New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2015, 11:35 PM
Find More Posts by stiks
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
Build Log
EDF Ultra Viper build

So I am starting a new build thread for the EDF Hobbies 85 inch wingspan Ultra Viper. I purchased the viper about 3 months ago; Christmas present to myself. I pretty much purchased everything at the same time mainly from Hobbyking with the exception of the motor, fan and shroud. Later I will post links and pictures for all.

I am starting with the easy work first; cutting the covering off of the servo compartments and dry fitting the components. Right now I am typing on a tablet which is a pain so for this first entry I am keeping it short.... With that said, here are a few pictures that I have taken so far

More to come soon... last thing..i expect to be done with the build by this summer..in time for the big rocket fest that happens up in the Victorville, CA area..

Here is the link for the jet...I purchased the gold and black one;
http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?route=common/home
stiks is offline Find More Posts by stiks
Last edited by stiks; Mar 09, 2015 at 10:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2015, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by sam51401
Fly more Foam
United States, IN, Sellersburg
Joined Jun 2004
1,178 Posts
Go for it stiks!!!!! I have started mine also so be nice to see what other ideas you have to incorporate.
Watching with lots of interest.
Sam
sam51401 is offline Find More Posts by sam51401
Old Mar 05, 2015, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by hotlinercortt
Joined Dec 2012
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam51401 View Post
Go for it stiks!!!!! I have started mine also so be nice to see what other ideas you have to incorporate.
Watching with lots of interest.
Sam

Looks good sticks.. You are suppose to be updating the blog every day dude! Keep us entertained.
hotlinercortt is offline Find More Posts by hotlinercortt
Old Mar 09, 2015, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by stiks
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
After additional work on my home made lip it started to get a bit thin at the base I could have built it up a bit but then decided to try something different. One of the guys in our club had recently been printing parts for his planes and quads so i asked him to give it a try. He pulled the "base" STL file from thingieverse.com and after a couple of hours this is what he came up with ((thanks Wes). The printed lip came out pretty good but based on the feed back from some other jet builders I wasn't sure it would work..so I went on a hunt for an actual carbon fiber lip.

I looked all over for this and was about to order it from RC-turbines but they where out of stock and no one...I mean no one had them this size. So I decided to start emailing any and everyone that carried large size fans when Gary from Efflux RC replied telling me he could get them... so I ordered 2...
Last edited by stiks; Mar 09, 2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 10:20 PM
Find More Posts by stiks
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
While waiting on the lip I picked up these wheels with the electromagnet brakes from hobbyking. These are the 2.75 inch wheels and they have a 4mm axle.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by stiks
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
Sorry if these postings are a little disjointed but I'm trying to give you the details in the same fashion that I bought the parts. A lot of the parts I already have but I didn't want to do just one giant post..so bare with me as we move through all the parts and once we get through this the build will go a bit more seamlessly....
Old Mar 09, 2015, 10:34 PM
Find More Posts by stiks
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
Here are the struts I also picked up from Hobbyking; told you I bought alot from HK.... These are the 127mm struts but the problem is ..is that the axle is a 5mm opening. With that said I had go back to the lab..or actually one of my RC boat buddies lab... he's got a full on machine shop in his garage (shout out to Dan). But before going to him I searched around for some thin brass tubing, specifically a tube with a 5mm outer diameter and a 4mm inn diameter, which I found at the local hobby shop
Last edited by stiks; Mar 09, 2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by stiks
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
On the lip.... the shroud has a larger outer diameter then the lip has an inner diameter so I had to put it on a lathe to shave off a very very thin layer away from the outer diameter of the shroud... now they mate up perfectly. Before it wouldn't fit at all.....
Old Mar 09, 2015, 11:30 PM
Find More Posts by stiks
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
motor and esc

Here is the motor I went with... the HET 800-73-590KV from Efflux RC and the YEP 120amp HV 14cell esc from hobbyking....with 6.5mm castle bullets all around.

Here are the specs on the motor:
KV Rating: 590
◾Rm (Ohm): 12.8
◾Io (A): 1.9A
◾Weight: 17 oz./ 495 g
◾Length: 2.9"/ 73 mm
◾Continous Watts: 7000
◾Max Watts: 8000
◾Li-Po Packs: 12-14S
◾Amp Draw: 160amp esc
◾Diameter: 50 mm
◾Shaft Dia.: 8 mm
◾Poles: 8
◾Recommended advance timing : low
◾Heat Sink Included

Specs for esc:

HV capability for use with up to 14S (51.8V) Lipoly
• Optional programming card for convenient setup
• ESC had separate programming lead built-in so there is no need to unplug from RX
• Super fine throttle resolution provides first-rate and highly accurate linearity
• Super smooth adjustable start-up mode
• Constant RPM mode (governor mode)
• Adjustable F3A brake.
• 3 steps adjustable normal EMF brake
• High anti-interference capability
• Low voltage cut-off protection with automatic adjustment for NiCd/NiMH/Li-Ion/LiPo/LiFePO4
• Soft cut-off option at low voltage, slows motor RPM gradual rather than hard cutoff (LVC)
• Low voltage cut-off can be disabled
• Variable cut-off voltage / cell
• Active free-wheeling circuit allows for unlimited "partial load" capability
• LED status display
• Adjustable motor timing from 0 to 30
• Blocked rotation protection (senses a jammed motor and stops motor rotation)
• Motor reversing from ESC (no need to change ESC/motor wires)
• Over-temperature protection and overload alarm
• Anti sparking circuit: reduces connection sparks
• Throttle signal lose protection. If the signal is lost for 3 seconds, the power will automatically cut-off.
• Safe power-on. (Motor will not start until throttle is returned to lowest position
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:37 AM
Find More Posts by stiks
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
motor with fan mockup

I did a mockup of the motor and fan with shroud... gotta do a little investigating here though. When I seat the motor flush (all the way) inside the shroud with the fan it puts the blades right at the edge of the shroud (see picture 1).

But if I put some small nylon spacers between the motor and shroud it pushes the motor back a bit and drops the fan a bit which seems to be a better fit (see picture 2).

I think picture 2 is the way to go. Based on what I've seen on other sites having the fan at thedge would cost me rpm's....
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:32 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Team Hitec, Customer Support
United States, CA, Poway
Joined Oct 2007
22,903 Posts
So out of curiosity for those who have this jet on 12s... What are the approximate flight times? I see current figures on the website at 3200 watts, which indicates about 6.5-7 minutes of mixed flying with 5000 packs?
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 10, 2015, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by erh7771
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
6,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
So out of curiosity for those who have this jet on 12s... What are the approximate flight times? I see current figures on the website at 3200 watts, which indicates about 6.5-7 minutes of mixed flying with 5000 packs?
Yes, slightly longer ... in the video Dave couldn't tell me how long I was up so I landed with 2 mins left on the flight...

The point was to show how fast the model can go on just 3200 watts... if you're happy with that you will love the JF on 12s 4400 watts or go ballistic at 6500 watts

Here's the model on 4700 watts.... He's saying he's getting 5 mins flight times at 5000 mah 12s ....

Ultra Viper 120 With Ramtec Fan (0 min 23 sec)

I think I can get near 7 mins with throttle control at 3200 watts 5k 12s
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2015, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by stiks
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Yes, slightly longer ... in the video Dave couldn't tell me how long I was up so I landed with 2 mins left on the flight...

The point was to show how fast the model can go on just 3200 watts... if you're happy with that you will love the JF on 12s 4400 watts or go ballistic at 6500 watts

Here's the model on 4700 watts.... He's saying he's getting 5 mins flight times at 5000 mah 12s ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK5heKi1fIk

I think I can get near 7 mins with throttle control at 3200 watts 5k 12s
Elmer, thanks for the input and answers... I finally started... stay tuned
Old Mar 10, 2015, 06:04 PM
Find More Posts by rvincent
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
29,667 Posts
I don't know there Elmer? My A-4 runs at about 4800 watts and cruising with some high speed passes and vertical runs I can get 4-1/2 tops without killing my packs. With 6600 packs i get comfortable 5 minutes including taxi out and back and no stress on the packs.
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Mar 10, 2015, 06:05 PM
Find More Posts by erh7771
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
6,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
I don't know there Elmer? My A-4 runs at about 4800 watts and cruising with some high speed passes and vertical runs I can get 4-1/2 tops without killing my packs. With 6600 packs i get comfortable 5 minutes including taxi out and back and no stress on the packs.
Just like on the SM Viper you can't stay on the stick or it's gone, ....

6 second burst and it's 1 second to long and turning around ...

It's a big glider, I've done off power glides... no power at all... through the length of our flying field....
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member