New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2015, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by Lock_Stock
Joined Aug 2015
3 Posts
Help!
Seized screws on Heat Sink Head

Hi guys, I've recently digged out my Tamiya Nitro Thunder that had been sitting in my garage for probably about 2 years now... I know its terrible but I was preoccupied with studies etc. so didn't get a chance to play with it.

In the last couple of days I've been attempting to strip everything down, replace anything that's worn and try and get it running again. Possibly due to the fact that it's been sitting so long the screws on the Heat Sink Head have seized and I can only undo one, the other three are as tight as anything. Tried WD-40 but that's seemingly done nothing. What other alternatives are there considering the limited space in and around the screws.

Cheers
Lock_Stock is offline Find More Posts by Lock_Stock
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2015, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by txt killer
Joined Apr 2008
1,734 Posts
Use a punch and strike the cap screws 3-4 times each to loosen them. if you have stripped the cap screws then you will have to drill the heads off to remove the head. You can also try a torx allen wrench to try and remove the stripped cap screws to.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Old Aug 17, 2015, 09:38 AM
Joined Aug 2015
3 Posts
The screws are cross head rather than cap screws which makes it even more difficult. I feel like with the amount of times I've tried to loosen them I'm starting to ruin the screws. I'll give what you said a go, cheers
Old Aug 17, 2015, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by MaxOverdrive
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2015
523 Posts
Try this.. helps me out on rusted bolts. but this is fuzzed due to aluminum and steel bolts..http://www.mscdirect.com/product/det...S_010=74233156
MaxOverdrive is offline Find More Posts by MaxOverdrive
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:05 AM
Joined Aug 2015
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOverdrive View Post
Try this.. helps me out on rusted bolts. but this is fuzzed due to aluminum and steel bolts..http://www.mscdirect.com/product/det...S_010=74233156
Cheers for that, looks like amazon sell it in the UK so I'll go ahead and order that if nothing else works
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:26 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,734 Posts
Don't waste your money on that. The engine block is aluminum. All you can do is use a punch to loosen the screws and if you strip out the heads then you will have to drill of the tops and replace the screws with cap screws.
Old Sep 01, 2015, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by crazyfrog1
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Jan 2015
801 Posts
I've never done it as this is a last resort if you did snap the head off you could strip the engine down to the bare engine block and use aluminium sulfate as that will eat the steel but not the aluminium.
crazyfrog1 is offline Find More Posts by crazyfrog1
Old Sep 02, 2015, 09:51 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,734 Posts
My method is way better!
Old Sep 02, 2015, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by crazyfrog1
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Jan 2015
801 Posts
Nah it would be too easy to crack the engine block with a punch. Both of these are last resorts and I wouldn't mind use either method unless your desperate.
crazyfrog1 is offline Find More Posts by crazyfrog1
Old Sep 03, 2015, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by Barracuz
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfrog1 View Post
Nah it would be too easy to crack the engine block with a punch. Both of these are last resorts and I wouldn't mind use either method unless your desperate.

Chances of cracking your block or head or slim. Both are made from cast aluminum, aluminum is a flexible metal. You will most likely bend a few fins or distort the block a tad but highly unlikely. But as always a small "womens home tool kit" hammer is enough.

The screws are most certainly gummed up. Best, fastest easier way is to heat up the engine with a heat gun or blow torch around the bolts, not the bolts them selves. Then place the engine in a vice , not to tight, or supported on a block of wood and use a small chisel or flat head screw driver to wack the head bolts at an angle driving the screw in a counter clockwise motion.

Lots of rc hex cap screws/bolts have grooved or etches along the circumfrence of the head making it even easier to loosen them. If its a smooth head then give the head a wack at a perpendicular angle making a step where you can safely drive it at an angle
Barracuz is offline Find More Posts by Barracuz
Old Sep 04, 2015, 03:32 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,734 Posts
Heat is not the answer but +1 on the hitting the screws with a punch a couple times each. It works every time. If the screws strip out then all you can do is drill off the heads and the head will be removed.