Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
640 Posts
Discussion
F3K Smart Power

Hi Guys,

I saw this a few weeks back and decided to order it,

http://rcmdevices.wix.com/english#!products-eng/c1fn4

Just wondering if anyone else in the DLG community has used this before and has some feedback, or knows of anyone?

I know the idea of a 1s is to reduce weight, increase capacity and have less components to fail, but seems like a neat compact system for ensuring a decent steady voltage supply to our DLG's with peace of mind.

All the best

D
drmgcm is offline Find More Posts by drmgcm
Last edited by drmgcm; Jan 04, 2014 at 04:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2014, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by robertboxhoorn
Flying Dutchman!
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
377 Posts
8gr?? Dang thats a full stabeliser :-o
robertboxhoorn is offline Find More Posts by robertboxhoorn
Old Jan 04, 2014, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Canada, ON, Morriston
Joined Apr 2010
2,882 Posts
1 cell operation is more about capacity than weight. For example a 2 cell pack providing 350 mah might equal the weight of a single cell with 1000 mah.

Its a neat device and its likely the 8 grams will be needed anyways to balance the glider so its doing no harm but its simply not needed IMO
DLGjunkyard is online now Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Jan 04, 2014, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by Paul Harvey
Canada
Joined Jun 2009
524 Posts
I don't see a mah rating and the receiver protocol is PPM so 2.4 rx's are left out.
Paul Harvey is offline Find More Posts by Paul Harvey
Old Jan 07, 2014, 05:21 AM
Find More Posts by jetigm
Joined Aug 2009
44 Posts
Hi Guys
Quote:
the receiver protocol is PPM so 2.4 rx's are left out
In specs was a mistake, the device supports the standard PWM so it's ok for a 2.4 and others RX's.
jetigm is offline Find More Posts by jetigm
Last edited by jetigm; Jan 07, 2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2014, 07:16 AM
Find More Posts by drmgcm
Joined Nov 2005
640 Posts
I thought as much, would of been silly only supporting PPM!

Thanks for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetigm View Post
Hi Guys

In specs was a mistake, the device supports the standard PWM so it's ok for a 2.4 and others RX's.
Old Jan 07, 2014, 10:25 AM
Bro
Find More Posts by Bro
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,999 Posts
Smart Power

Howdy,
We have been selling these for a month or so now.
The reports we get back are all very good!

http://www.soaringusa.com/Smart-Power-F3K-1s.html

Happy New Year!
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2015
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:04 PM
Joined Nov 2005
640 Posts
Just an update on this 1s booster, been testing it for a little while, and i like it, it kicks out between 4.8v & 5v.

Real world figures from my perspective, I have been using this in one of my DLG's which uses a JR 631B receiver with the telemetry and a altimeter module, one JR285 servo on the elevator and two Airtronics 802's for the wing, so more drain than usual, not measured the drain exactly.

So from a fully charged 1s 1200mah nanotech round cell at 4.2v I have been getting consistently 1 hr 10 mins of solid DLG flying down to a voltage of 3.79v on the lipo.

I am lead to believe that the usable mah of the 1s lipo reduces down to about 800mah when using it through a booster.

The warning signal emitted from the booster on startup at 4.2v is 4 beeps and it goes dow to 2 beeps at 3.79v.

Neat piece of gear.

D
Old Apr 15, 2014, 04:33 PM
Find More Posts by gtrbaby
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2011
1,137 Posts
standard flying on a 1200mAh single cell you can run 4 to 5hrs .....must really drain the power out!
gtrbaby is offline Find More Posts by gtrbaby
Old Apr 15, 2014, 05:27 PM
Joined Nov 2005
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrbaby View Post
standard flying on a 1200mAh single cell you can run 4 to 5hrs .....must really drain the power out!
Never had 4 - 5hrs out out of a 1200mah cell on 1s alone, 2hrs max to 3.79v, I never go below that personally. and with telemetry, and altimeter there probably is a great deal of drain.

Good that you can get that much out of your lipo, you must be going lower than 3.79v to get length of time.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by gtrbaby
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2011
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmgcm View Post
Never had 4 - 5hrs out out of a 1200mah cell on 1s alone, 2hrs max to 3.79v, I never go below that personally. and with telemetry, and altimeter there probably is a great deal of drain.

Good that you can get that much out of your lipo, you must be going lower than 3.79v to get length of time.
yep 3.6 cutoff - works sweet. it also depends on how often you wiggle the sticks
gtrbaby is offline Find More Posts by gtrbaby
Old Apr 15, 2014, 05:55 PM
Joined Nov 2005
640 Posts
Will have to try the 3.6v cut off, and see what happens, and yep in winds constantly so i am forced to wiggle the sticks from time to time
Old May 08, 2014, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by jetigm
Joined Aug 2009
44 Posts
Quote:
it kicks out between 4.8v & 5v
It is but in real may be even better because the telemetry data is no very precise, try to measure the output voltage by a good tester and you will see that it very close to 5.0V. And the other cool thing is that the voltage is about 4.95-4.98 at full load of 1.1A current.
Quote:
So from a fully charged 1s 1200mah nanotech round cell at 4.2v I have been getting consistently 1 hr 10 mins of solid DLG flying down to a voltage of 3.79v on the lipo.
I think you can get more time from your 1200. Try to fly with fourth (3.5V) and fifth (3.55V) settings until the "first low battery alarm" will beep. Don't forget that the "first low battery alarm" is not a dicharged battery, but it close and how much - this depends by a specific battery, a load and how fast you moving the stiks
I get about 4 hours from my 1000mAh NanoTech on my DLG, uses Futaba3154 x2, D05010MG and some simple analog servo and Hitec micro receiver. I use third (3.45V) setting and have about 10 minutes from "first low battery alarm" to full discharge.
Quote:
I am lead to believe that the usable mah of the 1s lipo reduces down to about 800mah when using it through a booster.
Well, I think it is a bit more because the mean efficiency of the booster is about 85%.
jetigm is offline Find More Posts by jetigm
Last edited by jetigm; May 08, 2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old May 08, 2014, 01:08 PM
Joined Nov 2005
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetigm View Post
It is but in real may be even better because the telemetry data is no very precise, try to measure the output voltage by a good tester and you will see that it very close to 5.0V. And the other cool thing is that the voltage is about 4.95-4.98 at full load of 1.1A current.

I think you can get more time from your 1200. Try to fly with fourth (3.5V) and fifth (3.55V) settings until the "first low battery alarm" will beep. Don't forget that the "first low battery alarm" is not a dicharged battery, but it close and how much - this depends by a specific battery, a load and how fast you moving the stiks
I get about 4 hours from my 1000mAh NanoTech on my DLG, uses Futaba3154 x2, D05010MG and some simple analog servo and Hitec micro receiver. I use third (3.45V) setting and have about 10 minutes from "first low battery alarm" to full discharge.

Well, I think it is a bit more because the mean efficiency of the booster is about 85%.

Hey thanks for you info man, realy appreciate this.

D
Old Jan 17, 2016, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by wdwimbish
Wayne Wimbish
United States, MO, St Peters
Joined Aug 2008
462 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread. Do any of you guys have a copy of the instructions for this? Need to know how to program this and interpret the beeps.

Thanks,
Wayne
wdwimbish is offline Find More Posts by wdwimbish