemed pretty interested in the plane (he talked about watching people flying power planes in Simi), especially on finding out they are gliders. Anyway, he expressed some interest in coming up to the hill to check it out sometime.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee