Thread Tools
Old Sep 30, 2015, 01:06 AM
Jim Lee is offline
Find More Posts by Jim Lee
AMA # 75962
Jim Lee's Avatar
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPB View Post
J.
I'm glad you got a chance to fly today. Keep me posted if you have any problems with the landing gear. I'm encouraged that it is working out ok so far.

I don't have the option of a paved runway. Our field is short grass...short, but grass nevertheless. A few days ago, I was out flying my Commander 40 EP. On my second takeoff, the landing gear just ripped out of the bottom of the plane. The mounting plate broke loose from the plywood internal structure of the plane. I think the landing gear's digging into the ground when the axle broke must have done more damage than I realized. I have glued it back with 30-minute epoxy and will try to get out in the next day or two to see if it holds.

Ray

Ray,
I took the Taiji .40 out again today and the landing gear is holding up so far, I'm going out again tomorrow and will put some more flights on the gear. I landed in the grass next to the hard surfaced runway and altho I did collect a few weeds, in the wheel pants, I didn't poke any holes in the covering.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:21 PM
RayPB is offline
Find More Posts by RayPB
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
RayPB's Avatar
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
444 Posts
J.,

Thanks for the updates.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2015, 09:52 PM
Jim Lee is offline
Find More Posts by Jim Lee
AMA # 75962
Jim Lee's Avatar
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPB View Post
J.,

Thanks for the updates.

Ray
More flights on the TaiJi .40 and the new landing gear is still looking GOOOOOOOOOD!!! Hope it continues to do so. The original landing gear was splintered with the amount of flights that I have on the new Carbon Fiber gear and the new Carbon Fiber landing gear, look like I just put them on today.
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2015, 03:16 PM
RayPB is offline
Find More Posts by RayPB
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
RayPB's Avatar
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
More flights on the TaiJi .40 and the new landing gear is still looking GOOOOOOOOOD!!! Hope it continues to do so. The original landing gear was splintered with the amount of flights that I have on the new Carbon Fiber gear and the new Carbon Fiber landing gear, look like I just put them on today.
I just ordered the HobbyKing landing gear. This will be one of my winter projects. I plan to drill a 4 mm hole for the axle because this seems to be the axle size of most of the wheels that seem suitable for flying the Airmaster 40 (Commander 40) off a grass field. The carbon fiber part of the landing gear is holding up fine so far, but don't like the flimsy wheels that fit the 3 mm axles (bolts).

The Airmaster 40 uses 3 mm bolts as the axles, so I plan to use 4 mm bolts as axles. I would far prefer using standard RC axles that have a smooth 4 mm shaft inside the wheel hub rather than the threads of the 4 mm bolts, but the hole in the landing gear the standard RC axle requires seems to be too large for the amount of material available. I'm afraid the landing gear would break if I made a hole in it large enough for the standard 4 mm RC axles. I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

Also, if you have any hints on getting the bolt holes just right where the landing gear bolts to the plane, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:59 AM
Jim Lee is offline
Find More Posts by Jim Lee
AMA # 75962
Jim Lee's Avatar
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPB View Post
I just ordered the HobbyKing landing gear. This will be one of my winter projects. I plan to drill a 4 mm hole for the axle because this seems to be the axle size of most of the wheels that seem suitable for flying the Airmaster 40 (Commander 40) off a grass field. The carbon fiber part of the landing gear is holding up fine so far, but don't like the flimsy wheels that fit the 3 mm axles (bolts).

The Airmaster 40 uses 3 mm bolts as the axles, so I plan to use 4 mm bolts as axles. I would far prefer using standard RC axles that have a smooth 4 mm shaft inside the wheel hub rather than the threads of the 4 mm bolts, but the hole in the landing gear the standard RC axle requires seems to be too large for the amount of material available. I'm afraid the landing gear would break if I made a hole in it large enough for the standard 4 mm RC axles. I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

Also, if you have any hints on getting the bolt holes just right where the landing gear bolts to the plane, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Ray
Ray, I just used the original axel shafts, I did, however get rid of the foam wheels that came with the plane and went to a better wheel, altho since I fly mainly off of a smooth runway, I did use a slightly smaller wheel (1-3/4")

As far as getting the bolt holes right, I just used the old landing gear as a pattern. I also made a cover plate to sandwich the gear between ( see my post 129 on page 9, far right photo) to help keep them from flexing the mount. I believe that I had to use a little longer bolt, but can't be 100% positive about that.

So far I haven't had any problems with the new landing gear and wheels, but I didn't get out to fly as much as I would have liked, since other commitments had to take priority.

Hopefully, I'll be able to devote more time next flying season to flying the TaiJi Super 40 or maybe even some more this season, if the weather co-operates.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2015, 09:20 AM
RayPB is offline
Find More Posts by RayPB
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
RayPB's Avatar
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
Ray, ...
As far as getting the bolt holes right, I just used the old landing gear as a pattern. I also made a cover plate to sandwich the gear between ( see my post 129 on page 9, far right photo) to help keep them from flexing the mount. I believe that I had to use a little longer bolt, but can't be 100% positive about that...

J
J.
Thanks. I'll use the old landing gear as a pattern. The Airmaster 40 comes with a plastic plate that functions somewhat like the cover plate you made. I'll use that to begin with and replace it if it seems necessary.

I'll let you know how things work out. It will probably be next spring before my next flight with the Airmaster 40. Looks like winter is closing in here in SE Minnesota.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2015, 01:00 PM
Jim Lee is offline
Find More Posts by Jim Lee
AMA # 75962
Jim Lee's Avatar
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPB View Post
J.
Thanks. I'll use the old landing gear as a pattern. The Airmaster 40 comes with a plastic plate that functions somewhat like the cover plate you made. I'll use that to begin with and replace it if it seems necessary.

I'll let you know how things work out. It will probably be next spring before my next flight with the Airmaster 40. Looks like winter is closing in here in SE Minnesota.

Ray
You could always put snow skies on the Airmaster 40 and fly off of the snow. I have a set that I got a couple of years ago, but never used them, after reading on the forum that floats worked better off of snow, however skies would work, if the skies would hold the weight of the plane, without sinking in the snow. I guess that could work in Minnesota, where the temps get way below freezing.

I wish I could have gotten more flights in and been able to land in the grass, (but since it was so dry here this Summer, no one mowed the grass, er, I mean weeds, since they were the only thing growing), that would have given me a better idea of how well the carbon fiber gear would hold up.

I hope that you have better luck with the new landing gear, than we had with the stock gear.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:04 AM
RayPB is offline
Find More Posts by RayPB
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
RayPB's Avatar
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
444 Posts
Looking for 4mm axles

As I mentioned above, I would like to put 4mm axles on the new landing gear because the wheels I'd like to use require that. I'm concerned that the threaded portion of the 4mm axles I've seen is too large, and that drilling a hole in the landing gear for them will weaken the landing gear. I'd like to find axles that have the threaded part the same thickness as the axle. I found them on the site listed below, but it looks like a site in India.

http://www.rcbazaar.com/products/222...gear-axle.aspx

Is anyone aware of some place in the States that offers similar axles?

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2015, 03:03 PM
drac is offline
Find More Posts by drac
Registered User
drac's Avatar
Australia, TAS, Burnie
Joined Jul 2008
87 Posts
I use these on 2m Pattern Ships.

https://www.centralhobbies.com/subca...&id=25&sub=128
drac is offline Find More Posts by drac
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2015, 08:46 PM
RayPB is offline
Find More Posts by RayPB
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
RayPB's Avatar
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
444 Posts
Installed new landing gear on Airmaster 40

I finally have installed my new carbon fiber landing gear from HobbyKing. I went with 4 mm bolts 3 cm long for the axles. I had to send away for the bolts but, for some reason, I was able to find 4 mm nuts at Ace Hardware. I also had to send away for metric drill bits. I absolutely could not find them at any hardware store or Home Depot.

The carbon fiber drilled very easily. I taped the old landing gear to the carbon fiber landing gear to use as a template. It worked great. Each landing gear piece is fastened to the plane by two 3 mm bolts. I put the holes for the axles about 1 cm from the end of the landing gear.

The new landing gear is swept back more sharply than the original gear. I will definitely need to hold lots of up elevator as I pick up speed when taking off from our grass field. I'm looking forward to spring when I can try out the new gear.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:05 PM
Jim Lee is offline
Find More Posts by Jim Lee
AMA # 75962
Jim Lee's Avatar
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPB View Post
I finally have installed my new carbon fiber landing gear from HobbyKing. I went with 4 mm bolts 3 cm long for the axles. I had to send away for the bolts but, for some reason, I was able to find 4 mm nuts at Ace Hardware. I also had to send away for metric drill bits. I absolutely could not find them at any hardware store or Home Depot.

The carbon fiber drilled very easily. I taped the old landing gear to the carbon fiber landing gear to use as a template. It worked great. Each landing gear piece is fastened to the plane by two 3 mm bolts. I put the holes for the axles about 1 cm from the end of the landing gear.

The new landing gear is swept back more sharply than the original gear. I will definitely need to hold lots of up elevator as I pick up speed when taking off from our grass field. I'm looking forward to spring when I can try out the new gear.

Ray
Nice Job Ray, looks good. When I first looked at the second photo, I thought that the wheels were quite a ways under the wing, then I realized that I was being fooled by the fuselage graphics, but you're right, the replacement gear is swept back farther than the stock landing gear.

Hope the new carbon fiber gear holds up well. I'm still very happy with the way it's holding up on the taiji .40, keep us posted when you get to fly with the new landing gear.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:01 PM
drac is offline
Find More Posts by drac
Registered User
drac's Avatar
Australia, TAS, Burnie
Joined Jul 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPB View Post
I finally have installed my new carbon fiber landing gear from HobbyKing. I went with 4 mm bolts 3 cm long for the axles. I had to send away for the bolts but, for some reason, I was able to find 4 mm nuts at Ace Hardware. I also had to send away for metric drill bits. I absolutely could not find them at any hardware store or Home Depot.

The carbon fiber drilled very easily. I taped the old landing gear to the carbon fiber landing gear to use as a template. It worked great. Each landing gear piece is fastened to the plane by two 3 mm bolts. I put the holes for the axles about 1 cm from the end of the landing gear.

The new landing gear is swept back more sharply than the original gear. I will definitely need to hold lots of up elevator as I pick up speed when taking off from our grass field. I'm looking forward to spring when I can try out the new gear.

Ray
4mm is the same size as 5/32".
drac is offline Find More Posts by drac
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:38 PM
RayPB is offline
Find More Posts by RayPB
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
RayPB's Avatar
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drac View Post
4mm is the same size as 5/32".
True, but I needed to drill out the wheel hubs as well as drill the 3 mm holes for the bolts to the fuselage, so I wanted to be as close as possible to the metric sizes.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:52 PM
drac is offline
Find More Posts by drac
Registered User
drac's Avatar
Australia, TAS, Burnie
Joined Jul 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPB View Post
True, but I needed to drill out the wheel hubs as well as drill the 3 mm holes for the bolts to the fuselage, so I wanted to be as close as possible to the metric sizes.

Ray
I have both imperial and metric drill sets. I also have a set of number drills and it's surprising how often I use them.
drac is offline Find More Posts by drac
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2015, 04:47 PM
Jim Lee is offline
Find More Posts by Jim Lee
AMA # 75962
Jim Lee's Avatar
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drac View Post
I have both imperial and metric drill sets. I also have a set of number drills and it's surprising how often I use them.

There's nothing like having the right tool for the Job, I've got thousands of $ invested in tools, but since I made my living as a mechanic, I really needed all of the "right" tools and as you well know, a man can never have too many tools.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold NIB World Model Little Toni EP 40" wing span Reno Racer ARF gabrielisrael Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 12, 2011 02:07 PM
Wanted power system for a .60 P-40 and super sporster .40 sagomon Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 2 Sep 05, 2011 02:32 PM
Found Super Tiger 40 or Thunder Tiger .40 pro Tetex79 Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 1 Jun 03, 2011 03:51 PM
Discussion Modeltech Super Cub Gen-II Glow/EP 40 ARF FlyingBeaver Scale ARF/RTF 5 Feb 03, 2010 06:29 PM