New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2015, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by cerm78
Joined Jul 2015
3 Posts
Question
BEC still feeding receiver

Hi. I've spend some time searching the forum but all references I found are of the normal BEC disabling procedure.

Thing is this: I have an old Phoenix-45 ESC that I'm using with 12 NiMh and an Ultimate BEC, so I disconnected the red wire from the servo cable as instructed to disable the internal BEC.

I noticed that on battery connection there was significant sparking. Since the ESC is not supposed to arm immediately I assumed it was the U-BEC drawing some current so I added a switch to the connection between the main pack and the U-BEC.

Sparks still appear with the switch off and to my surprise, the receiver is being powered!!! If I disconnect the servo connector from the ESC to the receiver, it doesn't power up immediately but until I enable the switch, as expected.

How is it possible that the already disabled BEC is powering my receiver?
cerm78 is offline Find More Posts by cerm78
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2015, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
20,621 Posts
The spark is normal. It’s caused by the capacitors being charges. The higher the voltage the larger the spark. That’s normal on all electric powered airplanes.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 07, 2015, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by Clintstone
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
992 Posts
That is correct... What you are seeing is the caps being charged.
Clintstone is online now Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Jul 07, 2015, 11:57 AM
Joined Jul 2015
3 Posts
Okay, so it seems I wasn't actually solving a problem in the first place, but just adding more complexity with no reason hehe... Thanks for the feedback!

And I actually found out why the receiver is being powered even with the U-BEC switched off: I added the switch to the U-BEC negative lead... it happens that it still has the positive hot all the time and it's being grounded through the receiver, then through the ESC servo ground wire then to the battery...

So: should I remove the switch altogether? No real benefit?
Old Jul 08, 2015, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by RS Rogers
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
531 Posts
Yes - remove the switch from the ground. What you may be doing by breaking the ground is creating a "floating" ground that may damage other components.
RS Rogers is offline Find More Posts by RS Rogers
Old Jul 08, 2015, 10:09 AM
Joined Jul 2015
3 Posts
Got it! Thanks a lot!